Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Factory Navigation to Radio Delete conversion questions

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Completed this today. As a reference for others who want to do the same, here is what you will need:

    Radio delete panel (65128229147)
    Radio frame mounting bracket (51458237560)
    New instrument panel switch center without rounded corners (51168268891)
    Sunglass tray(51168260312)
    Release Tool (83-30-0-493-961) (comes as a pair, order 1x)
    Sheet Metal Screw(07-11-9-904-176) (you will need quantity 4x)

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2352.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	253.5 KB
ID:	219301
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2353.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	269.8 KB
ID:	219300
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2349.jpg
Views:	452
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	219296
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2350.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	219294
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2351.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	219297
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2354.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	158.2 KB
ID:	219298
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2355.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	242.0 KB
ID:	219299
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2356.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	219295
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2358.jpg
Views:	550
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	219302


    ​​

    Comment


      #17
      I'm working on this project today, but I'm trying to also delete the wiring harness. I have not pulled the dash (yet!). At about where the driver's right knee would rest, attached to the trans tunnel, the Nav harness splits (see photo). The thinner branch of the split goes up and towards the front of the car. For the life of me, I can't find the other end, and I'm assuming it terminates with a connector? Maybe it goes to the passenger side? And just to confirm, the Nav harness is COMPLETELY stand-alone, so removing it won't affect anything else? There's also a connector near the head unit that did not plug into the head unit itself, I'm guessing it's power for the Nav? Photo of that attached. Thanks in advance!


      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0656.jpg Views:	0 Size:	124.7 KB ID:	265802 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0654.jpg Views:	0 Size:	143.1 KB ID:	265803
      Last edited by Maxxfish; 05-25-2024, 09:35 AM.

      Comment


        #18
        Originally posted by Maxxfish View Post
        ~
        I removed the nav harness on my car, in your second picture of the 2 connectors, the one you have already disconnected is the main connector for the nav harness connecting to the car, the other points are the connections for the screen and also the 2 front doors, the speaker wires run up front to the door rubber grommets, you can remove their plug from the bigger connector there. If you loosen the bottom dash bolts there should be enough room to slightly lift the dash and pull the harness entirely out.
        E46 ///M3 • 12/2002 • phönix-gelb • 6MT
        E39 ///M5 • 12/1998 • avus-blau • 6MT
        E60 ///M5 • 11/2006 • saphir-schwarz • 6MT

        Contact e-mail -> jasper (at) dentmparts.nl
        D&T M Parts -> dentmparts.com -> used euro parts for M vehicles

        Comment


          #19
          Thanks bmwfnatic I was able to get out the whole Nav harness. Now a question for everyone, more of an opinion poll. I'm building my car as a Ring Tool (streetable track car). Which looks better, a factory-style Nav/radio delete, or this aftermarket delete panel? I already have the parts to do either one, and I'd probably do a phone mount on the large delete panel.

          Click image for larger version

Name:	5hyJ4mz.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	266469 Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-05-28 at 5.35.11 PM.png
Views:	310
Size:	858.0 KB
ID:	266470










          ​

          Comment


            #20
            Originally posted by Maxxfish View Post
            Thanks bmwfnatic I was able to get out the whole Nav harness. Now a question for everyone, more of an opinion poll. I'm building my car as a Ring Tool (streetable track car). Which looks better, a factory-style Nav/radio delete, or this aftermarket delete panel? I already have the parts to do either one, and I'd probably do a phone mount on the large delete panel.

            Click image for larger version

Name:	5hyJ4mz.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	266469 Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-05-28 at 5.35.11 PM.png
Views:	310
Size:	858.0 KB
ID:	266470










            ​
            Factory style delete imo, it's what I did. If you're going to run additional gauges then the panel makes sense.

            Comment


              #21
              Originally posted by Fresh6390 View Post

              You are correct on all parts needed. I just did this exact modification. I find it cool that bmw made radio delete plates.

              From my experience, you will definitely need to remove, or at least unplug, the amplifier from rear as when I reconnected battery after removing just the nav unit I got loud static (radio) noise. Only way to turn down noise was steering wheel controls. I am deleting those too so I remove nav, amp, and CD player from brackets in trunk.
              Happen to have the part number for the 3 or 4 button center console switch? Looking for the below options on the switch:

              Sport, DSC, TPMS, and maybe Sound (HK)
              2005 E46 ///M3 Interlagos Blue

              BBS - Recaro - JRZ - PFC - Dixis Spirit - Supersprint - Haimus - Vorshlag - RKP - YFCM - Ground Control - DMG Autosport - Diffsonline - Autosolutions - ​Koyo - Mile End Composites - GC

              https://www.instagram.com/justanotham4/

              Comment


                #22
                Originally posted by Projecte46m3 View Post

                Happen to have the part number for the 3 or 4 button center console switch? Looking for the below options on the switch:

                Sport, DSC, TPMS, and maybe Sound (HK)
                I *think* the 3 button one with Sport, DSC and TPMS is 61316925513
                2005 ///M3 SMG Coupe Silbergrau Metallic/CSL bucket seats/CSL airbox/CSL console/6 point RACP brace/Apex ARC-8s
                Build Thread | Community Patch | MSS54 DS2 Tool

                Comment


                  #23
                  Originally posted by karter16 View Post

                  I *think* the 3 button one with Sport, DSC and TPMS is 61316925513
                  Correct, the one from my CSL was 6925513, that one is pretty rare and therefore valuable.
                  But there's like 3 sets of part numbers depending on the year, it can also be found under 6911674.

                  I've had one with the HK button also and that one was 6914748
                  E46 ///M3 • 12/2002 • phönix-gelb • 6MT
                  E39 ///M5 • 12/1998 • avus-blau • 6MT
                  E60 ///M5 • 11/2006 • saphir-schwarz • 6MT

                  Contact e-mail -> jasper (at) dentmparts.nl
                  D&T M Parts -> dentmparts.com -> used euro parts for M vehicles

                  Comment


                    #24
                    Time to go hunting!
                    2005 E46 ///M3 Interlagos Blue

                    BBS - Recaro - JRZ - PFC - Dixis Spirit - Supersprint - Haimus - Vorshlag - RKP - YFCM - Ground Control - DMG Autosport - Diffsonline - Autosolutions - ​Koyo - Mile End Composites - GC

                    https://www.instagram.com/justanotham4/

                    Comment


                      #25
                      Originally posted by T.J. View Post

                      My experience is the opposite. I’d liken it to a remote control with a display
                      Can anyone confirm (or refute) that the audio system is still functional if the Navigation head unit is removed? If so it sounds potentially feasible to use BlueBus as audio source and possibly have volume/track control via steering wheel buttons. I'm very interested in this approach.

                      t3ddftw Any chance you can offer some expert advise here?

                      Comment


                        #26
                        I can confirm that the radio still works when the nav unit is deleted. When I did my delete, I took the head unit out before I disconnected the components in the trunk. The radio came on incredibly loud and scared the hell out of me.

                        I can’t confirm if the steering wheel buttons were still functional because I did the steering wheel button delete trim at the same time.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X