Vanos time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vanos time?

Started up my car this morning. Then heard some noise in the engine , passenger side, after the noise car was misfiring.
    Check engine light came on, got codes
    P0014-b camshaft position timing over - advanced or system performance bank 1.
    P0012- a camshaft position timing over-retarded bank 1
    P0300-random/multiple cylinder misfire detected.

So I'm thinking its time for a vanos rebuild
    These are the parts I have already
    I also ordered dr vanos cam bolt kit.
    What else should I get?

Attached Files
    Last edited by M3powerzz; 05-22-2023, 01:45 PM.

It looks like everything is there. For those codes, I guess they would go away with a replacement VANOS solenoid pack which you have in the pictures.

Edit: You are missing the Beisan VANOS internal seals. You probably want to install those while everything is out.
    Last edited by Slideways; 05-22-2023, 04:22 PM.

Comment

There is a link to a thread in the diy sticky.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170709/b427cc1ecdc0899673ce51539b3394e1.jpg http://web.archive.org/web/20180214064458im_/http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170709/a40017b090c94ffa891574d94069c3c0.jpg Disclaimer: ( Most of the M3Forum links below do not work anymore ) Please read and completely understand the timing

S54 Vanos Info Thread

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Same exact codes my 2003 was throwing and it was the Vanos solenoid pack. Car was misfiring at idle, then anything past 3k RPM's and it was smooth as butter but a loss of power all the way round.

I diagnosed it and mechanically the valve body was sound, it was the solenoid pack solders that had failed. Bought a Beisan unit to replace the 8K Beisan unit, cleared the codes and the car is back to normal. If you haven't rebuilt your Vanos, you're doing it all at the right time.

Comment

It was never rebuilt, car got 178k now . Its the noise that I heard that worries me, ..like something broke or came loose.
          So going to take the valve cover off tomorrow and see if I could find anything broken, this happen first startup in the morning , so I'm glad it didn't happen while I was driving.

I'm going to follow this direction
          Last edited by M3powerzz; 05-23-2023, 03:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by M3powerzz View Post
            It was never rebuilt, car got 178k now . Its the noise that I heard that worries me, ..like something broke or came loose.
            So going to take the valve cover off tomorrow and see if I could find anything broken, this happen first startup in the morning , so I'm glad it didn't happen while I was driving.

I'm going to follow this direction
            https://m3support.net/thread/60/e46-m3-vanos-diy
            At that mileage, the upper timing chain guide is most likely broken and causing the noise. Typically, the broken part just stays where it is.

I suggest sticking to the Beisan instructions and following them word for word. It is much more detailed and has more instructions for reassembly that are very important.

Comment

A broken upper chain guide might cause the noise, but it should not cause the vanos codes, so I think something else broke that caused the noise -- like the driving tangs on the EX hub, or the loosen chain jumped the sprocket. If the hub tangs broke off, then no hydraulic pressure, and could cause the intake cam retarded and EX cam advanced (might be the broken piece wedged in there and pushed the splined shaft rearward). I'm interested of what you find in there with the VC removed.

Comment

I took the valve cover off. From what I could see, nothing is broken. Ok the first thing, does anyone know which brand 24mm wrench that fits the camshaft so I could rotate it. Also how hard is it to depin the vanos solenoid valve connector, the connector housing broke while taking it off, also the wires cracked too. I also need a solenoid valve body, one of the torx bolts rounded out. Ex tabs seem to be intact.
                Attached Files

Comment

Those broken wires are highly suspicious. It's a bit hard to tell from the pictures, but it looks that at least one ground wire and one solenoid wire are broken. I'd start by fixing that harness.
                  2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

I'm going to get a used harness if I could find one, solder and shrink wrap.

Comment

I took the valve cover off. From what I could see, nothing is broken. Ok the first thing, does anyone know which brand 24mm wrench that fits the camshaft so I could rotate it. Also how hard is it to depin the vanos solenoid valve connector, the connector housing broke while taking it off, also the wires cracked too. I also need a solenoid valve body, one of the torx bolts rounded out. Ex tabs seem to be intact.
                      Those torx bolts are very low torque. Put a vice grip on it and it should be removable. Or cut the torx head. It's not worth getting another valve body.

Comment

I will try it this weekend.

Comment

I took the valve cover off. From what I could see, nothing is broken. .
                          Hopefully the solenoid broken wires caused the vanos click on click off and the noise you heard.
                          To see the hub tangs more clearly, push the pump disk forward until bottomed out then the tangs can be seen.

Comment

Not difficult to de-pin the VANOS connector. Did it myself a year ago. There's a pink bit in the connector that slides out/detaches and then it's easy to de-pin and replace it.

Regards

Comment

I will do the depin, get a new connector , solder and shrink wrap.. Anyone knows the part# for the solenoid pack torx bolts?

Comment

Working...
                              X