Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Misfire - Wet Spark Plug on Cylinder 3, But Cylinder 4 Low Compression...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BMWahba View Post
    and I don't beat on it
    Think I found the problem. Just j/k, sorry you're having issues Michael.
    DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
    /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
    More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

“It sat with "oldish" fuel in it, that was the worse thing that happened. And that fuel was about 6 months old, max.​”

A year old fuel is nothing to worry about.

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post
        “It sat with "oldish" fuel in it, that was the worse thing that happened. And that fuel was about 6 months old, max.​”

A year old fuel is nothing to worry about.
        Ha, that's what I thought but here we are..

Current:

1997 BMW M3 - Boston Green/Modena
        2003 BMW M3 · Coupe · 6MT - Alpine White/M-Texture Alcantara

Comment

Ha, that's what I thought but here we are..
          Fuel is a very good solvent, new or old. You're thinking it's like thick paint. How do you know the leaking injectors are due to 6 month fuel and not something else?

Comment

Update:
            spoon full of oil got compression on cylinder 4 back up to 150.

so please, can someone help me understand what is going on. This is so strange.

Again for clarity: Cylinder 3 is the one that I would suspect a “wash out” considering it was visibly wet. But cylinder 4 is the one I had a low compression on. After adding oil, on a cold compression, all cylinders are reading 150.

How can I rule out a piston ring issue at this stage?

for safety, I am swapping all 6 injectors with a used spare set.

Current:

Comment

Another question: is there any validity to a possible coil pack failure on one or more cylinder to cause injectors to keep firing and thus cause some of these strange symptoms?

Current:

Comment

Hence my extreme frustration, sadness and confusion all at the same time. This car was running perfectly and I don't beat on it. It sat with "oldish" fuel in it, that was the worse thing that happened. And that fuel was about 6 months old, max.

I tested it twice cold, one at 98 and the other at 102.

I am doing the oil spoon method today. Will update.
                Yeah, it’s very surprising. I’m leaning toward the fact that it’s just something simple. Bad gas seems like a stretch.

You snag a borescope?

Do a leak down and see where all that “lost” compression is going.

on my engine that had a blown HG it was very easy to feel/hear the air moving into adjacent cylinders and out through the block with my worn rings. Cylinder walls looked perfect, however.

Comment

Yea definitely makes not much sense. I am going to swap plugs today, put it all back together and idle it. Then do a warm compression. The boroscope is how I got those picture of the pistons but I wasn’t able to look in the walls. The camera didn’t really fit to turn it towards the walls or it was too shiny.

Current:

Comment

Did you do a leakdown? Would verify the rings aren't sealing if there is no leaks on the valves.

Comment

No leakdown.

Hot compression test results after idling the car, all cylinders reading 150 psi.

so…..yeah….

Current:

Comment

No leakdown.

Hot compression test results after idling the car, all cylinders reading 150 psi.

so…..yeah….
                        well, that’s great.

im not entirely sure what the next move in this situation it. Strange

Comment

My guess is some o-ring, probably on an injector, is letting fuel wash out Cyl4 when it sits. But that's a guess from WAY far away. I wouldn't suspect a coil or plugs or rings or the cylinder itself.

Seems like a "when it sits" condition only.

maw
                          Last edited by maw1124; 06-20-2023, 06:02 PM.

Comment

You could do with an injector service or replacement and then see if the issue persists

Comment

Yes. I will be sending my injectors out and in the meantime, I put in a spare set which were verified good. I should see the results of the injectors when they get them to rebuild/test to see if they were faulty.

For now, I’ll get the car put together and drive it a bit to see how things do.
                              Last edited by BMWahba; 06-20-2023, 10:43 PM.

Current:

Comment

Why don't you swap the injector with one from another cylinder?
                                2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Working...
                                X