Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Misfire - Wet Spark Plug on Cylinder 3, But Cylinder 4 Low Compression...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post
    Why don't you swap the injector with one from another cylinder?
    Not sure what I’d be accomplishing. My cylinder 3 was wet but that was not the low compression cylinder. Logic would have it that cylinder 4 was the one that’d be wet with low compression from a wash out. But again, no clue.

Current:

1997 BMW M3 - Boston Green/Modena
    2003 BMW M3 · Coupe · 6MT - Alpine White/M-Texture Alcantara

Comment

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post
      Why don't you swap the injector with one from another cylinder?
      I came here to say this but jet_dogg beat me to it.

In a situation like this swapping in a "known good" part isn't something I would personally do unless it was literally right now in a running car. Say your injector has been sitting on the shelf for 6 months and something has happened to it. You put it in cylinder 3 and nothing changes... because it is also bad now your diagnostics are thrown off.

Instead swap injectors between cylinders and see what happens. IF you confirm the wet cylinder (or misfire) followers the injector THEN put the "known good" injector in it and see if the issue is resolved.

Cyl 4 & 3 are companion cylinders, sometimes something that happens to one affects both.
      Last edited by George Hill; 06-21-2023, 05:36 AM.
      '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Gray 332iT (SOLD), '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT
      Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
      Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Comment

Originally posted by George Hill View Post

I came here to say this but jet_dogg beat me to it.

In a situation like this swapping in a "known good" part isn't something I would personally do unless it was literally right now in a running car. Say your injector has been sitting on the shelf for 6 months and something has happened to it. You put it in cylinder 3 and nothing changes... because it is also bad now your diagnostics are thrown off.

Instead swap injectors between cylinders and see what happens. IF you confirm the wet cylinder (or misfire) followers the injector THEN put the "known good" injector in it and see if the issue is resolved.

Cyl 4 & 3 are companion cylinders, sometimes something that happens to one affects both.
        I understand. Noted. I am sending my set of injectors out to get cleaned anyhow.

Current:

Comment

An update on my Injector testing... here were the results. Any thoughts on how this corroborates with the symptoms in this thread? Cylinder 1 and 3 were dripping, the rest were in "fair" condition. Cylinder 4 was the one that had low compression...still kinda doesn't add up.

Does anyone know if the ECU averages out the fuel injection across all 6 cylinders or is it read per cylinder?
          Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	200
Size:	550.1 KB
ID:	223738

Current:

Comment

It probably averages per bank just a guess though
            Last edited by digger; 06-29-2023, 11:47 PM.

Comment

That could make sense, in that it compensates for other cylinders the ones that were dripping or spraying too much.

Current:

Comment

It’s read per bank. There’s only two oxygen sensors. One for the front bank and one for the rear. Changes are made per those sets of cylinders.

Comment

Yea. Who knows really what happened. About 30 miles driven on the car so far, everything seems fine.

Current:

Comment

Drive it hard, avoid short trips and turning it off after low rpm driving/not reaching full oil temp IMO.

Recipe has always worked with my 225k e36 and 183k e46.
                    DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                    /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                    More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
                      Drive it hard, avoid short trips and turning it off after low rpm driving/not reaching full oil temp IMO.

Recipe has always worked with my 225k e36 and 183k e46.
                      Or maybe it's a sign to just let her go!

Current:

Comment

Originally posted by BMWahba View Post
                        Yea. Who knows really what happened. About 30 miles driven on the car so far, everything seems fine.
                        To OP, any update 4 months after the injector cleaning?

Comment

Working...
                        X