Did I Make a Mistake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did I Make a Mistake?

Really love this car, but as I am trying to locate certain parts for this car..I’m starting to wonder if it was a mistake buying this car.

Just looking in to a crystal ball…but is everything going to be this difficult to procure on this car?

Already started a topic on headliners…but I just tried ordering some CSL front sway bushings, and they get blocked from BMW Germany?

Does BMW hate the US market or something? I just don’t understand, someone please help talk me off the plank.
    /// 2004 SGM/IR - Build Thread

https://www.schmiedmann.com/en/produ...1-35-2-282-656

Easy enough to get BMW Europe parts through Schmiedmann (a Danish dealer who figured out it’s good business to ship to the US)

Comment

Originally posted by repoman89 View Post
      https://www.schmiedmann.com/en/produ...1-35-2-282-656

Easy enough to get BMW Europe parts through Schmiedmann (a Danish dealer who figured out it’s good business to ship to the US)
      Looks like I will have to do a better job at planning. This ultimately is my fault, just need to do a better job of planning out projects and sourcing everything before starting. Thanks for your input.

Comment

Honestly, you got into this car about 5 years too late.

If your intention is to build something OEM+ with factory CSL parts you missed the window by a good 5 years.

Yes, you can still source stuff AKA you will pay, a lot.

If this car is a leisure vehicle and you want to keep it for future value, I would recommend leaving it alone lol.

If you're building it with a specific goal in mind, I would invest in a whiteboard and re-plan out how because the way the parts are looking, I'm hoarding haha.
        2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
        2005 BMW ///M3
        Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
        2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
        2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
        2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

Hotchkis, GC, Turner, Eibach, H&R all make sway bars for the E46. There are options.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharocks View Post
            Honestly, you got into this car about 5 years too late.

If your intention is to build something OEM+ with factory CSL parts you missed the window by a good 5 years.

Yes, you can still source stuff AKA you will pay, a lot.

If this car is a leisure vehicle and you want to keep it for future value, I would recommend leaving it alone lol.

If you're building it with a specific goal in mind, I would invest in a whiteboard and re-plan out how because the way the parts are looking, I'm hoarding haha.
            You are not wrong. I think back about 3-4 years ago, I should’ve bought an e46 instead of an f82. I think ultimately, that’s where I went wrong. The carbon fiber interior bits and all that twin turbo power fooled me. I was in talks of trading the f82 for an e46 from EAG a few years ago…probably should have looking back at it.

Hopefully, I won’t run in to many more issues with trying to source OEM parts.

Car is at a local shop waiting to get started on subframe reinforcement, bushings, and suspension overhaul. I think the problem here was that I started with just subframe reinforcement, now I’m changing every rubber mount/bushing possible. One month in, already $18k in parts 😂😂😂

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post
              Hotchkis, GC, Turner, Eibach, H&R all make sway bars for the E46. There are options.
              I was able to buy a new csl front sway which is the main reason i’m going down this path. I’ve had hotchkis in the past on a different platform and indifferent on them. not a big poly fan for sway bushings either so that starts to limit options

I guess I’m just having a hard time understanding why BMW makes it difficult to source parts depending on your geography. Especially for a global brand that probably makes 25% of its revenue in spare parts.

As Sharocks mentioned, I’m 5 years late and on the wrong continent apparently.

Comment

Where'd you buy the bushings from? I see them available on ECS and Turners.
                2004 Dinan S3-R M3
                2012 Dinan S1 X5M

Comment

Originally posted by 9kracing View Post
                  Where'd you buy the bushings from? I see them available on ECS and Turners.
                  I tried getbmwparts but they mentioned that sometimes CSL parts destined for NA gets shut down or blocked.

i believe the ones on ecs/turner ships in November.

Comment

Originally posted by ugaexploder View Post

You are not wrong.

One month in, already $18k in parts 😂😂😂
                    18k in parts?

Bro what?

Are they making these parts for you?

Also quoted the only parts that mattered, hope you don't mind hehe.
                    2005 BMW ///M3

Instagram

Comment

haha i don’t mind at all

yeah that’s for all parts purchased so far so that includes stuff like bavsound speakers, karbonius cf roof, etc

i need to chill, ngl 😂😂😂

Comment

haha i don’t mind at all

yeah that’s for all parts purchased so far so that includes stuff like bavsound speakers, karbonius cf roof, etc

i need to chill, ngl 😂😂😂
                        Ahh okay, that includes mods.

Fair enough.

I thought you were 18k into OE bushings.

FCP everything and send me the savings lol
                        2005 BMW ///M3

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Sharocks View Post

Ahh okay, that includes mods.

Fair enough.

I thought you were 18k into OE bushings.

FCP everything and send me the savings lol
                          Yeah me too haha - I was like “sheesh inflation has really hit since I did mine” 😂

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          2005 ///M3 SMG Coupe Silbergrau Metallic/CSL bucket seats
                          Build Thread:
                          https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...e46-m3-journal

Comment

I tried getbmwparts but they mentioned that sometimes CSL parts destined for NA gets shut down or blocked.

i believe the ones on ecs/turner ships in November.
                            To be (un)fair, ECS/Turners(same company, different locations now) are trash. There's a whole FB group dedicated to stories of how they literally never have anything in stock and constantly shipping wrong/broken parts.

FCP is always a good start.

And to add some actual to the thread, I'm in the same boat. I sold my e46m to a friend years 8yrs ago when I had to move out of country (highly regret, do not recommend). When I moved back 3 years ago, I had the opportunity to buy it back thinking I can start back on the project I left off but seeing all the NLA/price hikes has me only driving the car to the gym/grocery store now.

Comment

Working...
                            X