Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where Are We Buying CSL Bumpers These Days?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Epoustouflant View Post

It isn't saying much to be fair - but I did drive this restored E36 M3 for 2 weeks planning to purchase it last Summer. The headliner started to sag, the A pillar trims unclipped and the tumbler started spinning to eternity.

Still, it's probably more reliable and doesn't fall apart as much as an E46 - and it's much cheaper to own / rebuild.

The E46's A & C pillars will sag, armrests & center consoles creak, the ashtray and covers' rubber coating scratch with any meaningful interaction and the rear view mirrors leak amongst options specific issues: like the M-Texture being a fragile, expensive fabric.

It doesn't take away from my enjoyment of my build - they're just E46 things you have to deal with to get to enjoy the S54, 420G, chassis and its much more pleasing aesthetics.​

Click image for larger version Name:	REC00008.jpg Views:	0 Size:	199.2 KB ID:	232637
    Was this the ‘’low mileage’’ E36 M3 Laval VW was selling?

You need to realize an E46 M3 is a 20years old car. Each car has it’s specific problems. My first E46 M3 was a daily driver and I drove it 2-3 winters and it wasn’t making as much plastic noise as my E90 M3 or F31 328xi does during the cold days… and no electronic damper rattling noise too…
    2001 BMW E46 M3 Laguna Seca / M-Texture 6mt
    2006 BMW E46 M3 Individual Estoril blue/Black 6mt
    2019 BMW X3 M40i Phytonic blue/Tartufo Individual

Comment

The E46 M3 is, from my experience, the most expensive of any M3s to dial in. Part of it is due to relatively poor build quality of the era and the impressive step up with the CSL upgrades and those coming from modern technology.

No matter the black hole it has created in my pockets, it's been a great leaning and rewarding process. I can't wait to drive it soon.
      Not just e46 but bmws in general are shittily built. I have an old merc from the same era with half the problems, a fraction of the mainenance and I still call that a piece as well.

The problems with this car are comical, many, diverse in nature and frequent in terms of failures with regards to engine maintenance. I always got a chuckle when people would buy a cheap used m3 (before the rise in prices) and try to cut corners or "save up" for maintenance because they simply didn't do their homework and had no idea what they're getting themselves in to.​
      2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

It isn't saying much to be fair - but I did drive this restored E36 M3 for 2 weeks planning to purchase it last Summer. The headliner started to sag, the A pillar trims unclipped and the tumbler started spinning to eternity.

Still, it's probably more reliable and doesn't fall apart as much as an E46 - and it's much cheaper to own / rebuild.

The E46's A & C pillars will sag, armrests & center consoles creak, the ashtray and covers' rubber coating scratch with any meaningful interaction and the rear view mirrors leak amongst options specific issues: like the M-Texture being a fragile, expensive fabric.

It doesn't take away from my enjoyment of my build - they're just E46 things you have to deal with to get to enjoy the S54, 420G, chassis and its much more pleasing aesthetics.​

Click image for larger version Name:	REC00008.jpg Views:	0 Size:	199.2 KB ID:	232637
        Spoken like someone that’s never owned an e36 🤣

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
        2012 LMB/Black 128i
        2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Gt4 View Post

Was this the ‘’low mileage’’ E36 M3 Laval VW was selling?
          No, the car is still here and available for sale.

You need to realize an E46 M3 is a 20years old car. Each car has it’s specific problems.
          I do not, not realize that. I talk about it openly.

That's a point I often make when people ask me about the E46: it's a 2 decade old car using 3 decade old designs in some respect. The suspension and interior designs are all directly related to the E36.

The E46 is where many things ended for BMW, some for the better, a few for the worse. Nothing wrong in making that statement.

My first E46 M3 was a daily driver and I drove it 2-3 winters and it wasn’t making as much plastic noise as my E90 M3 or F31 328xi does during the cold days… and no electronic damper rattling noise too…
          The E9x / E6x was a blank slate for most things. Having taken apart both interiors, the E90's build quality was ahead, by a lot. As an example, it makes use of vibration dampening clips and foams all across the interior.

The E46? Bolts and plastic baby

The only thing that will rattle in an E9x M3 are the seat belt holders in the B pillars, and the fancy / stupid belt extender. The steering wheel rubber coating's trim will eventually start to lift. There's little else that goes wrong with them.

I had 2x E90 323xi and 328xi as Winter beaters. They're solid cars. The F3x non N55 cars are super meh, and indeed sh*t boxes. The N20 engine is a disgrace.

and no electronic damper rattling noise too…
          I have put my previous E92 M3 EDC, my current E92 M3 DCT and E60 M5 EDC through a total of 6 Quebec winters and 100,000km. I don't know what you mean.​

Put the equivalent E46 in the Winter and your front and rear subframe carriers will be rusted, along with the rear trailing arms. The front metal fenders will eventually develop rust issues as well and the rear light's seal wears out, letting water creep into the battery tray.

To be fair, that last bit was still an issue on the E60, but what isn't an issue on the E60.

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post

Not just e46 but bmws in general are shittily built. I have an old merc from the same era with half the problems, a fraction of the mainenance and I still call that a piece as well.

The 90s weren't the rosy era some romanticize for sure. I want to enjoy the E46 M3 for what it is - it's an unperfect analogy: for me these marked the end of our "air cooled" era.

Raw, fun, light, buzzy and beautiful to look at that.

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post

The problems with this car are comical, many, diverse in nature and frequent in terms of failures with regards to engine maintenance. I always got a chuckle when people would buy a cheap used m3 (before the rise in prices) and try to cut corners or "save up" for maintenance because they simply didn't do their homework and had no idea what they're getting themselves in to.​
          I lol'ed - comical indeed. We convinced ourselves cutting into a rear axle carrier panel and welding beams was totally fine. ​

I had to make that point with the CSL diffuser, using my car has an example. Most brackets were broken off from an unclaimed love tap at the rear bumper.

These cars are 20 years old and were inexpensive for a while. Many haven't always been cared for as we do today.
          Originally posted by Obioban View Post

That 2 weeks was enough to convince me I shouldn't - lol!

How was your experience with it?​
          Last edited by Epoustouflant; 09-08-2023, 03:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

That 2 weeks was enough to convince me I shouldn't - lol!

How was your experience with it?

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Chas3n View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                Cant wait! Pricing and other info coming as soon as I receive them from Vorsteiner

Comment

“Some say that last week he was found in a locked room tied to a chair with German piano wire and been there since 2020. And that this week, he is making CSL parts from fancy material. All we know is he’s called the Mile End Composite guy.”

hey i was wondering if i could get some
                  help getting one? i have one already except i need another due getting brake checked from a drunk driver just want my alpine white restored back to its former glory.

Comment

Got mine from Mile End Composites. The all carbon fiber construction is beyond amazing!
                    2005 E46 ///M3 Interlagos Blue/Cinnamon

BBS - Recaro - JRZ - PFC - Supersprint - Haimus - Vorshlag - RKP - DMG - Diffsonline - Autosolutions - ​Koyo - Mile End Composites - YFCM - GC

https://www.instagram.com/justanotham4/

Comment

Originally posted by sathu View Post
                      hey i was wondering if i could get some
                      help getting one? i have one already except i need another due getting brake checked from a drunk driver just want my alpine white restored back to its former glory.
                      I can add you to the waiting list but expect a 3 month delay cause I already have 6 members in line already

I am selling 3 brand new carbon fiber CSL front bumpers from Mile End Composite. All bumpers will fit the OEM kevlar rebar for 2002-2006 BMW E46 M3 Coupe or Convertible. 1 is made of 1x1 with kevlar reinforcement beam inside the bumper = SOLD/shipped to DS3R 1 is made of 2x2 with kevlar reinforcement beam inside the bumper =
                      2001 BMW E46 M3 Laguna Seca / M-Texture 6mt
                      2006 BMW E46 M3 Individual Estoril blue/Black 6mt
                      2019 BMW X3 M40i Phytonic blue/Tartufo Individual

Comment

Working...
                      X