No announcement yet.

THE M3 IS GETTING THE ANRI BUILD TREATMENT - Blown headgasket to build thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Anri going to diagnose it from scratch or just dive in and rebuild the engine?
    '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Gray 332iT (SOLD), '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT
    Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
    Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Comment

George Hill From my understanding he's going to diagnose it as if I never reported the leak down/compression test to double-check everything first, then from there get into it
      - Jonathan

2004 M3 6MT Carbon Black OEM+ | Vortex Days

Comment

Damn bro you left MA and that garbage 91 swill they use in SoCal got ya?

Looking forward to seeing the updates!
        2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
        2005 BMW ///M3
        Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
        2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
        2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
        2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

Sharocks hahah Sha you got me man, good to hear from you! Exactly, 91 has done me wrong apparently or the canyon roads, can't tell haha but we'll get it dialed in back the way it's supposed to be

Hope you and the cars are well!!
          - Jonathan

Comment

Subscribed! 🙌🏽
            '02 ///M3 Alpine White / Cinnamon 6MT

Comment

11.20.23 - Update - Car was picked up tonight!!

After some timing setbacks for pickup, Anri came to pick up the car tonight - It was great to meet him and he felt like an old friend of mine haha - So excited to see it loaded up and on its way.

Plan is the following -
              Step 1 is to see what's going on in the motor, double-check the compression and do another leak down
              Step 2 will of course be the conclusion of that test, and more than likely the start of the tear down of the engine.

Edit: I wanted to add some things that I noticed about the car that might help others trying to diagnose their head gasket -
              - The car started right up after sitting for 3 months, no smoke, nothing, just as it would usually
              - Regular driving felt totally fine
              - While getting onto the highway on an on-ramp, I heard a single ping noise in second gear and third gear, come from the engine while Anri was in the car. One could say this could sound like a single marble hitting the inside of a tin can. He flagged that as a sign of the HG and the sharing compression in each cylinder potentially causing a single detention. I had never heard this before prior to this drive and thought to add it. As Anri has mentioned to me it's really good that I caught it this early without it getting any worse, and this is a clear other symptom of what most likely is a blown head gasket,

More to come as I have updates!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2822.jpg Views:	41 Size:	162.6 KB ID:	242917

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2829.jpg Views:	41 Size:	179.3 KB ID:	242914

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2844.jpg Views:	41 Size:	160.0 KB ID:	242910

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2850.jpg Views:	41 Size:	193.9 KB ID:	242918

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2852.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	242944
              Attached Files
              Last edited by ChapterM3; 11-21-2023, 11:01 AM.
              - Jonathan

Comment

It's going to come out amazing man, SUBSCRIBED!

Can't wait for Anri's breakdown.

Comment

Good Luck. Hopefully you get the issue resolved.

Comment

Anri would be the man I would be shipping my S54 to as well whenever it may be due for a rebuild/refresh. I hope he keeps doing his amazing work for many years to come!

Comment

WestBankM4, 0-60motorsports - Thank you guys, I appreciate it - I have a feeling the car is going to be even better than when I first bought it. Let's see!!

M Coupe - Thank you for the reply man - that's exactly what I went with Anri in the first place. I was thinking to myself like damn it, it sucks that this happened, but I love the car so much I need to make sure it's done right the first go around because I don't want to open the motor up ever again if I don't have to. After weeks of research, Anri was 100% the guy for the job, and local to California as well. I mean the amount of calls we had leading up to the pickup, explaining the steps, answering my thousands of questions, etc. also let me know this guy was going above and beyond. I've never been able to connect with a shop at the level of customer service Anri has given me thus far - needless to say I'm excited for the outcome.
                      - Jonathan

Comment

Gents,

Let this all begin.

I am a bit crazy and tools like leak down tester and compression
                        tester I always have 2 different gauges and I always take measurement
                        with both on let say cyl#1 to make sure the reading I am getting is spot
                        on and then I continue with the Longacre to test the rest.

I use old school but NOS Made in USA Matco and also
                        I have the Longacre which shows me the exact % which I like better.

Most people will use the Matco style which shows in "wide window range"
                        also the increments are in 5% range but I like exact accuracy in numbers.

The leak is escaping between the bores. I confirm the fan clutch is lazy
                        and I was making a point in other post how the Behr fan clutch is not good
                        compared to Sachs. I will point again the system works opposite as on the
                        older BMWs and this is the result from running hot, not overheating but running
                        hot resulting tired head gasket.

Inline-6 engines, 5-6 run always hot and why you can see those cylinders
                        suffer the most damage from the rest.

You guys can compare the numbers taken from the previous test.

Regards,
                        Anri

Cyl#1 3%

Cyl#1 3%

Cyl#2 14.5%

Cyl#3. 11%

Cyl#4 5%

Cyl#5 72%

Cyl#6 73%

Last edited by Anri; 01-02-2024, 04:14 AM.
                        https://www.instagram.com/euroclassicmotors/.

www.euroclassicmotors.com

Comment

I've never thought I'd be so happy to see the confirmation come in that the head gasket is actually the culprit, and that a fan clutch was the culprit - thank you for the update!! Hoping nothing else is the matter once it's opened up 🤞
                          - Jonathan

Comment

Anri,

To be clear this is the fan clutch? From a e36?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Well crap, I bought a Behr back in 2019. No issues but darn it.
                              3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by Grke46m3 View Post
                                Anri,

To be clear this is the fan clutch? From a e36?
                                Yes and make sure you don't tell anybody.

Keep in mind that if you install the Sachs and you blow up
                                your gasket next month don't speak negative that it does
                                not work...Say the car ran for 100k miles with Behr and the
                                abuse is already done on the gasket...

It's a good upgrade, can't go wrong with that one for sure.

Regards,
                                Anri
                                Last edited by Anri; 01-04-2024, 05:04 AM.
                                https://www.instagram.com/euroclassicmotors/.

www.euroclassicmotors.com

Comment

Working...
                                X