Slon Workshop E46 M3 Carbon Front Triangulating Reinforcement Kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by terra View Post

Yeah I was wondering about that. I'd be totally okay with steel bars going to the firewall.. but I think part of the problem is you can't really get away without a modified cabin filter housing, and that is probably similar in complexity (if not moreso) as producing a CSL airbox. And for a low volume thing, I imagine making a mold for plastic is actually even more difficult.
    I think it wouldn't be that difficult if you could be ok with using a non original microfilter, maybe something like what TMS did with their turnicorn S65 swap. *I can't find a good pic of it, but you can kind of see they have a flat partition with a couple of panel filters on it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	384
Size:	609.6 KB
ID:	230628
    '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Gray 332iT (SOLD), '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT
    Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
    Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Comment

If you buy both the front and rear braces at the same time, it's actually $5895 shipped.
      (since people keep mentioning $7000).

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
      2012 LMB/Black 128i
      2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Should already be about 35% cheaper vs last December …

Click image for larger version

Name:	91EB286F-7539-4A40-9A55-115A37E27264.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	230648
        Attached Files

Comment

Hello guys!
          Thank you for your posts, i really appreciate all of them! its nice that our product make such active discussion.

i really love to read this topic, especially when i wasn't read it for 2 days (so 2-3 new pages).
          as i see, you discussed almost all aspects pros and cons, and even how would make it better, and perfect price, geopolitics and now even economics arrived ahahaha, really nice.
          i think i already wrote my thoughts in previous topic of this product, but, lets talk here.

first of all, my ideology about performance parts - i will pay for result. if the piece gives nothing, why to pay 1/2,1/3 or 1/4 of the price? easier not to pay at all.
          for me two choices are nice: optimal (when you get more result per $), or the best of all.

"why you chose it? - because its cheap. but it doesn't work at all! - but it's cheap." nah, this logic is not for me.

so i'm applying this way for most of our stuff.

Design (&cost)
          present design is a perfect way of solution imho. its my choice, my point of view.
          i accept oem look, but for such small production amount to get exactly oem look will cost similar money, if not even more.
          what could be cheaper option - to make it from the shit and sticks.
          on the earlier stages i've calculating all options and it looks like
          to sell present solution for 4650$ or to make it from shit and sticks and sell it for 30% less - 3250$.
          and you know what i chose . my choice wasn't about "which way would sells better and gives me more money", its about, what i'd prefer to get.

many years ago, when i only started to thought about this idea, i was even afraid to think about this way (cnc aluminum+ CF), for me it was like too far from reality. i was sure, that its real to make it in the shit and sticks design only.
          so, when i first times were staying near the engine bay with this THING installed - my most top dreams come true.
          in that moment i decided that even if we will sold nothing, i'm happy already to own it myself

to stop all this bullshit about "correct price" - go and try to make it yourself. when you will turn back, i'm ready to listen your offers.

same time i'm sure that after us, would be someone else, who will make cheaper (shit&sticks) solution, which also found their customers. but anyway, it will not be mass market, so price couldn't be cheap.

​​

Comment

Originally posted by Slonik View Post
            Hello guys!
            Thank you for your posts, i really appreciate all of them! its nice that our product make such active discussion.

i really love to read this topic, especially when i wasn't read it for 2 days (so 2-3 new pages).
            as i see, you discussed almost all aspects pros and cons, and even how would make it better, and perfect price, geopolitics and now even economics arrived ahahaha, really nice.
            i think i already wrote my thoughts in previous topic of this product, but, lets talk here.

first of all, my ideology about performance parts - i will pay for result. if the piece gives nothing, why to pay 1/2,1/3 or 1/4 of the price? easier not to pay at all.
            for me two choices are nice: optimal (when you get more result per $), or the best of all.

"why you chose it? - because its cheap. but it doesn't work at all! - but it's cheap." nah, this logic is not for me.

so i'm applying this way for most of our stuff.

Design (&cost)
            present design is a perfect way of solution imho. its my choice, my point of view.
            i accept oem look, but for such small production amount to get exactly oem look will cost similar money, if not even more.
            what could be cheaper option - to make it from the shit and sticks.
            on the earlier stages i've calculating all options and it looks like
            to sell present solution for 4650$ or to make it from shit and sticks and sell it for 30% less - 3250$.
            and you know what i chose . my choice wasn't about "which way would sells better and gives me more money", its about, what i'd prefer to get.

many years ago, when i only started to thought about this idea, i was even afraid to think about this way (cnc aluminum+ CF), for me it was like too far from reality. i was sure, that its real to make it in the shit and sticks design only.
            so, when i first times were staying near the engine bay with this THING installed - my most top dreams come true.
            in that moment i decided that even if we will sold nothing, i'm happy already to own it myself

to stop all this bullshit about "correct price" - go and try to make it yourself. when you will turn back, i'm ready to listen your offers.

same time i'm sure that after us, would be someone else, who will make cheaper (shit&sticks) solution, which also found their customers. but anyway, it will not be mass market, so price couldn't be cheap.

​​
            I’ll give you some free unasked for advice and this is important. Far more so than you will initially think. Be quiet and let others defend your product and price. You cannot make everyone happy but you can make most everyone mad.
            Last edited by oceansize; 08-26-2023, 04:07 PM.
            3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by repoman89 View Post
              Should already be about 35% cheaper vs last December …

Click image for larger version  Name:	91EB286F-7539-4A40-9A55-115A37E27264.jpg Views:	0 Size:	47.5 KB ID:	230648
              you will surprised, but carbon fiber arriving to us from usa, epoxy ships from germany, adhesive from italy etc, and we are paying for it US dollars and Euros.
              and during last 1.5 years logistic cost grown up (and takes longer time = money).
              from the last year i'm buying most of necessary stuff myself from US and Europe and organize shipping, cause most of the local sellers prefer to go easier way, to change their suppliers.
              so now i need not only to solve production issues, but also create complex delivery ways to save the same production process, as previously.

Originally posted by oceansize View Post

I’ll going to give you some free unasked for advice and this is important. Far more so than you will initially think. Be quiet and let others defend your product and price. You cannot make everyone happy but you can make most everyone mad.
              Thank you!
              i would replying on each post here few years ago, but now i have more patient ahahaha.
              most times i'm deciding that better to go&work on new products, than to talk on forums.
              but today friday evening, sorry me!

Comment

Are you only making a limited number of these?

Ill probably buy one at some point if still available

Comment

Originally posted by terra View Post
                  Absolutely beautiful piece. And for those skeptical of rigidity benefits -- there's probably good reason BMW is doing similar stuff in most of their cars since the E46. Like everyone else, I wish it wasn't $5k + install, but you have to pay for quality.​
                  I think it was a packaging issue with the S65 and S85. F8Xs have a brace to the radiator support.

Comment

Originally posted by Nate047 View Post
                    Is there anyone else who even makes a 3-point triangulated brace for the front?
                    Didn't Mason Engineering make one?

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post

Didn't Mason Engineering make one?
                      They never made one that tied into the firewall.

Comment

Originally posted by Advorsor View Post
                        Are you only making a limited number of these?

Ill probably buy one at some point if still available
                        I second this question.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post

I think it was a packaging issue with the S65 and S85. F8Xs have a brace to the radiator support.
                          F8x and F8x have both to the firewall and radiator support. The firewall bits just aren’t as visible with all the trim

Comment

It's hard to explain the difference chassis stiffness makes to the driving experience until you've driven a car with and without it. Everything is just better with it.

Personally, my wallet will be getting lighter. Vote with yours as how important this piece is to you.
                            Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Casa de Mesa View Post

Personally, my wallet will be getting lighter. ...
                              My wallet too.

Comment

Originally posted by George Hill View Post
                                The part looks awesome, I wish it did look more period correct, but I can get past that too. I'm not ashamed to admit that my car is very much a budget setup and I can't justify the price, though I'd love to have it.

I agree tying the towers into the firewall has its benefits. Could the same or similar results be had for less cost? I.E. something like the Z4 setup that Terra posted above?

With all of that said does it make the car faster (on track)? I'm really looking forward to seeing Obioban feedback from on track driving and hopefully with some data to compare with previous laps. I feel like this would be easy to achieve by removing it and comparing with a data logger.

Or does it just change the driving experience? Not bashing changing the driving experience either, I can tell you that I have 225s on my ZHP right now (refinishing the style 135s) and it is so much fun to drive around town with a small tire on it so there is absolutely something to be said for that.
                                I agree about the small tires being better on the street/backroads and for feeling. I run 235 front and 255 rear on my M3 and it is much lighter, faster, and more communicative than running a 255-275 up front or squared.
                                Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

Working...
                                X