Slon Workshop E46 M3 Carbon Front Triangulating Reinforcement Kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EthanolTurbo View Post

I agree about the small tires being better on the street/backroads and for feeling. I run 235 front and 255 rear on my M3 and it is much lighter, faster, and more communicative than running a 255-275 up front or squared.
    I’m surprised that rolling diameter dissimilarity doesn’t make your DSC super annoying.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
    2012 LMB/Black 128i
    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by terra View Post

F8x and F8x have both to the firewall and radiator support. The firewall bits just aren’t as visible with all the trim
      The firewall braces are standard in every F and G body car, except maybe the FWD X1/2 and 2 series. The E46 has sheet metal between the strut towers and firewall which I would think does the same thing as the short braces.

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

I’m surprised that rolling diameter dissimilarity doesn’t make your DSC super annoying.
        Sorry, I was wrong. It's 265 in the rear. DSC never activates and I don't drive it hard unless DSC is off.
        Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

Originally posted by EthanolTurbo View Post

Sorry, I was wrong. It's 265 in the rear. DSC never activates and I don't drive it hard unless DSC is off.
          235/265 has the same rolling diameter, so that checks out 👍🏻

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
          2012 LMB/Black 128i
          2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by George Hill View Post
            With all of that said does it make the car faster (on track)? I'm really looking forward to seeing Obioban feedback from on track driving and hopefully with some data to compare with previous laps. I feel like this would be easy to achieve by removing it and comparing with a data logger.
            It can. A stiffer chassis will allow lower spring rates and more mechanical grip with the same amount of responsiveness. I think it's more of a reliability upgrade especially with sticky tires. I'm pushing up to 1.5 lateral G's at COTA on Toyo RRs which I'm sure isn't great long-term for a non-caged chassis. There are a lot of tires out there that have more grip than an RR. So from that perspective, $5k might be a good way to improve the longevity of the car.

For performance gains, what data can be used to compare? Lap time will have so many variables and I'm not sure it will make THAT much of a difference lap to lap. I'd think fuel load differences, track surface temps and tire condition would have more of an effect on lap time.

Comment

Originally posted by IamFODI View Post
              Given that most other options in that category are much heavier and/or vastly less effective, I feel like the word "essentially" doesn't really fit here.
              A full cage costs roughly $6k. More labor costs than materials and a very different application, but it will stiffen the chassis even moreso.
              The Slon setup obviously does not interfere with the cabin, but it does effectively create the same (better) result as strut bars. "Essentially" it's the same type of mod.

Originally posted by Bry5on View Post

I’ve got nothing to hide, I encourage folks to take mine out for a spin if they’re on the fence. Hopefully this isn’t coming off as defensive, just trying to make sure the most accurate impression is out there for all.
              I'd actually love to take you up on this? I'm in the Bay Area as well. Happy to barter a drive in my E36 M3 to return the gesture!

​​
              Originally posted by Slonik View Post
              to stop all this bullshit about "correct price" - go and try to make it yourself. when you will turn back, i'm ready to listen your offers.

same time i'm sure that after us, would be someone else, who will make cheaper (shit&sticks) solution, which also found their customers. but anyway, it will not be mass market, so price couldn't be cheap.

​​
              I am not criticizing how much it costs to make, or the efficacy of the product. It certainly looks awesome. My point is the economies of scale would tip in your favor if the price point were lower = sell more. Even for those of us who spend entirely too much buidling these cars, there is a threshold...

If you buy both the front and rear braces at the same time, it's actually $5895 shipped.
              (since people keep mentioning $7000).

That's on me - I added up the $2k rear stiffening wall, and the IND price of this. Factor a couple bucks in for tax/shipping and it rounds to 7k.
              $5895 is certainly more palatable.... oh my god it's happening already 🤣

235/265 has the same rolling diameter, so that checks out 👍🏻
              Stock CSL sizes.

Comment

It's nice, but it's hard to justify buying one over half the price I bought the car at. I do like the idea though if using the firewall as another point to add rigidity. I wouldn't mind a similar design but with different materials like aluminum or some cheaper process for those who want the increase but with a lower point of entry.

​​​​​​
                ​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post

It can. A stiffer chassis will allow lower spring rates and more mechanical grip with the same amount of responsiveness. I think it's more of a reliability upgrade especially with sticky tires. I'm pushing up to 1.5 lateral G's at COTA on Toyo RRs which I'm sure isn't great long-term for a non-caged chassis. There are a lot of tires out there that have more grip than an RR. So from that perspective, $5k might be a good way to improve the longevity of the car.

For performance gains, what data can be used to compare? Lap time will have so many variables and I'm not sure it will make THAT much of a difference lap to lap. I'd think fuel load differences, track surface temps and tire condition would have more of an effect on lap time.
                  We should do a GoFundMe so you can throw it on your car and provide before/after lap times.
                  Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

Originally posted by jvit27 View Post
                    That's on me - I added up the $2k rear stiffening wall, and the IND price of this. Factor a couple bucks in for tax/shipping and it rounds to 7k.
                    $5895 is certainly more palatable.... oh my god it's happening already 🤣
                    This brings back some memories lol.

Mike

02 M3 Titanium Silver/Black
                    11 Tundra SuperWhite/Black
                    16 X5

Comment

I'd actually love to take you up on this? I'm in the Bay Area as well. Happy to barter a drive in my E36 M3 to return the gesture!
                      I’m around most weekends, shoot me a PM
                      ‘02 332iT / 6 | ‘70 Jaguar XJ6 electric conversion

Comment

A full cage costs roughly $6k. More labor costs than materials and a very different application, but it will stiffen the chassis even moreso.
                        The Slon setup obviously does not interfere with the cabin, but it does effectively create the same (better) result as strut bars. "Essentially" it's the same type of mod.
                        A full cage is a big leap, I think the point here is a big increase in stiffness with no compromise outside of your wallet size.

Comment

I bought the iND unit. Didn't want to risk not having the opp to get one down the line...

Comment

lol
                            2004 Dinan S3-R M3
                            2012 Dinan S1 X5M

Comment

A full cage is a big leap, I think the point here is a big increase in stiffness with no compromise outside of your wallet size.
                              That's specifically why I said "a very different application" and "does not interfere with the cabin". 🙄

Comment

Didn't Mason Engineering make one?
                                No just a two-point strut tower brace. Someone should make a three-point chromoly brace like this for the plebs out there like me
                                http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
                                '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
                                '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Working...
                                X