Slon Workshop E46 M3 Carbon Front Triangulating Reinforcement Kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nate047 View Post
    No just a two-point strut tower brace. Someone should make a three-point chromoly brace like this for the plebs out there like me
    Are you deleting the cabin filter housing? No reason why you couldn't have a shop fab one. Just need a tube bender and a welder. You probably could just do a triangle - 2 strut towers and 1 point on the sidewall, weld in a large gusset and then flare the holes with a dimple die. That adds a LOT of stiffness.

Originally posted by jvit27 View Post

That's specifically why I said "a very different application" and "does not interfere with the cabin". 🙄
    I guess I don't understand how a roll cage and the strut bar is comparable or why they would even be compared to each other?
    Last edited by bigjae46; 08-30-2023, 05:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post
      I guess I don't understand how a roll cage and the strut bar is comparable or why they would even be compared to each other?
      He's saying this is a strut bar for the cost of a roll cage, with some caveats on the comparison.

EDIT: Not saying I agree (I don't); just trying to summarize the argument.
      Last edited by IamFODI; 08-30-2023, 10:16 AM.
      2008 M3 Sedan 6MT
      Slicktop, no iDrive | Öhlins by 3DM Motorsport | Autosolutions | SPL

2012 Mazda5 6MT
      Koni Special Active, Volvo parts

Comment

Maybe DMG or CMP can fabricate a 3 point reinforcement for our cars. Sounds like demand is there.

Comment

I don't think it's possible to have a 3 point reinforcement without eliminating the cabin air filter housing, or remaking with extra clearance as Slon did. Using metal tubing (as opposed to CF), I'm not sure there's space to remake the cabin air filter housing and still fit the cabin air filter in there.

Also, this CF part is molded to the shape of the stamped sheet metal in that location-- which would be extremely difficult to recreate in metal, and not bond in well without. So, I'd expect this would have to be a weld in piece... which, given the location, might make it an engine out install.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5139.jpg Views:	0 Size:	65.8 KB ID:	231345

For cars that get driven on the street (aka, cars with a cabin air filter housing, bringing in fresh air through the hood vent), I suspect this functionality can't be recreated cheaply/with metal.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
          2012 LMB/Black 128i
          2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post

Originally posted by IamFODI View Post
            He's saying this is a strut bar for the cost of a roll cage, with some caveats on the comparison.

EDIT: Not saying I agree (I don't); just trying to summarize the argument.
            Thanks Fodi^

Both stiffen the chassis. They aren't comparable for the reasons I keep repeating... the point is to highlight that this product costs more than a very extreme alternative that is even more effective.

I am objective though. Anyone who has known me knows I will always make the same effort to save someone money and steer them away from shitty parts as I do convincing them they need something that is worth it. Will make an effort to meet up with Bry5on and see what this thing is all about and report back before I speculate anything else.

Comment

I personally think items like this are important to the E46 M3 community, while many of us won't be able to justify the price and may never even see it in person, I think bringing more modern engineering practices to a 20+ year old platform is super cool. It's always interesting seeing new ways people find to improve our cars.
              2003 E46 M3 Titanium Silver / Black

Dinan Section 3 - Dual Resonated Sec 1 - Dinan Springs & Bilstein Shocks - GruppeM Intake - Dinan Front & Rear Strut Bars - Hotchkis Front Sway Bar

www.instagram.com/nextlvel

Comment

Originally posted by nextlvel View Post
                I personally think items like this are important to the E46 M3 community, while many of us won't be able to justify the price and may never even see it in person, I think bringing more modern engineering practices to a 20+ year old platform is super cool. It's always interesting seeing new ways people find to improve our cars.
                I think this is an important takeaway from this thread.
                '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Gray 332iT (SOLD), '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT
                Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
                Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Comment

So, I have not had time to write up a DIY yet, and I'm giving the epoxy a full 24 hours to cure before driving, but...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4795.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	403.6 KB
ID:	231953

Name:	IMG_4801.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	414.9 KB
ID:	231954

Name:	IMG_4802.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	384.1 KB
ID:	231955

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                  2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
                    So, I have not had time to write up a DIY yet, and I'm giving the epoxy a full 24 hours to cure before driving, but...
                    I forgot about the cable tray across the front of the housing. That's must be a PIA to make. Nice!

Comment

Name:	IMG_4795.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	403.6 KB
ID:	231953

Name:	IMG_4801.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	414.9 KB
ID:	231954

Name:	IMG_4802.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	384.1 KB
ID:	231955
                      Gorgeous!

Comment

Fun detail I came upon during install-- tiny spacers on the piece that gets epoxied on, to get the optimal epoxy thickness for bonding strength. Also, very deliberately left rough surface, for good epoxy adhesion.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4770.jpg Views:	0 Size:	98.5 KB ID:	232002

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                        2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Fun detail I came upon during install-- tiny spacers on the piece that gets epoxied on, to get the optimal epoxy thickness for bonding strength. Also, very deliberately left rough surface, for good epoxy adhesion.

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_4770.jpg Views:	0 Size:	98.5 KB ID:	232002
                          This is brilliant.

I think the brace looks amazing on top of that CSL race snorkel. Congrats, this must have been a hell of a fun install. Epoxying the mount would certainly give me a pucker moment, but the rest seems like it would fun wrench spinning time rather than arduous.
                          Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Casa de Mesa View Post

This is brilliant.

I think the brace looks amazing on top of that CSL race snorkel. Congrats, this must have been a hell of a fun install. Epoxying the mount would certainly give me a pucker moment, but the rest seems like it would fun wrench spinning time rather than arduous.
                            That is all exactly correct.

​​​​​…. and a moment of brief “oh crap” because I ran the wires under the brace, but that actually only took 5 min to correct.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                            2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

I am purposely keeping myself in the denial phase regarding this product, because man it's expensive.
                              But I had the same feeling regarding the full SS v1 system with cats, I ended up getting it anyway haha...
                              E46 ///M3 • 12/2002 • phönix-gelb • 6MT
                              E39 ///M5 • 12/1998 • avus-blau • 6MT
                              E60 ///M5 • 11/2006 • saphir-schwarz • 6MT

Comment

It's definitely on my list of mods to buy.

Comment

Working...
                                X