Slon Workshop E46 M3 Carbon Front Triangulating Reinforcement Kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

Have you driven the car with it yet? How is it?

... I really need to get my car back together. Just been slammed with house construction work.
    Not yet and same with respect to re-assembly. I am giving a full week to cure.

I am, however, going overkill with the bonding/adhesives on this one lol. My edges are POURING with epoxy. I figure cause the front won't be seen, who cares? (I used a full tube of the recommended Teroson 5055)

Oddly, I am not sure if you guys ran into this on the bottom corners, the piece doesn't sit as flush as I would like to the chassis (despite grinding). So.... I'm going to use the rest of the unused 3M 420 Slon provided with the Triangulator here. My cure process will then be as follows:

Sunday - glue piece (Teroson)
    Monday - wait
    Tuesday evening (48hr mark) - make use of unused 3M 420 on bottom 2 corners
    Wednesday and Thurs - wait
    Either Friday afternoon (or Saturday AM) - reassemble and drive

Comment

Originally posted by Advorsor View Post

Not yet and same with respect to re-assembly. I am giving a full week to cure.

I am, however, going overkill with the bonding/adhesives on this one lol. My edges are POURING with epoxy. I figure cause the front won't be seen, who cares? (I used a full tube of the recommended Teroson 5055)

Oddly, I am not sure if you guys ran into this on the bottom corners, the piece doesn't sit as flush as I would like to the chassis (despite grinding). So.... I'm going to use the rest of the unused 3M 420 Slon provided with the Triangulator here. My cure process will then be as follows:

Sunday - glue piece (Teroson)
      Monday - wait
      Tuesday evening (48hr mark) - make use of unused 3M 420 on bottom 2 corners
      Wednesday and Thurs - wait
      Either Friday afternoon (or Saturday AM) - reassemble and drive
      Yeah the two bottom corners weren't as flush as the rest of the brace. Needed to use a lot more adhesive there to make up the gap.

Also, where are the pics?
      2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by EthanolTurbo View Post

Stock M3 on modern tires would devastate the OG CSL lap time. It's like a quarter century of tire tech advancement. I just wonder by how much.
        If you genuinely believe that, you are absolutely deluded LOL.

The OG Cups were miles better than the current Cup 2s. In Europe, tyre tech has actually taken a backwards step, as current EU rulings has outlawed the good stuff from being road legal. The OG Cups were 200 wear and Cup 2s are 240 and although imporved technology has meant that they operate over a much wider window (temperature and inclement weather wise), they're not a patch on the OG Cups on track. The Daddy of "road legal" track tyres in Europe is the benchmark Dunlop DZ03G (100 wear), but sadly these are now no longer road legal in Europe .

Unless the modern tyres you are quoting are miles better than 200 tread wear, then there is not a hope in hell of a stock M3 bettering the CSLs time. With the same driver (Horst von Saurma), the CSL is a whole 32s faster than a stock M3 (which was on Michelin Pilot Sport tyres of the era). Also, the weight difference was 150kg (as measured by Sport Auto magazine for the test).

Even if you could legally use 100 tread wear tyres, the stock M3 is simply too soft from the factory to make use of that extra grip - and then if you were to put the same 100 tread tyres on the CSL, it would still be a similar margin faster than the stock car (all things being equal). The only way to equalise the performance would be to either hobble the CSL with crap tyres or effectively turn the stock M3 into a CSL (see Ian's car ).

I would also like to point out that you also can't compare the current lap times with times from 2003, as the track has been drasitcally improved over the years. The regular drivers that put these times in say that the circuit is now 7-10s faster than it was back then (bumps being smoothed out, grippier tarmac laid etc).

And finally, from the man himself (Horst), his two favourite cars out of EVERYTHING he has ever lapped at the 'ring are the 997.2 GT3 RS and the E46 M3 CSL.....

You can see the cars that he is responsible for putting times in here:

At the time, it was 4s faster than the 996.2 GT3 (same driver), 6s faster than the 360 Challenge Stradale (same driver) and to achieve the lap time in the CSL, all he did was drop the pressures, do one sighting lap (to make sure there were no issues with the car or track) and then on the second lap did the 7.50 time. It sent shock-waves out to Porsche and as Andy Preuninger openly admits was a huge wake up call (the CSL is his favourite BMW ) and was in part responsible for the 996 GT3 RS as Porsche wanted their lap time back (which they got just under a year later with Horst at the wheel again with a time of 7.47....).

Comment

Originally posted by Mike RT4 View Post
          The OG Cups were 200 wear and Cup 2s are 240 and although imporved technology has meant that they operate over a much wider window (temperature and inclement weather wise), they're not a patch on the OG Cups on track.
          Not that this negates anything else you said, but there are multiple versions of the Cup 2 and only one is 240TW. AFAIR (someone check me on this if I'm wrong) they released that one to fill the gap between the PSS/PS4S tier and the original Cup 2, which is 180TW. There's also a 140TW version if you count the Cup 2 R. FWIW.
          2008 M3 Sedan 6MT
          Slicktop, no iDrive | Öhlins by 3DM Motorsport | Autosolutions | SPL

2012 Mazda5 6MT
          Koni Special Active, Volvo parts

Comment

I loved my PSC1s back in the day, but my (240TW) Cup 2s were kind of trash.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
            2012 LMB/Black 128i
            2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by IamFODI View Post
              Not that this negates anything else you said, but there are multiple versions of the Cup 2 and only one is 240TW. AFAIR (someone check me on this if I'm wrong) they released that one to fill the gap between the PSS/PS4S tier and the original Cup 2, which is 180TW. There's also a 140TW version if you count the Cup 2 R. FWIW.
              Sadly the Cup 2 Rs are not available in CSL sizes .

In addition, Michelin are phasing out the standard Cup 2s (only available in 7 sizes now in the UK) and the CSL rears are NLA in this compound, so you have no choice but to fit Cup 2 Connects on a CSL.

I'd love to try the RE71Rs (as they appear on paper to be like the OG Cups), but that is also another tyre we don't get in the UK .

I too loved my OG Cups. I actually hoarded a load, but am now down to my last set that I have on my spare wheels. Despite being manufactured in 2013 (stored in a heated / insulated garage that doesn't drop below 10°C and in tyre totes to protect from UV), they still out perform the Cup 2 Connects on track. But they are approaching the the wear indicators and so are just being kept for posterity now .

I would love to be able to talk to someone at Michelin for them to reproduce the OG Cups for the CSL in limited run batches.
              Last edited by Mike RT4; 11-14-2023, 11:56 PM.

Comment

In addition, Michelin are phasing out the standard Cup 2s (only available in 7 sizes now in the UK) and the CSL rears are NLA in this compound, so you have no choice but to fit Cup 2 Connects on a CSL.

I'd love to try the RE71Rs (as they appear on paper to be like the OG Cups), but that is also another tyre we don't get in the UK .

I too loved my OG Cups. I actually hoarded a load, but am now down to my last set that I have on my spare wheels. Despite being manufactured in 2013 (stored in a heated / insulated garage that doesn't drop below 10°C and in tyre totes to protect from UV), they still out perform the Cup 2 Connects on track. But they are approaching the the wear indicators and so are just being kept for posterity now .

I would love to be able to talk to someone at Michelin for them to reproduce the OG Cups for the CSL in limited run batches.
                You can’t buy the RE71s from an online supplier and have them shipped in?

Comment

As someone who very much liked the PSC1s back when you could get them, I'm not really a fan of the RE-71Rs. Easy to heat soak on the track, and never really up to operating temp on the street.

Amusingly/annoyingly, I'm actually currently DDing RE71Rs on the e60M, which I refuse to swap for PS4Ss until I'm done with this house construction-- the chances of a screw/nail/metal shard are just too high right now.

... and I've actually been street driving my heat cycles out PSC2s on my M3, for the same reason, despite having ready to go PS4Ss on my street wheels.

NT01s are the tires that most remind me of the old Cups in driving experience, but they are LOUD for street use (if you're trying to duel duty them).

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                  2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Sadly, having checked, it seems to be an issue to get the correct rear sizes in practically every performance tyre. They all seem to do the correct fronts 235/35x19s, but not the 265/30x19 rear .

Closest on the RE71RS is 275/35 and on the Nito N1 is 285/35. Not sure if the difference in rolling radius will cause the ABS / TC to get confused, so it's a huge gamble to order in tyres from elsewhere only to find the DME says no......

The Yokohama AO52 is supposed to be a great tyre by all accounts (and is available here), but not in CSL sizes again, 235 fronts are only available in 40 profile and the same for the rears.

Comment

Sadly, having checked, it seems to be an issue to get the correct rear sizes in practically every performance tyre. They all seem to do the correct fronts 235/35x19s, but not the 265/30x19 rear .

Closest on the RE71RS is 275/35 and on the Nito N1 is 285/35. Not sure if the difference in rolling radius will cause the ABS / TC to get confused, so it's a huge gamble to order in tyres from elsewhere only to find the DME says no......

The Yokohama AO52 is supposed to be a great tyre by all accounts (and is available here), but not in CSL sizes again, 235 fronts are only available in 40 profile and the same for the rears.
                      Yeah, I wouldn't go off the stock stagger, unless going square-- DSC is not happy when the rolling diameter isn't the same front/rear.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                      2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

What about running 245/275? That used to be a popular setup that didn't upset DSC.

Comment

Rear shot

Comment

Originally posted by Advorsor View Post
                            Rear shot
                            Oh no you installed that upside down. You’re going to have to remove and install again 😜
                            6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

Ha I didn’t even realize!

Comment

We are offering Black Friday discounts for our E46 M3 products.

10% off for our front triangulating kit. Retail 4650$ incl shipping, Black Friday price 4185$ incl shipping.

15% off for our rear strengthening wall. Retail 1900$ incl shipping, Black Friday price 1615$ incl shipping.

10% off for our Ultimate Package (front kit + rear wall). Retail 5895$ incl shipping, Black Friday price 5305$ incl shipping.

Click image for larger version

Name:	000.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	243249
                                ​​ Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0586_stories_1920_light3.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	243250

Comment

Working...