Slon Workshop E46 M3 Carbon Front Triangulating Reinforcement Kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by simonnim View Post

Wow, didn't know they cost that much. Is there a common breaking point? Maybe they have solutions out there to fix it. Asking for future me.

Besides that, it's still much more fun with a top down than not!
    All of it. The mechanism is extremely complex with a bunch of little springs and pieces. God help you if it leaks, some of the seals require partial disassembly of the roof.

there’s a reason why BMW went back to soft tops.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post
      You don't want a hard top. A replacement top is about $25,000 and is made to order. The last time I checked, the E93 hard tops were no longer available. Even if you do get a replacement hard top...installation is an absolute nightmare.
      Originally posted by simonnim View Post
      Wow, didn't know they cost that much. Is there a common breaking point? Maybe they have solutions out there to fix it. Asking for future me.

Besides that, it's still much more fun with a top down than not!
      Yes the top itself is expensive but worse are the seals. There is a set of seals for each of the 3 panels and they are horribly expensive. Its one thing to have to replace a top itself, but fixing a water leak can financially total many of these cars now. E93s are the one car I push no one to buy without budgeting the cost to repair top issues.
      '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Gray 332iT (SOLD), '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT
      Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
      Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post

All of it. The mechanism is extremely complex with a bunch of little springs and pieces. God help you if it leaks, some of the seals require partial disassembly of the roof.

there’s a reason why BMW went back to soft tops.
        Didn't realize this until you noted it. Wild

Saying that, the old car’s metal folding hard-top is ditched in favour of a 40 per cent lighter fabric roof, and because fabric folds more easily than metal, the M4’s bum gets a more pleasing profile.

https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/...on-convertible

Comment

Wait, while we are on the topic of verts, does this mod not apply to verts or is everyone just assuming that it’s not worth it?

as obi’s initial post stated that this mod’s torsional rigidity was likened as going from vert to a coupe, would this mod make the vert feel like a coupe? Or like a vert that installed a half roll cage? (Think throttle house e46 m3 vert)

I’m not tracking my cars anymore so that’s why I got a vert, but I do love spirited canyon drives. If this helps with that, I’d buy it.

I’m assuming it would be a pain to change your spark plugs or any work where you have to remove the bar. Seems like there is a very specific way to put things back together and you’ll have to explain that to any mechanic that needs to work on your car? Ha, what am I saying, no mechanic will ever touch my car jk

Comment

Originally posted by old///MFanatic View Post
            I’m surprised someone else hasn’t mentioned this. If the cars were brand new and absolutely identical down to tires, tire pressures, weight, suspension it might be a close comparison. Otherwise just many variables change things.
            Sadly on a worn twenty year old chassis, with respect, it doesn’t work that way.
            My background with chassis testing is with Dan Gurney’s race teams decades ago. I’m sure others know this aswell.
            So very true! I've been tracking with a buddy for 20 years now and the last 10 we've had very similar ZHPs and now M3s and it's funny at the limit how much different they can be. I even corner balance both of them myself to an exact 50/50 yet they will handle different. It's funny how each car has its own characteristics. Mods can definitely affect them or reduce them however it's funny how they can still be there in some respect

Comment

Originally posted by old///MFanatic View Post
              My background with chassis testing is with Dan Gurney’s race teams decades ago.
              That's awesome. Now Dan Gurney was a real driver. Love the Eagle-Weslake.

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

Close the vents on the HVAC system to prevent debris from falling in. With gentle but steady pressure you can close the fresh air doors on the heater case to keep debris/sanding dust out of the HVAC system while working in the area.

does the climate control system account for this manual change when you turn the car back on or do you have to reset something?

Comment

Originally posted by usdmej View Post
                  does the climate control system account for this manual change when you turn the car back on or do you have to reset something?
                  Yes, the stepper motors are just in a different location, you don't have to do anything to "revert it back."
                  '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Gray 332iT (SOLD), '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT
                  Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
                  Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Comment

Originally posted by jpy1980 View Post
                    Wait, while we are on the topic of verts, does this mod not apply to verts or is everyone just assuming that it’s not worth it?

as obi’s initial post stated that this mod’s torsional rigidity was likened as going from vert to a coupe, would this mod make the vert feel like a coupe? Or like a vert that installed a half roll cage? (Think throttle house e46 m3 vert)

I’m not tracking my cars anymore so that’s why I got a vert, but I do love spirited canyon drives. If this helps with that, I’d buy it.

I’m assuming it would be a pain to change your spark plugs or any work where you have to remove the bar. Seems like there is a very specific way to put things back together and you’ll have to explain that to any mechanic that needs to work on your car? Ha, what am I saying, no mechanic will ever touch my car jk
                    additional 2 bolts to remove it for the engine maintenance over usual turret strut brace. few minutes more.

maybe our front kit will not make "coupe" from your vert, but car with that would be close enough to it.

and because all verts have steel walls behind the rear seats from factory, front reinforcement kit is almost the only solution to make something noticeable with rigidity.​

Comment

Originally posted by Slonik View Post

additional 2 bolts to remove it for the engine maintenance over usual turret strut brace. few minutes more.

maybe our front kit will not make "coupe" from your vert, but car with that would be close enough to it.

and because all verts have steel walls behind the rear seats from factory, front reinforcement kit is almost the only solution to make something noticeable with rigidity.​
                      Thanks for the answer!

so this would be a good compromise instead of getting a a rear bar / half cage, right?
                      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the answer!

so this would be a good compromise instead of getting a a rear bar / half cage, right?
                        A cage on a car that you ever drive without a helmet is a terrible idea.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                        2012 LMB/Black 128i
                        2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

A cage on a car that you ever drive without a helmet is a terrible idea.
                          Don't hate on us half cage daily drivers 🤪

Comment

Thanks for the answer!

Instead you should do CMP underside & topside plates, subframe aluminum bushings, CMP rear brace & Slon front strut tower triangulating brace. A bolt-in half cage won’t do much for torsionnal rigidity
                            2001 BMW E46 M3 Laguna Seca / M-Texture 6mt
                            2006 BMW E46 M3 Individual Estoril blue/Black 6mt
                            2019 BMW X3 M40i Phytonic blue/Tartufo Individual

Comment

Originally posted by Cronenberged View Post

Don't hate on us half cage daily drivers 🤪
                              A half cage behind the front seats is pretty much just a roll bar, that's plenty safe for the street with a bucket seat. Porsche legally sells a good amount of them with DOT blessing

Comment

Originally posted by usdmej View Post

A half cage behind the front seats is pretty much just a roll bar, that's plenty safe for the street with a bucket seat. Porsche legally sells a good amount of them with DOT blessing
                                Yea I have a Cobra Sasuka seat.

Comment

Working...
                                X