Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

S6-37 6mt swap info (broken off from junk yard thread)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by e46IX View Post
    Click image for larger version

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2023-11-28 at 11.38.22_fdde5db3.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	243752

This just got shipped in, snuck this one from a wrecker who had it priced for cheap. Contacted Ronald to see if he can make an SSK for me hoping to get one from him by end of January.

Just so you guys know, the ZF 6-Speed in the E46 330i is also used in those early E60 525/30's with the M54 engine. I think it was 04-06 E60. I found mine like this priced under market value from car-part.

Did you ever make the tranny swap? Any reviews/insight you can provide would be appreciated. Thanks...

Comment

Originally posted by BMWE46M3 View Post

Did you ever make the tranny swap? Any reviews/insight you can provide would be appreciated. Thanks...
      I'm probably still a month or two away before I bring the E46 M3 back home to finish the build. Just waiting on my engine builder to get the motor back together and I'll be sure to post updates here for everyone.

I have since acquired a few more transmissions. One of them is from a Z4M, one from an E60 530i, and the other 2 from E46 330's.

Apparently the Z4M input shaft is a bit longer than the 330 variant, I'll get em all side by side and carefully inspect the differences. From the outside they look identical, also the Z4M uses the same flywheel as the E46 M3, but has a unique clutch setup.

Comment

The transmission tunnel and transmission placement is exactly the same on all US RWD E46s.

Other than the driveshaft this will bolt in exactly like it would to its native engine.

IE to put the E46 GS6-37 trans in from a 330 you would use the 330 clutch, flywheel, TOB, Ford, shifter assembly and crossmember. I don't know how the driveshafts compare but I would imagine you would need either the 330/6MT driveshaft or a custom one. Hydraulics are all the same so you don't have to make any changes there.
        '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Gray 332iT (SOLD), '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT
        Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
        Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Comment

Originally posted by George Hill View Post
          The transmission tunnel and transmission placement is exactly the same on all US RWD E46s.

Other than the driveshaft this will bolt in exactly like it would to its native engine.

IE to put the E46 GS6-37 trans in from a 330 you would use the 330 clutch, flywheel, TOB, Ford, shifter assembly and crossmember. I don't know how the driveshafts compare but I would imagine you would need either the 330/6MT driveshaft or a custom one. Hydraulics are all the same so you don't have to make any changes there.
          I thought the 330i driveshaft is the same as an E46 M3 driveshaft?
          Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

Originally posted by EthanolTurbo View Post

I thought the 330i driveshaft is the same as an E46 M3 driveshaft?
            I think the rear length is the same, but I am not sure about the front.

I'll dig out some driveshafts later and take a pic comparing them.
            '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Gray 332iT (SOLD), '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT
            Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
            Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Comment

E46 M3 DS is what you use when putting an M3 subframe/diff in a 6 speed 330i so it should work fine in the M3 with the GS6-37.

Comment

How big an improvement is the GS6-37? The standard E46 M3 gearbox is really the only thing I don't care for about the car.
                Old, not obsolete.

Comment

Originally posted by D-O View Post
                  How big an improvement is the GS6-37? The standard E46 M3 gearbox is really the only thing I don't care for about the car.
                  I had to replace the GS6-37 because of an engine failure taking out the bellhousing, it was excellent! It was also a BMW reman. Hard to say how a used gearbox will shift.

A reman GS6-37 used to be about $3k which I think makes more sense than swapping in a used gearbox. Nowadays...not sure where prices are. I know the 420g has doubled over the past 8 years.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post

I had to replace the GS6-37 because of an engine failure taking out the bellhousing, it was excellent! It was also a BMW reman. Hard to say how a used gearbox will shift.

A reman GS6-37 used to be about $3k which I think makes more sense than swapping in a used gearbox. Nowadays...not sure where prices are. I know the 420g has doubled over the past 8 years.
                    Was the reman from BMW or a third party? I seen that some BMW parts places charge a notable core charge that is not really returnable if your trying to replace a different box.

Comment

Working...
                    X