Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M3 Stablemates: What else do you have in the garage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kaiv View Post

Oh man, I am 100% down to do the ZHP but the S65... I'm not sure I have it in me to do it all over again. While I did save most of the parts, there are forced compromises to fit it and make it work on the E46 chassis that don't make it a 100% OE style fully integrated swap...
    The person I interviewed years ago was able to do his with no steering shaft modifications. Very few parts were modified / most were OE.

Here's a pic of the build I saw: https://www.builtforredline.com/wp-c...3-s65-swap.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by powerbait View Post
      Click image for larger version

Name:	barn.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	219.7 KB
ID:	271114
      Click image for larger version

Name:	e46 barn.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	282.2 KB
ID:	271115
      98 Cosmos E36
      06 Imola E46 ZCP
      10 Melbourne E92
      18 Imola F80 ZCP
      all slicktop
      Nice setup. I'm half disappointed E36 is not a Hellrot or Mugello....just kidding!
      BMW / E46M Interior & Trim Restoration.
      https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/c...ch-restoration

Comment

It really is! It's quintessential old school BMW fun. Not too big, not too heavy, both ends of the car do exactly what you want with great feel/communication coming through. It reminds me of the E36 in some ways which is the car that made me fall in love with BMWs to begin with.

I have a lot of E9X M parts including a complete S65 I could be talked into selling if you're interested 😅
        I really need to find a 1M to drive, they sound like a ton of fun. Even the 128i is a blast, that chassis is just so good.

And man don't do this to me. That thing is supposed to be the reliable daily that is never down because of projects!

No, but in all seriousness, it's an N51 car, so need to figure out how to make the swap legal. Which really means it either needs to become an unregistered track car or I need to exchange it for another chassis. Fortunately non-Ms are cheap, so it shouldn't be a big deal. But yeah, project for down the line.
        2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Honestly, I hated the e82 chassis other than the increased front end grip from e46. The short wheelbase felt funny, the front cowl/dash creaks horribly. The e90 M3 is leaps and bounds better imo, but my e82 was a 128i (slicktop/6mt), not the 1m which has e9x M parts.

And I'm suprised either of you'd want anything to do with a turbo, but I know it's not the old days anymore. Just philosophically, N/A bmw engines were peak engineering. An engine to be used with a turbo is "dumbed" down. Total power output is increased, but the engine is worse, the feel, the sound etc. Cheap power. Like microwaving cold pizza instead of a hot brick oven.

Best thing you could do with the e82 would be an S65 imo.
          DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
          /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
          More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

To be fair, I've never driven the car actually hard (i.e. not on the road). Was so close to sneaking it on track at Laguna a couple weeks back, but the logistics didn't end up working out. But I have to say that I really like the short wheelbase. Gives it a very lively character, especially at slower speeds. Dash (and armrest!) creak is super annoying though.

And you're right, I don't want anything to do with a turbo, hence the talk of grabbing my E82 and swapping all the E9X M3 stuff in
            2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post
              To be fair, I've never driven the car actually hard (i.e. not on the road). Was so close to sneaking it on track at Laguna a couple weeks back, but the logistics didn't end up working out. But I have to say that I really like the short wheelbase. Gives it a very lively character, especially at slower speeds. Dash (and armrest!) creak is super annoying though.

And you're right, I don't want anything to do with a turbo, hence the talk of grabbing my E82 and swapping all the E9X M3 stuff in
              There are lots of talks of the Golden Gate chapter hosting a Laguna track day - you should bring along your ride. I'm bias because I'm on the board, but we just had a Sonoma track day with a great response and we focus on maximizing seat time.

If you need help wiring a E9x swap into an E82, I can help you out with the electronics side.

Comment

Originally posted by TexaZ3 View Post

Nice setup. I'm half disappointed E36 is not a Hellrot or Mugello....just kidding!
                Thanks, it's really all dumb luck that I ended up with the barn, when I sent the listing to the wife I was 100% joking and had no intentions of moving... but here we are, she enable this obsession. I only had the e92 and f80 when we moved here. I've considered getting the e36 wrapped in an imola-ish red, 1. to match and 2. to protect the paint. but I've been more focused on the e46 lately. I just went through a full windows out respray, added the carbon panel, csl trunk and euro bumper. The whole front was PPF'd and the rest ceramic coated. I'm about to drop the rear subframe and reinforce it.

Comment

Originally posted by YoitsTmac View Post

The person I interviewed years ago was able to do his with no steering shaft modifications. Very few parts were modified / most were OE.

Here's a pic of the build I saw: https://www.builtforredline.com/wp-c...3-s65-swap.jpg
                  I also kept the stock location steering shaft but looking at that photo and how low the engine sits, I'm guessing concessions were made elsewhere.

IG: @limited.slip

Imola Red E46 330i ZHP Sedan S54 6MT
                  Alpine White E90 M3 6MT
                  Alpine White 1 Series M
                  A̶l̶p̶i̶n̶e̶ W̶h̶i̶t̶e̶ E̶4̶6̶ 3̶2̶5̶i̶ T̶o̶u̶r̶i̶n̶g̶ S̶5̶4̶ 6̶M̶T̶
                  T̶i̶t̶a̶n̶i̶u̶m̶ S̶i̶l̶v̶e̶r̶ E̶3̶9̶ 5̶4̶0̶i̶ M̶-̶S̶p̶o̶r̶t̶ ​T̶o̶u̶r̶i̶n̶g̶ S̶6̶2̶ 6̶M̶T̶

Comment

I also kept the stock location steering shaft but looking at that photo and how low the engine sits, I'm guessing concessions were made elsewhere.
                    I have notes somewhere but he trimmed and reinforced the front subframe. He said it was more rigid than factory and that he was able to use stock headers, oil pan and steering shaft. He banged the hood reinforcements flat

Comment

I've never driven a 128 but have plenty of seat time in 135s (both N54 and N55) and IMHO the biggest issue with them was not the engine but the chassis. Way too much soft rubber absolutely everywhere, not to mention the open diff. I'd swap M3 subframes/suspension etc before I'd swap an S65.

Alpine White E90 M3 6MT
                      Alpine White 1 Series M
                      T̶i̶t̶a̶n̶i̶u̶m̶ S̶i̶l̶v̶e̶r̶ E̶3̶9̶ 5̶4̶0̶i̶ M̶-̶S̶p̶o̶r̶t̶ ​T̶o̶u̶r̶i̶n̶g̶ S̶6̶2̶ 6̶M̶T̶

Comment

Heinz > You can drive mine if you're ever down here.
                        And ya unfortunately the state requirements override the federal ones, we cannot put a "regular" engine into a SULEV car and register it legally here

Alpine White E90 M3 6MT
                        Alpine White 1 Series M

Comment

Originally posted by YoitsTmac View Post

There are lots of talks of the Golden Gate chapter hosting a Laguna track day - you should bring along your ride. I'm bias because I'm on the board, but we just had a Sonoma track day with a great response and we focus on maximizing seat time.

If you need help wiring a E9x swap into an E82, I can help you out with the electronics side.
                          Thanks! I need to go to one of those track days someday, have heard good thing from track friends.​

I've never driven a 128 but have plenty of seat time in 135s (both N54 and N55) and IMHO the biggest issue with them was not the engine but the chassis. Way too much soft rubber absolutely everywhere, not to mention the open diff. I'd swap M3 subframes/suspension etc before I'd swap an S65.
                          Heinz > You can drive mine if you're ever down here.
                          And ya unfortunately the state requirements override the federal ones, we cannot put a "regular" engine into a SULEV car and register it legally here
                          Yeah you can tell BMW built this car as a comfortable daily and not a sports car. I just love how rigid the chassis feels and think the size is perfect.

And hell yeah! I'll reach out next time I'm down there! Likewise if you're ever up in the bay

Comment

Originally posted by TexaZ3 View Post

Yea a slicktop Hellrot E36 would certainly be sweet wouldn't it

Last edited by Nate047; 07-12-2024, 12:09 PM.
                            http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
                            '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
                            '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Congrats on that ZHP. I’ve never owned or driven one but have a lot of miles in regular E46 330is, which are pretty much the same. Maybe the minority opinion here but I’d take one of those any day over an M3 for a road car. My E39 M5 fits that role for me now but even when I bought that I was looking for a simple 530i sport 5 speed, just couldn’t find a clean one. Lot to be said for that M54.

Comment

Actually just sold my 996t and got back into an E46. The Land Cruiser is my daily driver and I also have a cosmo turbo e36 m3 that I’m building.

edit: not sure why my photo quality got trashed upon upload

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8357.jpg Views:	0 Size:	121.8 KB ID:	271716

Click image for larger version  Name:	dsc_9224-hdr.jpg Views:	0 Size:	137.8 KB ID:	271715
                                996TT
                                Turbo E36 M3
                                FZJ80

Comment

Working...
                                X