Best option for headers + cats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by simonnim View Post
    Wait, for those who have done twin OEM resonator set up by taking it from another section 1, does that mean it's 'equal' lengths now if you go that route?

Unfortunately, no - OEM section pipes are the same length. If this was the case, the OEM catted section 1 would be considered equal length.

The exaggerated bends/ s-curve on one of the two pipes for the section 1 makes that pipe longer than its counterpart. This makes up for the inequality between the short header and the long header.

The length of the long header paired + the straight section 1 side = the short header + the curved section 1 side

This combo results in headers + section 1 being ‘equal length’ for both sides of the section 1.

For every other headers + section 1 combo, there is still a short side and a long side due to the length difference introduced by the headers (unless you get equal length headers).
    '02 ///M3 Alpine White / Cinnamon 6MT

Comment

the couple vids I was able to find on YT for sunbeam e46m3s sounded pretty good to me. aren't ARH supposed to be equal length also?

Comment

I'm gonna need one of those Sunbeam section 1's ASAP.

Current:

1997 BMW M3 - Boston Green/Modena
        2003 BMW M3 · Coupe · 6MT - Alpine White/M-Texture Alcantara

Comment

Isn't factory already "equal length" if the shorter pipe (bank 2 header) extends farther to the tail pipe due to our large muffler (passenger side tail pipes being farther away than driver side) ?
          DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
          /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
          More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

I think the sound change probably has more do to with equal lengths before the H pipe in section 2. I doubt it makes any more power than stock but who cares, it sounds awesome in those videos.

It also seems like something that would be relatively easy to fabricate if you've built an exhaust before.

Comment

Originally posted by BMWahba View Post
              I'm gonna need one of those Sunbeam section 1's ASAP.
              Seems really overpriced for what it offers. The other thing is that nobody has recorded the exhaust with a high end mic so the true sound is only known in person currently.
              Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

Sunbeam told me that they are considering producing the equal length section 1 with cats. So if anyone else wants that, send them a message so that they can see that there is sufficient interest there.

Comment

Originally posted by EthanolTurbo View Post

Seems really overpriced for what it offers. The other thing is that nobody has recorded the exhaust with a high end mic so the true sound is only known in person currently.
                  Don't disagree, someone stateside should produce them. Similar pipes should sell for like $700

Current:

1997 BMW M3 - Boston Green/Modena
                  2003 BMW M3 · Coupe · 6MT - Alpine White/M-Texture Alcantara

Comment

Don't disagree, someone stateside should produce them. Similar pipes should sell for like $700
                    When I was doing my searching, when I found the images of the saclan equal length sec1, I saw posts of some people chopping off one side of the stock sec1 and just welding in a curved piped. Now, that doesn't help, but it just throws the idea out there, that all it would take is to replicate the bends and length, but that is easier said then done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Gearhead55 View Post
                      Sunbeam told me that they are considering producing the equal length section 1 with cats. So if anyone else wants that, send them a message so that they can see that there is sufficient interest there.
                      To be honest with their pricing it looks like im just going to save and get the SS Catted section and call it a day.

Comment

Originally posted by 0-60motorsports View Post

To be honest with their pricing it looks like im just going to save and get the SS Catted section and call it a day.
                        I'm still considering that route as well. I have an equal length midpipe coming for my X3M, if that changes the sound in some magnificent way on that chassis then I'll place more importance on equal length for the E46. I'm not in a rush to decide.

Comment

I don’t know. With exhaust stuff it seems like anything that remotely resembles a deal is a nightmare to install due to the fitment. I’d pay up for fitment alone. If it bolts up, it’s worth it imo.

Comment

Can anyone post some video links to the equal length section 1 sound clips, I can’t seem to find any sunbeam sec 1 videos on YouTube.

Comment

the guy that has been promoting them on ig has a lot of clips on his page

$1k+ does seem to be very pricey for an equal length section 1, the guy on ig did make the justification that they are the original creators and you should pay the developers tax, but as posted in this thread, it looks like Saclam offered this design a long time ago.

and now it looks like Rogue Engineering is dabbling into a version of their own too

Comment

Rogue engineering is about to make an equal length Sec1 as well if there was enough interest to have it made with cats I'm sure they would make some

Comment

Working...
                                X