Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! Cross Threaded FCAB Bolt

Hi all,

I was finishing up a DIY oil pan job, and was reinstalling the driver side FCAB when one of the bolts went in slightly crooked (by hand). I backed it out immediately, but it seems that I cross threaded the first 3 or so threads in the chassis where the FCAB mates up. I ordered a thread chaser kit, and the chaser seems to follow the crossed threads, not the original ones. Should I continue with a tap, or admit defeat, put the car back together and bring it to a shop? Also, can the car be driven with only one bolt holding the FCAB on?

Thanks!
    '06 BMW M3 6MT Coupe - TiAg/Imola
    '99 BMW M3 5MT Coupe - Estoril/Dove
    '00 Honda Civic Si - Electron Blue Pearl/Black
    '11 Toyota Tacoma T/X TRD - Magnetic Grey/Grey

Instagram: @6spd_M3 | @midwesteuroparts

Originally posted by Titaniu//M View Post
    Hi all,

I was finishing up a DIY oil pan job, and was reinstalling the driver side FCAB when one of the bolts went in slightly crooked (by hand). I backed it out immediately, but it seems that I cross threaded the first 3 or so threads in the chassis where the FCAB mates up. I ordered a thread chaser kit, and the chaser seems to follow the crossed threads, not the original ones. Should I continue with a tap, or admit defeat, put the car back together and bring it to a shop? Also, can the car be driven with only one bolt holding the FCAB on?

Thanks!
    I thought I did this to one of mine but a little finaglling and all is good, it is hard to cross thread these tbh. The thread chaser is a good tool (if you bought a high quality one) and should fix it. I would get the FCAB mounted and centered with the good bolt and then carefully try again. When chasing, you will feel some resistance and it may seem like it is crooked at first but it should straighten out without much force. The handle on the chaser should give you sufficient torque, i would probably avoid putting a big wrench on it.

Also, use a wire brush or metal pick to clean the threads inside, there may be metal blocking the threads.
    Last edited by Icecream; 05-12-2020, 04:20 PM.

Comment

Try this method, It’s easy and it works.

TTFS Engine/SMG Tune - CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA
      Brembo 996 - ARC-8's - BWS 500S 9k/11k - Valentine 1 - BlueBus - Orion V4's
      Evolve Eventuri
      - VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser/CSL Trunk

Comment

Same experience as icecream.

OP try attaching the FCAB bracket with the good bolt and then using it as a guide for the second one.
        2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Thanks for the input guys, I'll try this tomorrow when I'm more clear headed
          '06 BMW M3 6MT Coupe - TiAg/Imola
          '99 BMW M3 5MT Coupe - Estoril/Dove
          '00 Honda Civic Si - Electron Blue Pearl/Black
          '11 Toyota Tacoma T/X TRD - Magnetic Grey/Grey

Instagram: @6spd_M3 | @midwesteuroparts

Comment

Working...
          X