No Crank, No Start after rear interior work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Crank, No Start after rear interior work

Hey guys looking to see if anyone has any suggestions for me. Today I had everything out of the rear interior: door panels, seats, shelf, etc. When I wrapped everything up and put the interior back together, the car no longer cranks or starts. I just get a single click.

I first assumed I messed with the fuel pump somehow since I had the bench out but this wasn’t the case since I was able to activate it using my schwaben tool.

Is there some wiring that runs to or lives in the rear that I potentially messed up?

Originally posted by ejendow View Post
    Hey guys looking to see if anyone has any suggestions for me. Today I had everything out of the rear interior: door panels, seats, shelf, etc. When I wrapped everything up and put the interior back together, the car no longer cranks or starts. I just get a single click.

I first assumed I messed with the fuel pump somehow since I had the bench out but this wasn't the case since I was able to activate it using my schwaben tool.

Is there some wiring that runs to or lives in the rear that I potentially messed up?
    Do you have sufficient charge in the battery? If you had everything out were the interior lights on draining the battery? Single click sounds like starter doesn't have enough juice to turn over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2005 ///M3 SMG Coupe Silbergrau Metallic/CSL bucket seats
    Build Thread:
    https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...e46-m3-journal

Comment

Originally posted by karter16 View Post

Do you have sufficient charge in the battery? If you had everything out were the interior lights on draining the battery? Single click sounds like starter doesn't have enough juice to turn over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      I should. I also tried using a jumper box, but for now I'm gonna charge the battery overnight and try again in the morning.

Comment

Charged the battery overnight, but this wasn't the issue unfortunately. Anyone have any ideas?

Comment

update: checked voltage at the starter and there is 12V when not cranking. When I go to crank the car, the voltage drops to 0V. what would be causing this? voltage at the black wire terminal on the starter exists when cranking.

still stumped

Comment

update: checked voltage at the starter and there is 12V when not cranking. When I go to crank the car, the voltage drops to 0V. what would be causing this? voltage at the black wire terminal on the starter exists when cranking.

still stumped
            Loose big cable.
            Chech the voltage at fender post (and the battery cables) when crank

Comment

I first assumed I messed with the fuel pump somehow since I had the bench out but this wasn't the case since I was able to activate it using my schwaben tool.

What other work were you doing with all the interior bits removed?

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post

Loose big cable.
                Chech the voltage at fender post (and the battery cables) when crank
                voltage at the fender post and battery cables both remain at 12V when cranking. it's only at the starter where the voltage drops to 0V. When I put 12V directly to the starter when cranking, the car starts and idles fine.

Comment

Originally posted by eacmen View Post

What other work were you doing with all the interior bits removed?
                  just swapping from grey to black. nothing with the wiring

Comment

Might be an EWS issue. You have a bmw scanner or INPA? You should be able to log data and it will tell you the reason why it's not starting.

Comment

Originally posted by eacmen View Post
                      Might be an EWS issue. You have a bmw scanner or INPA? You should be able to log data and it will tell you the reason why it's not starting.
                      are you referring to the “Starter blocked due to…”? if so those all say No so things look fine there

Comment

are you referring to the “Starter blocked due to…”? if so those all say No so things look fine there
                        Hmmm interesting. Since you're hearing the solenoid click but no crank and by jumping voltage to the starter works fine I would then suspect a faulty solenoid. Try tapping lightly on the starter with a light hammer, and see if it fixes it.

Comment

+1 for bad solenoid... you've ruled out seemingly everything else, except maybe crank position sensor. I'd look to throw a CPS at it first, since those are known to go without warning.

maw

Comment

I had the same issue as you are describing about two years ago. For me, it was the crankshaft position sensor. I would note that the front subframe makes the hex bolt, which is located on the firewall side of the engine, extremely difficult to get to. Stubby ball hex keys were the only tool I had that allowed me to replace the sensor absent additional dissasembly on the underside of the vehicle. As others have indicated, your readings point to a solenoid issue, but the CPS is around $40(?) and may resolve your issue. Additionally, INPA provided information about the faulty CPS, so solenoid seems most likely. I wish you the best.
                            2006 ///M3 6MT Coupe Jet Black Track Car
                            [Karbonius] [MCS 2WNR] [Zionsville] [ [SPAL] [Ground Control] [Beisan] [Rogue Engineering] [Vorshlag] [Redish] [CMP] [Bimmerworld] [Kassel] [TTFS] [Apex] [TMS Sways] [Buildjournal] [Radium] [Ultimate Pedals] [OMP Seats/Harnesses] [UUC SSK] [Custom Cage] [Supersprint] [Carbontastic] [MEC CSL Diffuser] [Trackspec] [Street Faction] [Condor] [Hard Motorsports] [AiM] [Maintenance] [Ask me about products and exact weight of front end components]

Comment

Originally posted by Fresh1179 View Post
                              I had the same issue as you are describing about two years ago. For me, it was the crankshaft position sensor. I would note that the front subframe makes the hex bolt, which is located on the firewall side of the engine, extremely difficult to get to. Stubby ball hex keys were the only tool I had that allowed me to replace the sensor absent additional dissasembly on the underside of the vehicle. As others have indicated, your readings point to a solenoid issue, but the CPS is around $40(?) and may resolve your issue. Additionally, INPA provided information about the faulty CPS, so solenoid seems most likely. I wish you the best.
                              CPS is right near the starter motor as well. So it's one of those “while you're there” items that makes a lot of sense.

Comment

Working...
                              X