F8X M3/M4 CF Drive shaft mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EthanolTurbo View Post
    Just picked this up today. Here is the CF driveshaft, still looks to be in really great shape and condition.

If this turns out well, I will also try to retrofit another CF driveshaft onto my E90 M3.
    Nice one! This should be really intersting and worth doing. Both myself and my tech are waiting to see your progress. He did tell me he can do it here in Bahrain but we both decided to get some info from members and now you on the forums first because my M3 is SMG and it'll stay that way.

Comment

Interested, I have the YCM carbon driveshaft on my E92 M3. One of my favourite mods but current pricing on those are a bit high.

This looks like an OE-equivalent solution for much better value.

Comment

Where are people buying used shafts?

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
        2012 LMB/Black 128i
        2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Just ordered one from eBay

Comment

Me too. 🤪

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
            2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Lucky bastards 🤣

Hopefully someone from here will be able to help me out when this is figured out for SMG cars. Thanks guys.

Comment

Great mod. Definitely interested in feedback once someone gets one of these installed.

Comment

from internet searching, it looks like the f80 driveshaft is said to be 1477mm and realoem states 1404mm for e46 m3 driveshaft. So looks like as long as the shop can shorten 73mm (2.87") with the correct flanges and have it balanced.
                  Last edited by enjoy_m3; 01-12-2024, 07:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by enjoy_m3 View Post
                    from internet searching, it looks like the f80 driveshaft is said to be 1477mm and realoem states 1404mm for e46 m3 driveshaft. So looks like as long as the shop can lengthen 73mm (2.87") with the correct flanges and have it balanced.
                    Having it balanced will be my biggest issue in Bahrain.

Comment

Originally posted by enjoy_m3 View Post
                      from internet searching, it looks like the f80 driveshaft is said to be 1477mm and realoem states 1404mm for e46 m3 driveshaft. So looks like as long as the shop can lengthen 73mm (2.87") with the correct flanges and have it balanced.
                      What kind of "shop" would one be looking to find to do this kind of work? Any particular flanges to use (BMW part, or...?). I'm very interested in this, looks like you can't buy new shafts--so eBay is the purveyor of choice here?

Comment

Wow, these are so cheap, following with great anticipation, lol.
                        '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Gray 332iT (SOLD), '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT
                        Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
                        Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Comment

Originally posted by PSUEng View Post

What kind of "shop" would one be looking to find to do this kind of work? Any particular flanges to use (BMW part, or...?). I'm very interested in this, looks like you can't buy new shafts--so eBay is the purveyor of choice here?
                          The shop that I used specializes in servicing driveshafts. For the main part the shop has to have excellent welders and experience with balancing shafts.

No, you can't buy them new. BMW stopped using CF shafts in the M4 when they had to start using particle filters in Europe. (When downgrading to a smaller diameter steel shaft it created more space to fit the filter in the exhaust). At least that was the official explanation.

330 driveshafts use the same flanges as the M3. And they are cheaper than used M3 shafts.

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 7 mit Tapatalk

Comment

Is the welded steel section bonded to the CF or is it removable somehow?

Comment

I have a local driveshaft shop I’m pretty confident in— they shortened the driveshaft for my e60 M5’s SMG to 6mt conversion, and you’d never know it wasn’t stock. Completely smooth at all speeds..

I’m going all in— using the flanges from my current, stock driveshaft rather than sourcing new parts. No easy back tracking for me

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                              2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Originally posted by discoelk View Post
                                Is the welded steel section bonded to the CF or is it removable somehow?
                                Bonded.

It’ll be cutting off some portion of the stock f8x steel parts, welding on the e46 flanges (carefully managing heat and setting the lengths to e46 driveshaft length), and then balancing the final assembly.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                                2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Working...
                                X