Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EthanolTurbo View Post

Not sure tbh.

As for weights, sorry guys. My wife wasn't able to pick it up on Friday when she was nearby so I won't be able to pick it up and weigh it until Monday. Will update the thread as soon as I can.
    Sounds like the wife is sleeping on the couch this weekend...lol..does she know how many people in this forum she's disappointed?

Comment

For the guys wondering if it will work with smg, it does decent amount of clearance on the giubo side. I opted for a HD giubo hopefully it’s enough to reduce flex /movement on the trans side. Diff will needs to move back 10ish mm to install the shaft. I’ll report back with a road test when the salt washes away in the spring.

Total cost around $1100 CAD so $250 usd or $150 euro🤣🤣🤣

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post

Sounds like the wife is sleeping on the couch this weekend...lol..does she know how many people in this forum she's disappointed?
        Her response was "if you really wanted it, you should've gone and got it!" It was my fault because I should've told her to go there first and not after appointment. 🙁
        Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

Originally posted by Corradoloco View Post
          For the guys wondering if it will work with smg, it does decent amount of clearance on the giubo side. I opted for a HD giubo hopefully it’s enough to reduce flex /movement on the trans side. Diff will needs to move back 10ish mm to install the shaft. I’ll report back with a road test when the salt washes away in the spring.

Total cost around $1100 CAD so $250 usd or $150 euro🤣🤣🤣
          Thank you very much for the info did you use SMG driveshaft flanges from your OEM driveshaft?

There should be difference between SMG and non SMG driveshaft flanges because of actuator if am not mistaken.

Comment

So are the f8x shafts going to keep going up? Thinking I should jump on one. Looking to do this on my E90, so I'm wondering if less work is going to be required as it's just one gen off. I would also buy a pre-converted one EthanolTurbo . I don't think any of the shops around here are going to like seeing a BMW as it appears most work on trucks and classics.

Comment

Originally posted by RazorM View Post

Thank you very much for the info did you use SMG driveshaft flanges from your OEM driveshaft?

There should be difference between SMG and non SMG driveshaft flanges because of actuator if am not mistaken.
              I purchased a used one for the flanges but I’m not sure if it was off a smg or man, they look the same, I kept my original one intact.

Comment

Originally posted by Bimmerdude View Post
                So are the f8x shafts going to keep going up? Thinking I should jump on one. Looking to do this on my E90, so I'm wondering if less work is going to be required as it's just one gen off. I would also buy a pre-converted one EthanolTurbo . I don't think any of the shops around here are going to like seeing a BMW as it appears most work on trucks and classics.
                Shipping might be cost prohibitive but I can get a lot of these driveshafts for a good price if I had enough people that want one. I can get 10 or so currently.

Comment

Depending on price I'm in.

Comment

Also in depending on price, and local-ish
                    '04 LSB Coupe 6MT
                    All my money goes towards maintenance.

Comment

Shipping might be cost prohibitive but I can get a lot of these driveshafts for a good price if I had enough people that want one. I can get 10 or so currently.
                      Nice, Im in depending on what the price will be.

Edit: does anyone know a shop in Jacksonville FL that can do this job?
                      Last edited by 0-60motorsports; 02-12-2024, 12:45 AM.

Comment

I think the price I got quoted is $260-280 each, no tax, if I buy all 10 driveshafts. If anyone wants one, send me the dough for yours and I'll go get the whole lot if enough people want one. For obvious reasons I'd rather not sit on all the driveshafts but if I had enough forum members that want one I would be willing to pony up the dough to sit on part of the lot I guess. 😅
                        Last edited by EthanolTurbo; 02-12-2024, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Ok I finally was able to pick up the driveshaft this morning and just got it home.

Looks great, can't even tell it didn't come on an E46 M3 originally. I was able to do an unscientific weigh-in on a basic personal scale so this is by no means calibrated or should be taken as 100% accurate. I will find a legit scale later. The weight I got was 14.6 lbs without guibo.

Oh yeah and I took some pics. Will install sometime this week and take it on my local backroads and do a full writeup.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20240212_125829.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	256.2 KB
ID:	253166 Click image for larger version

Name:	20240212_125824.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	203.9 KB
ID:	253167 Click image for larger version

Name:	20240212_125816.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	236.4 KB
ID:	253168

Comment

Ok I finally was able to pick up the driveshaft this morning and just got it home.

Looks great, can't even tell it didn't come on an E46 M3 originally. I was able to do an unscientific weigh-in on a basic personal scale so this is by no means calibrated or should be taken as 100% accurate. I will find a legit scale later. The weight I got was 14.6 lbs without guibo.

Oh yeah and I took some pics. Will install sometime this week and take it on my local backroads and do a full writeup.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20240212_125829.jpg Views:	0 Size:	256.2 KB ID:	253166 Click image for larger version  Name:	20240212_125824.jpg Views:	0 Size:	203.9 KB ID:	253167 Click image for larger version  Name:	20240212_125816.jpg Views:	0 Size:	236.4 KB ID:	253168
                            Any ability to weigh a stock driveshaft on the same scale?

Certainly looks good! Very stock-esque.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                            2012 LMB/Black 128i
                            2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

Any ability to weigh a stock driveshaft on the same scale?
                              The stock driveshaft weighed 17.6 lbs without guibo on the scale.

Take these weighs with a massive grain of sale because the weight would change half a lb or more due to me just stepping on the scale with the driveshafts and holding them different ways would alter the weight. Once I find a legit scale I will put up accurate numbers.

Comment

~1.4 kg (~17%) decrease, which means the radius can increase ~9.8% before the moment of inertia of the CF shaft is greater than the stock one (note that this is just an approximation, as the actual moment also depends on the wall thickness of each shaft).

Elimination of CSB, increased stiffness and net weight savings are still upsides to this mod, but I have a feeling the moment of inertia between this and stock is going to be super close.
                                Last edited by heinzboehmer; 02-12-2024, 12:58 PM.
                                2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Working...
                                X