• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cglhut View Post
    Depending on cost I may be in as well.
    +1

Comment

+1

Comment

Are there THAT many F80 cars getting salvaged nowadays? Or are people stealing these carbon driveshafts like catalytic converters 🙃?

Comment

Originally posted by Bry5on View Post

If you get a couple modified and batch order with your driveshaft shop, I’m game to cover your time/costs for at least two to make it worth your while. I’m in San Diego frequently.
          I can do that. I have access to a lot of these so should be able to push out 10-20 for the community if necessary.

I predict each one should cost somewhere been $600-900 depending on whether you need new flanges, fresh CV joint etc.
          Last edited by EthanolTurbo; 01-14-2024, 11:34 AM.
          Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

Originally posted by nyc951 View Post
            Are there THAT many F80 cars getting salvaged nowadays? Or are people stealing these carbon driveshafts like catalytic converters 🙃?
            Yes. F80 has roughly 50% more wtq than an E9x M3 bone stock in a very stiff RWD chassis and people get very overconfident with traction control systems lowered/disabled.
            Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

Originally posted by EthanolTurbo View Post

I predict each one should cost somewhere been $600-900 depending on whether you need new flanges, fresh CV joint etc.
              Sounds right. I paid around €600 here in Germany (including the new joint).

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 7 mit Tapatalk

Comment

its a nice mod for e8x e9x M cars, but i'm not sure about e46m3. first of them has quite heavy driveshaft, and e46 doesn't (compared to CF from f8x).
                I'm a little bit further, than just theory, cause i've made an attempt in last season .
                before writing about my experience, i'll add some figures:
                e46m3 driveshaft weight (with cv joint) - 8.5kg​ (18.7lbs)
                e9x m3 driveshaft weight (with cv joint) - 13.1kg (28.9lbs)

F8x cf driveshaft (with joint also, but different type, looks lighter) - 7.6kg (16.7lbs)

year ago i had brand new f8x driveshaft on hands and after some thoughts and measurements (too tight fitment with f8x tube, due to the huge diameter, compared to the stock shaft) i've decided to try with rx8 cf driveshaft for my conversion, instead of f8x. rx8 driveshaft has smaller diameter tube, so obviously, more weight loss potential over f8x driveshaft. yep, i had some doubts, cause rx8 has no torque, compared to our cars, but anyway, for NA engine i decided that it could be enough.
                so i've made it, but unfortunately, i saw some issues (growing hum/noise on 220+kmh speeds) during first rides and i had a trackdays too close and i made a decision not to risk and fit my old driveshaft for the race. and after that, i didn't tried it again and didn't tried to solve or to identify an issue. maybe in this season i will have a chance for second attempt.

i'll post the pics of my result for better visibility, but for some attentive guys i'll make a remark - i had dct swapped car, so my driveshaft little bit shorter than standard one and has different front flange (e46 driveshaft was cut on the front end and new end was welded).

but for the side by side comparison i think its quite good.
                my e46m3 dct converted driveshaft:
                ​
                150g lighter, than stock e46m3.
                8360g (18.4lbs)

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20230316_180741934 (1).jpg Views:	0 Size:	52.0 KB ID:	249193
                converted with rx8 cf driveshaft
                6070g (13.4lbs)
                Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20230316_180819557 (1).jpg Views:	0 Size:	52.6 KB ID:	249194

so if i've got little bit more than 2kg drop on rx8 driveshaft, i don't think that you can get anything less than 7.5kg on f8x, maybe even heavier.​

and in this case i think there is not a lot sense to make this conversion. but anyway, up to you.​
                Last edited by Slonik; 01-14-2024, 11:43 PM.

Comment

Glad I scrolled through entire thread

Comment

I dont care if its heavier i just want to get rid of the CSB

Comment

Originally posted by EthanolTurbo View Post

I can do that. I have access to a lot of these so should be able to push out 10-20 for the community if necessary.

Sounds reasonable, if you can do the SMG one at the lower end of the cost spectrum im game. Thanks for doing this when and if you do.

Comment

Originally posted by 0-60motorsports View Post
                        I don't care if its heavier i just want to get rid of the CSB
                        its a nice advantage (and it is true for this piece).

i only wanted to draw attention to the weight figures and warn people not getting overexpectations with this piece, cause i'm sure most people expect weight reduction due to the "aerospace material" usage .

my own opinion, that for looking as an upgrade for this piece, i'd prefer to get 6-6.5 kg weight over 8.5kg standard. in this case, it could named as an upgrade (i would be happy with less than 6kg weight, but okay, i'm realistic ). and i'd think twice to do this mod, if weight loss will be up to 1kg.​

Comment

Originally posted by Slonik View Post

i only wanted to draw attention to the weight figures and warn people not getting overexpectations with this piece, cause i'm sure most people expect weight reduction due to the "aerospace material" usage .

my own opinion, that for looking as an upgrade for this piece, i'd prefer to get 6-6.5 kg weight over 8.5kg standard. in this case, it could named as an upgrade (i would be happy with less than 6kg weight, but okay, i'm realistic ). and i'd think twice to do this mod, if weight loss will be up to 1kg.​
                          Yes, Agreed. Thanks for posting what you already did a year back. Shame the RX8 CF DS did not work out.

Comment

Originally posted by Slonik View Post

My recollection from Altaran‘a post was that the e46m and f8x shafts where pretty similar weights stock, but, once you put the lighter e46 flanges on the cf shaft, the weight difference was a couple lbs. Not the case?

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                            2012 LMB/Black 128i
                            2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Carbon has the extra benefit of stiffness and more inherent damping. The reasons I’m interested in this are for those two and an inertial reduction to help with the clunk when shifting. Would love feedback from anyone who’s done a back to back on those metrics. Seems worth a shot!
                              ‘02 332iT / 6 | ‘70 Jaguar XJ6 electric conversion

Comment

Originally posted by Bry5on View Post
                                Carbon has the extra benefit of stiffness and more inherent damping. The reasons I’m interested in this are for those two and an inertial reduction to help with the clunk when shifting. Would love feedback from anyone who’s done a back to back on those metrics. Seems worth a shot!
                                I'll add to.

Just thinking out loud here, but any adverse side effects to the rest of the drivetrain? I.e., increasing the stiffness of the driveshaft potentially impacts XYZ because...

What about NVH? Increase, decrease, or no change?

Comment

Working...
                                X