F8X M3/M4 CF Drive shaft mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nextelbuddy View Post

how is it on the F8x cars with this driveshaft when it comes to install/removal? do they also have to loosen diff? or is the F8x DS flange adjustable/telescoping to allow install/removal with out touching the diff
    The YFCM is telescopic as well. In my opinion it is inherent in its 1 piece design. The factory shaft can be bent out at the CSB.
    2002 M3 Carbon Schwarz/Black 6MT

Comment

Originally posted by George Hill View Post
      In the BMW video, they state the CF diameter is directly related to max RPM, which IIRC is 7k on an S55.

Any thoughts on how this relates to spinning the S54 8k+?
      I assume they meant RPM of the driveshaft, not the engine.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
      2012 LMB/Black 128i
      2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

In the BMW video, they state the CF diameter is directly related to max RPM, which IIRC is 7k on an S55.

Any thoughts on how this relates to spinning the S54 8k+?
        I think it is 7600 and typically manufacturers over engineer parts to go beyond the stated limit. I'd be more concerned about the torque rating and fortunately, the S55 has plenty of torque.

Then again, BMW did recall some of them as they can fail spectacularly, probably due to that 406 ft/lbs of torque and a defect -

Click image for larger version  Name:	44740282155_85812852bb_z.jpg Views:	0 Size:	65.8 KB ID:	249684
        Click image for larger version

Name:	31782352358_8264c8fc5a_k.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	249687

Click image for larger version

Name:	30714046407_80fc70b4e8_z.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	249686
        Last edited by Slideways; 01-18-2024, 08:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
          I assume they meant RPM of the driveshaft, not the engine.
          I should have been more specific... and yes it is 7600 so the delta isn't nearly as big knowing that. 6th gear at redline is going to be the fastest driveshaft RPM, however realistic it is to get there.

S55 - 7600 RPM with .872 = 8,715rpm
          S54 - 8000 RPM with .828 = 9,661rpm
          *S54 - 7216 RPM with .828 = 8,715rpm

10% faster... maybe it doesn't matter, just curious

​
          Originally posted by Slideways View Post
          I think it is 7600 and typically manufacturers over engineer parts to go beyond the stated limit. I'd be more concerned about the torque rating and fortunately, the S55 has plenty of torque.

Then again, BMW did recall some of them as they can fail spectacularly, probably due to that 406 ft/lbs of torque and a defect -
          My car at 7216rpm is 185mph (not factoring any drag) so probably not something I am going to achieve anytime soon or for an extended period of time, but I do have thoughts of going 200 in it so.... lol

(S55 at 7000 RPM is the same driveshaft speed at 170mph in my car which is certainly attainable)​
          '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Gray 332iT (SOLD), '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT
          Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
          Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Comment

I should have been more specific... and yes it is 7600 so the delta isn't nearly as big knowing that. 6th gear at redline is going to be the fastest driveshaft RPM, however realistic it is to get there.

S55 - 7600 RPM with .872 = 8,715rpm
            S54 - 8000 RPM with .828 = 9,661rpm
            *S54 - 7216 RPM with .828 = 8,715rpm

10% faster... maybe it doesn't matter, just curious

​

My car at 7216rpm is 185mph (not factoring any drag) so probably not something I am going to achieve anytime soon or for an extended period of time, but I do have thoughts of going 200 in it so.... lol

(S55 at 7000 RPM is the same driveshaft speed at 170mph in my car which is certainly attainable)​
            I rarely go past the top of 4th anymore, and have never gone past the top of 5th.

185mph is the top of the speedo = same shaft RPM as the F8X. To me, this is sufficient.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
            2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

185mph is the top of the speedo = same shaft RPM as the F8X. To me, this is sufficient.
              Only if the rear gear, transmission gear and tire size are the same.

Not sure if it matters, but BMW thought it did so that is why I asked.

I will eventually do some standing mile events and other high speed stuff so while this is likely only relevant to a small group of people I figured it was still worth asking since we are here discussing the mod to begin with.
              '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Gray 332iT (SOLD), '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT
              Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
              Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Comment

I wonder if it might be viable to make the shaft a tiny bit shorter when cutting the flanges, to allow the expanding/contracting portion to cover the install without diff removal. I have no idea how much wiggle room there is in that joint.
                If I recall correctly it should be 12mm movement.

Though the wiggle room is needed to account for engine/tranny movement. Unless of course you run solid mounts...

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 7 mit Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by nextelbuddy View Post

how is it on the F8x cars with this driveshaft when it comes to install/removal? do they also have to loosen diff? or is the F8x DS flange adjustable/telescoping to allow install/removal with out touching the diff
                  f8x driveshaft has telescopic coupling near the front flange (you can see rubber boot on pics), and better to save it during conversion.

Comment

Still working on this. Should have it done next week hopefully. Been busy the last week with the baby being born but should have some updates soon and testing to see if the CF driveshaft offers improvement over stock.
                    Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

Originally posted by EthanolTurbo View Post
                      Still working on this. Should have it done next week hopefully. Been busy the last week with the baby being born but should have some updates soon and testing to see if the CF driveshaft offers improvement over stock.
                      Enjoy your new born we'll live no rush

Comment

Congrats bro!! God bless you and the Family.

Comment

Baby was born a week ago and you still haven’t gotten this done?

lazy.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                          2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

For those interested in SMG fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SliM3 View Post
                              For those interested in SMG fit.

Nice! Did you modify one already?

Comment

Originally posted by 0-60motorsports View Post

Nice! Did you modify one already?
                                No, just wanted to snap a few pics to help folks (roughly) verify fitment to an SMG box. I'm sold on the 8HP swap so I'm going that route, but still hope to use the driveshaft.

Comment

Working...
                                X