No announcement yet.

Help With Top Side Reinforcement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just completed a FULL CMP kit on my E46 M. Front RACP, rear RACP, and underside with the bolt-in support that sits flush behind the rear seat. It was a LOT of work and a lot of very careful welding. If you aren't well-versed or know somebody that is, I would maybe avoid the CMP kit. I personally love it, but I own a group of shops here in Ohio, so I wasn't worried about all the welding because I have an amazing guy at one of my shops. I can post pictures if you need help.

Comment

Originally posted by DMW_Evan View Post
      I just completed a FULL CMP kit on my E46 M. Front RACP, rear RACP, and underside with the bolt-in support that sits flush behind the rear seat. It was a LOT of work and a lot of very careful welding. If you aren't well-versed or know somebody that is, I would maybe avoid the CMP kit. I personally love it, but I own a group of shops here in Ohio, so I wasn't worried about all the welding because I have an amazing guy at one of my shops. I can post pictures if you need help.
      Yes, please. I'd love to see the photos of your install. I recently purchased the front and rear CMP topside kit, and was surprised everything came as individual pieces to be welded together to make the beam. It's a lot of welding, as you mentioned.

Comment

Standby, I just posted a new thread about it.

Comment

Hey all- Quick backstory, I've been off forums for a very long time, which is why my username says I haven't done anything here- I had to create a new username and all. That being said, last year I decided to get a whole bunch of money out of the market and put it back into physical assets, so I started the M-Folio. An M-car

Take a look at some of these. It's absolutely worth it and if you need help, I'm happy to tell you how we did it.

Comment

Originally posted by DMW_Evan View Post
            Please share

Comment

I'm sorry some of these are sideways- they were taken for reference, not necessarily to post.
              Rear RACP Reinforcement:
              Trimming trunk skin behind spare tire well.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4682.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	253297

Name:	IMG_4683.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	253298

Rear bar with frame rail attachments- the rail plates get welded on to the bar reinforcement.

Name:	IMG_4684 (1).jpg
Views:	148
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	253299

Complete the structure with top bar. This then gets spot welded (all the holes are spot welds). When you're done spot welding, you'll stitch weld the perimeter.

Name:	IMG_4687.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	253300

Cover it back up with the panel you cut, stitch it back together, seam seal, and paint.

Front is a lot harder.
              Seats out, heat gun and scrape the sound deadening where needed. Mock up the kit, paint pen or Sharpie the shape, grind away material to bare metal. VERY CAREFULLY cut the skin so that you have columns cut out (purple paint pen below). Weld in the reinforcements inside the gussets, then put the structure down for a similar process to the rear RACP- spot weld, tack weld, stitch together.

Name:	IMG_4770.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	253303

Structure in place and welded, seam sealed, primed. It was later painted Alpine white.

Name:	IMG_4796.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	253304

Bolt-in flush-mount roll bar is an option here. There's also K-braces for the trunk, etc.

Name:	IMG_4798.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	253305

Name:	IMG_4799.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	253306

The underside reinforcement is pretty self explanatory, but here is it finished. Happy to help if you order the kit and need any help.

Name:	IMG_4861.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	253307
              Attached Files

Comment

Don’t forget to weld the driver rear wheel well arch!

Comment

Working...
                X