Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quick question - are BW AL subframe bushings designed for stock ride height?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick question - are BW AL subframe bushings designed for stock ride height?

Hi All - about to pull the trigger on these, but I thought I read somewhere that these may be designed for lowered cars. I’m going to keep my car at stock ride height. Are these Bimmerworld bushings meant for OE ride height?

‘04 M3

Originally posted by Maxhouse97 View Post
    Hi All - about to pull the trigger on these, but I thought I read somewhere that these may be designed for lowered cars. I’m going to keep my car at stock ride height. Are these Bimmerworld bushings meant for OE ride height?

Quick answer, doesn't matter.
    2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

I thought CMP were the only "shorter" bushings offered to correct for the addition of racp plates.
      DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
      /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
      More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Agree with Tbonem3. CMP Is the only one I'm aware of with geometry correction for a lowered car with plates.
        3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Ok thanks guys - I knew CMP were, wasn’t sure about another manufacturer.
          ‘04 M3

Comment

This was the post I was referring to that implied it:

Doesn't seem there's a compiled list, and my hope is this will help to narrow it. The bushings listed below were ones promoted as best from multiple people, threads, and info contained here. I Will continue to edit and provide updates from good inputs. FCAB - OE, Turner Monoball RTAB - Dinan, CMP, SDW (Spherical) Engine - OE,

Post # 9

FCAB: OE / Z4M (off centered)
            RTAB: Dinan/Bimmerworld .. anything spherical & sealed
            Engine: OEM
            Trans: OEM / Modified E21 mounts
            Subframe: Solid Bimmerworld / CMP .. both correct geometry
            Camber Arm: BimmerWorld Street & Track / anything sealed
            Diff: Powerflex poly rear position, updated OE front position

My .02. In my opinion, deflection is key. Went down the rabbithole of changing every single bushing in my car to solid/spherical/poly a while ago and I just ended up making the car slower.​
            ‘04 M3

Comment

Parts Shop Max "bushings" can raise the subframe as well. Not exactly a novel feature as it's a fairly common mod across many platforms and many manufacturers make these.

Curious as to why you're installing these if you want deflection.

Comment

The BW bushings also fix the suspension geometry like the CMP bushings. Lowered or not, you will be fine.

Comment

You can always call them, the guys there are super helpful.
                  http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
                  '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
                  '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Probably not, otherwise it would be noted in the description. Also, these were out long before the CMP solid mounts.

Comment

I’m sorry but I don’t understand this:

The BW bushings also fix the suspension geometry like the CMP bushings. Lowered or not, you will be fine.

My understanding is the CMP bushings are effectively “thinner”, thereby raising the whole subframe up and lowering the car without modifying the suspension geometry. I don’t want to lower my car, therefore want bushings that are of stock thickness. I think it’s one or the other, unless like PSM bushings the bushings come with an ability the modify it’s thickness. I don’t see the same modifying capability on the BW ones hence my question.

I will probably just call them at this point … thanks all.
                      ‘04 M3

Comment

My understanding is the CMP bushings are effectively “thinner”, thereby raising the whole subframe up and lowering the car without modifying the suspension geometry. I don’t want to lower my car, therefore want bushings that are of stock thickness. I think it’s one or the other, unless like PSM bushings the bushings come with an ability the modify it’s thickness. I don’t see the same modifying capability on the BW ones hence my question.

From the CMP Web site:

If the car these bushings are fitted to has been lowered ~13mm, (1/2”) or more, you’ll find that the change in rear camber from both is equally opposite and you'll remain roughly in the same range of adjustment as before.

If the car is still at factory ride height, the resulting change in camber geometry limits negative camber adjustment to less than ideal for sporty driving. We'd like to imagine that if you've purchased these subframe bushes this likely isn't your first suspension modification however, if your car is still are factory ride height, adjustable camber arms are required to dial in more negative camber.

To be clear, the need for adjustable camber arms when fitting these bushes only exists when the car is still at stock ride height.

3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

You have it backwards. The CMP bushings raise the subframe (and therefore the pickup points) to correct the geometry after lowering the car.

At stock ride height, let's assume the rear arms are parallel to the ground. If you lower the car, the inside pickup points will be lower than the outside pickup points. The bushings raise the pickup points back up, making them once again parallel to the ground at the lowered ride height. I've overly simplified it, but I believe that's the general idea.
                          '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Bimmerworld’s part disc…”solid subframe mounts to maintain proper geometry in your E46…”

Has anyone spoken with a service rep at Bimmerworld and asked yet?

Comment

I just ordered Turner's bushings for this reason. Planning on keeping stock height as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X