Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quick question - are BW AL subframe bushings designed for stock ride height?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

R4dr I think you and I are saying the same thing (you said it better).
    ‘04 M3

Comment

The geometry really doesn’t change much with or without these correction bushings. I modeled the rear suspension in my build thread, and for handling and response reasons I’d actually go the other way. The roll center in the rear of the e46 is already quite high.

Raising the subframe will also raise the car, not lower it.

In short, I don’t believe there’s any engineering reason or benefit to raising the subframe, even if you’re lowered.

My bimmerworld bushings on the shelf don’t appear to raise the subframe.
      Last edited by Bry5on; 02-25-2024, 09:00 AM.
      ‘02 332iT / 6 | ‘70 Jaguar XJ6 electric conversion

Comment

Originally posted by Bry5on View Post
        Raising the subframe will also raise the car, not lower it.
        This brings up an interesting point, how components other than springs can affect ride height. Can you share that model you made and give a quick explanation for how subframe mounting height relates to ride height?
        http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
        '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
        '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

One thing that needs to be cleared up in this thread and that is people like Maxhouse97 stipulating it will be fine to run CMP bushings whether lowered or not. You will not be fine if not lowered. Your max camber adjustment will suck mightily. See this post https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...080#post126080 where it is noted "Rear camber maxed out at -0.5° with stock springs, stock camber arms and CMP bushings lol." from heinzboehmer

Which is exactly what I laid out from the CMP website in my earlier post above.

See this post from Caine at CMP on his bushings and their effects for more info.

https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...089#post160089
          3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by Nate047 View Post

This brings up an interesting point, how components other than springs can affect ride height. Can you share that model you made and give a quick explanation for how subframe mounting height relates to ride height?
            Think of the upper control arm as a fulcrum with the spring as the pivot of the fulcrum. Because the weight of the car isn’t changing, the height of the compressed spring isn’t changing. So if you pivot the subframe up to the car (around the spring fulcrum), then the wheel must travel away from the car (wheel travels down). Because the wheel can’t travel down (it’s on the ground), this means that the whole chassis travels upward.

More on rear suspension geometry here:
            I've been putting off starting this thread for a long time, and each time I work on the car I wish I had a place to drop updates. I'll start off here and fill in the details as I go along. Background: I grew up working at my father's indy BMW/Mini shop, owned many BMWs, several Porsches and one 50 year old jag that's now

Click image for larger version

Name:	fetch.png
Views:	93
Size:	347.5 KB
ID:	254834
            ‘02 332iT / 6 | ‘70 Jaguar XJ6 electric conversion

Comment

Sorry guys but I’m not doing a good job of communicating here, just to clarify:

”One thing that needs to be cleared up in this thread and that is people like Maxhouse97 stipulating it will be fine to run CMP bushings whether lowered or not.​”

The above is exactly the opposite of what I am saying/asking … I started this thread asking specifically if BW bushings were for lowered cars or not, because I realize you want to match the bushings to your ride height.

Thanks for all the input, love the diagram above, very helpful.
              ‘04 M3

Comment

Think of the upper control arm as a fulcrum with the spring as the pivot of the fulcrum. Because the weight of the car isn’t changing, the height of the compressed spring isn’t changing. So if you pivot the subframe up to the car (around the spring fulcrum), then the wheel must travel away from the car (wheel travels down). Because the wheel can’t travel down (it’s on the ground), this means that the whole chassis travels upward.

More on rear suspension geometry here:
                I've been putting off starting this thread for a long time, and each time I work on the car I wish I had a place to drop updates. I'll start off here and fill in the details as I go along. Background: I grew up working at my father's indy BMW/Mini shop, owned many BMWs, several Porsches and one 50 year old jag that's now

Name:	fetch.png
Views:	93
Size:	347.5 KB
ID:	254834
                Thanks for sharing that, would be interesting to see a side by side in real life.
                http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
                '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
                '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Originally posted by cornerbalanced View Post
                  Bimmerworld’s part disc…”solid subframe mounts to maintain proper geometry in your E46…”

Has anyone spoken with a service rep at Bimmerworld and asked yet?
                  Maybe the confusion is from the wording here. I took this part of the BW description to refer to dyanamic geometry changes from the rubber bushings flexing. Not static geometry changes to account for ride height.
                  '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

BW said these are designed for stock ride height.
                    ‘04 M3

Comment

The geometry really doesn’t change much with or without these correction bushings.
                      That's what my tech said as well. He adjusted my coilovers expecting a large change, and it barely moved. He had to adjust them back.

Name:	IMG_99702.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	254928

2004 Dinan S3-R M3
                      2012 Dinan S1 X5M

Comment

Working...
                      X