Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Door Insulation Adhesive

Hi All,

My car's door insulation came off from few places and wanted to repair it. I have read few things people are using and 3M weather adhesive is one of them, the problem is, it is permanent.
    I have read the OEM stuff used was butyl rubber, I found few of them that suppose to be what BMW uses, do any one has any experience with them ?

3M Butyl Tape
    3M Butyl Caulk (E39 members mentioned this is what BMW uses)
    3M Window-Weld

Thanks in advance.

This is what I used for the vapor barrier.

You could probably even knead the old butyl stuff to make it work again, but it's so cheap why not just use some fresh stuff.
    /// 2004 SGM/IR - Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by ugaexploder View Post
      This is what I used for the vapor barrier.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

You could probably even knead the old butyl stuff to make it work again, but it's so cheap why not just use some fresh stuff.
      Thanks for your reply. Last time I used some random speaker butyl and it did not hold, so wanted to use something which BMW is using. Maybe I did not remove the old one and just put on top of old stuff was the reason.
      I guess just buy one of them, clean everything and apply fresh.

EDIT: Looks like, first and last link are the same stuff as part number is same. Will buy the amazon one and see how it goes.
      Last edited by bullet0770; 03-04-2024, 06:25 AM.

Comment

I would try it out, I think you'll be pleased with the product. Definitely try to remove the old stuff as much as possible.

Also just a FYI, but you can actually use pieces of butyl to remove the old butyl stuff. Just grab a nice little blob and apply pressure on the areas where it's not coming off so easy.

In retrospect, I should have probably replaced all of the old butyl tape, but I only applied new tape to areas that weren't sticking anymore.

Click image for larger version

Name:	vapor barrier peeled.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	256019
        /// 2004 SGM/IR - Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by ugaexploder View Post
          I would try it out, I think you'll be pleased with the product. Definitely try to remove the old stuff as much as possible.

Also just a FYI, but you can actually use pieces of butyl to remove the old butyl stuff. Just grab a nice little blob and apply pressure on the areas where it's not coming off so easy.

In retrospect, I should have probably replaced all of the old butyl tape, but I only applied new tape to areas that weren't sticking anymore.
          Awesome Thanks.

Comment

I went to Home Depot and got some butyl rubber strip. It is grey but very similar to the original stuff and has been working fine.

I recall there being a distinction - you don't want "putty", you want the tacky/rubber/stretchy stuff that will stick.

Comment

Originally posted by bullet0770 View Post

Thanks for your reply. Last time I used some random speaker butyl and it did not hold, so wanted to use something which BMW is using. Maybe I did not remove the old one and just put on top of old stuff was the reason.
              I guess just buy one of them, clean everything and apply fresh.

EDIT: Looks like, first and last link are the same stuff as part number is same. Will buy the amazon one and see how it goes.
              Doesn't butyl need to be heated for it to become tacky?

Comment

Hi All,

My car's door insulation came off from few places and wanted to repair it. I have read few things people are using and 3M weather adhesive is one of them, the problem is, it is permanent.
                I have read the OEM stuff used was butyl rubber, I found few of them that suppose to be what BMW uses, do any one has any experience with them ?

3M Butyl Tape
                3M Butyl Caulk (E39 members mentioned this is what BMW uses)
                3M Window-Weld

Thanks in advance.
                I've been using the strip caulk for years in similar applications. I haven't yet had the door apart on my M3 (and the door lock actuator is beckoning), but I'll bet that it's what is in there. I wouldn't use an adhesive like the window weld. If the tape is butyl and can be worked like the strip caulk it's probably fine. The post above about how you could probably knead the stock stuff and reuse it is correct, so long as it's not too contaminated with dirt.

The downside to buying a box of strip caulk is that it's way way more than you'll need for the door.

Comment

Hi All,

My car's door insulation came off from few places and wanted to repair it.
                  If you had leaking water on the floor from the recent Atmospheric River in California, then here is a quick temporary fix -- needs only 1 minute per door:
                  open the door and place a plastic sheet (L x W where L = the length of door and W = 5") along the door sill and between the sill and the door card, then hold the sheet up by taping the sheet upper edge to the door card at 3 places. When the door is closed, it wedges the sheet in place and the water drops will be directed to the exterior and not on the floor.

Comment

BMW part number for butyl / ribbon sealer is 83195A1B479.
                    '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Gray 332iT (SOLD), '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT
                    Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
                    Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Comment

Originally posted by cobra View Post
                      I went to Home Depot and got some butyl rubber strip. It is grey but very similar to the original stuff and has been working fine.

I recall there being a distinction - you don't want "putty", you want the tacky/rubber/stretchy stuff that will stick.
                      Thanks for your reply, The same stuff on FCPEuro has suggestion to buy insulation panel (pic attached).

Originally posted by Slideways View Post
                      Doesn't butyl need to be heated for it to become tacky?
                      Technically warm up with hands is what they say would work but I installed with heat gun last time. The problem is the old one is all brittle and dried up.

Originally posted by Chris442 View Post
                      I've been using the strip caulk for years in similar applications. I haven't yet had the door apart on my M3 (and the door lock actuator is beckoning), but I'll bet that it's what is in there. I wouldn't use an adhesive like the window weld. If the tape is butyl and can be worked like the strip caulk it's probably fine. The post above about how you could probably knead the stock stuff and reuse it is correct, so long as it's not too contaminated with dirt.

The downside to buying a box of strip caulk is that it's way way more than you'll need for the door.
                      Same part from 3M is mentioned as Butyl Tape - 3M 08611​ on FCP euro? Is it a different part ? says 3M 08611. FCPeuro sells for tail light window seal and has recommended product (door insulation) with it.

Originally posted by sapote View Post
                      If you had leaking water on the floor from the recent Atmospheric River in California, then here is a quick temporary fix -- needs only 1 minute per door:
                      open the door and place a plastic sheet (L x W where L = the length of door and W = 5") along the door sill and between the sill and the door card, then hold the sheet up by taping the sheet upper edge to the door card at 3 places. When the door is closed, it wedges the sheet in place and the water drops will be directed to the exterior and not on the floor.

no leaks just want to make sure I fix it before I install the door back.

Originally posted by George Hill View Post
                      BMW part number for butyl / ribbon sealer is 83195A1B479.
                      I looked at it and it is only 4mm thick, which is not enough for the door and maybe not the right part ? I feel all the butyl parts are same just different dimensions for different applications.
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	42.0 KB ID:	256322
                      Last edited by bullet0770; 03-05-2024, 09:46 AM.

Comment

I looked at it and it is only 4mm thick...
                        🤷‍♂️

'00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Gray 332iT (SOLD), '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT

Comment

Originally posted by George Hill View Post

🤷‍♂️

my bad, I got confused with this one.

Comment

That's the butyl for the hard top convertible roof shells, it is flat vs being round like the one I noted.

Comment

I used a VAG product from FCP successfully...

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/aud...di-akl45000505

My local BMW dealer, attached to a VW dealer, had given me some of this for free and it worked; so I ordered a roll.

EDIT: Checked my box and according to the label, this is 5mm diameter and 5m long roll.
                              Last edited by PSUEng; 03-05-2024, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X