Engine noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine noise

Started up the car this morning, heard something broke in the engine. Engine started making a scraping noise. I shut the car off right away. I took off the valve cover to find this , also the timing chain guide is broken, and the sprocket some of the edges is sheered off. Now I gotta figure out how to fix this. Or if anyone knows a good shop in the NYC area, I could take it too.

Didn't you rebuild the VANOS recently? - https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...738-vanos-time

I see the stock oil pump disc. A redrilled pump disc is a must along with a new upper chain guide during a rebuild. You'll need another valve cover, possibly exhaust sprocket or exhaust hub, and complete VANOS unit as one of the oil pump pistons has damaged that VANOS unit. Are the two tabs on the exhaust hub still intact?
    Last edited by Slideways; 03-04-2024, 08:52 AM.

Comment

I bought a rebuilt unit , I bought from a member on the old forum. The exhaust tabs are still intact.

Comment

Originally posted by M3powerzz View Post
        I bought a rebuilt unit , I bought from a member on the old forum. The exhaust tabs are still intact.
        It has the stock oil pump disc. A rebuild would consist of a redrilled oil pump disc as it is a critical upgrade.

Comment

I will get that when I fix it, vanos from besian

Comment

Started up the car this morning, heard something broke in the engine. Engine started making a scraping noise. I shut the car off right away. I took off the valve cover to find this , also the timing chain guide is broken, and the sprocket some of the edges is sheered off.
            It seems the pump disk roller bearing seized up and self destroyed, then pushed the circlip one end off the groove, and all of the rollers (or pins) from the bearing fell down the oil pan (I would also check if any jumped in the cams/valves area). Some of the components fell on the moving chain and jammed on the sprocket. Hope the chain didn't jump over the sprocket to cause out of timing and bent valves.

I only see one piston/spring of the pump, and where are the remain 3 pistons/spring?

with the pump pistons out of the disk, this means the pump disk is destroyed as the holes are enlarged.

Last edited by sapote; 03-04-2024, 10:47 PM.

Comment

Please post the close up pics of the pump disk pistons as they will tell the root cause of the problem: seized bearing or circlip popped out.

Comment

I had a S54 engine that had exact same problem happened and 11 valves were bent cause timing chain broke.
                2001 BMW E46 M3 Laguna Seca / M-Texture 6mt
                2006 BMW E46 M3 Individual Estoril blue/Black 6mt
                2019 BMW X3 M40i Phytonic blue/Tartufo Individual

Comment

Here is a close up of the damage.

Comment

Well today I went and changed the upper chain guide, while putting back the timing chain tensioner, I crossed threaded the hole, what would be a good fix for this? It's a really tight spot.

Comment

Well today I went and changed the upper chain guide, while putting back the timing chain tensioner, I crossed threaded the hole, what would be a good fix for this? It's a really tight spot.
                      Cross threaded - how far did you thread it in? If not too far in then use a thread tap tool to chase/clean the threads. I always tighten it by fingers a few turns before using a wrench.

Did you find all parts debris in the oil pan and in the head?

Comment

It went about half way since it started getting tight, yeah I found some metal pieces from the vanos , in the head it was all bunched up by the upper chain guide. I used a magnet to get what I can. I didn't drop the oil pan as yet. You know what size tap I need?

Comment

What torque setting did you use for that bolt? I noticed a while ago that TIS instructions stated 13 Nm.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screen Shot 2024-03-13 at 3.46.21 PM.png Views:	0 Size:	205.8 KB ID:	257388

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post
                            What torque setting did you use for that bolt? I noticed a while ago that TIS instructions stated 13 Nm.

Click image for larger version Name:	Screen Shot 2024-03-13 at 3.46.21 PM.png Views:	0 Size:	205.8 KB ID:	257388
                            I believe he was talking about the big bolt/cap chain tensioner above the AC compressor.

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post

I believe he was talking about the big bolt/cap chain tensioner above the AC compressor.
                              Ah, misread that.

A friend of mine had to do the chain tensioner thread repair on his S54. Dan, in the Pacific section, ordered the tools and did the repair, but he no longer works on cars. I'm guessing OP can get one of those thread gauges and order a tap or chaser to fix the threads.

Comment

Working...
                              X