Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For those with tinted windows, how did the installer handle the rear windshield?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For those with tinted windows, how did the installer handle the rear windshield?

Got the tint redone on my car, and noticed they avoided the rear window upper dot matrix. I got very light tint, so it's hardly noticeable, but irks me a bit as an incomplete job.

I know this poses a challenge for installers, but I'm wondering how others who actually got darker tint, how does it look over the dot matrix on the upper rear section?

So my rear windshield tint is peeling at the bottom so I was going to take mine back to the installer to see if it would be covered under the workmanship warranty. I'm still going to replace it regardless but I've done some reading on this subject.

Most seem to do nothing and due to the nature of those little bumps and the type of tint used, the tint is not going to stick well in some areas and it's going to look just okay.

Some talk about sanding down with a fine grit (400) to lower the bumps. Some put a layer of vinyl there to cover the bumps, almost like a banner.

I've also read somewhere that you can use Elmer's Washable Gel School Glue Sticks to rub on the edges where the dot matrix bumps are, and then apply the tint. I think the trouble here is making sure not to put too much glue because it will make cleanup worse. I've read a few tint shops who do this and it's their secret to minimize the amount of work needed by sanding, or making it look odd with the vinyl banner. I'm going to ask my installer to go with this glue route see what he says.

/// 2004 SGM/IR - Build Thread

Comment

My shop went over the bumps when I had it done years ago. It looks “okay”, good enough that I don’t really care. It won’t be perfect though without tricks that I’d rather they didn’t do. Don’t want any extra glue or sanding done on my glass.

My tint is now peeling at the bottom as well ever since the glass came out and was reinstalled for my carbon roof. Thinking about just having the tint removed altogether.

Comment

A good installer will sand down the dot matrix, clean it off, and then tint over it.

Comment

Mine used a thin layer of Elmer's clear drying glue it had no issues.

Comment

would like to see some pics if any of you have.

here's what my installer did. quite noticeable from the inside, not so much from the outside but still...plan on taking it back and discussing options.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7097.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	256990

Comment

I would have them re-do it covering the matrix. You'll see those matrix with or without the tint...so I would rather see the even tint across the window with those matrix covered by the tint.

Comment

Unfortunately I can't share a photo my rear window is Poly now. But I do remember is dried clear and helped the film form and sit better to the glass. bavarian3. I'm happy share where I got done if you're near central California.

Comment

Working...
                X