SMG Error 59: Help needed!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oceansize View Post

With regards to the new slave from FCP, when you received it could you press the rod into the cylinder? You shouldn't have been able to as there is some kind of one time use clip that keeps the rod from moving which helps during installation. Just curious if what you received was possibly somebody else's returned part and this is one way to tell.

As far as something being wrong during re-assembly that is certainly possible, but unfortunately I don't how we would diagnose that short of you taking stuff apart.

Compression spring problems typically come into play under medium to high RPM, so while possible I suppose, I highly doubt it.
    Understood.
    Well I bought another slave from FCP and will pick it up this afternoon (they are 5 min from my house). I didn't check that the last time, as I didn't know about this one-time clip. If I press in this new one, won't it mess up the clip and now had slop to the rod?

So it's either this new slave fixes the issue, or start pulling the tranny again?​

Comment

Originally posted by x Spades x View Post

Understood.
      Well I bought another slave from FCP and will pick it up this afternoon (they are 5 min from my house). I didn't check that the last time, as I didn't know about this one-time clip. If I press in this new one, won't it mess up the clip and now had slop to the rod?

So it's either this new slave fixes the issue, or start pulling the tranny again?​
      Don't press in the rod too hard (just slight pressure to make sure it doesn't move/wobble, but really it is easy to tell because new the rod is self-centered), the one time clip breaks the first time it is used. Because the rod is held in place when new it is easier to align during installation.
      Last edited by oceansize; 03-29-2024, 07:47 AM.
      3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Don't press in the rod too hard (just slight pressure to make sure it doesn't move/wobble, but really it is easy to tell because new the rod is self-centered), the one time clip breaks the first time it is used. Because the rod is held in place when new it is easier to align during installation.
        Gotcha.
        OK, I will tryin it out tonight.
        If that doesn't fix the issue, are we saying it has to do with the installation (Clutch,fork, etc)?
        I figure those would be ok since the car goes into 1-4, 6, R (missing 5), which would mean the clutch is functioning correctly... but again I'm lost.

Also, is it normal to keep hearing air sounds coming out of the Actuator, during the bleed test... after 70 bleeds? I figured that sounds would be done a long time ago, no?
        Last edited by x Spades x; 03-29-2024, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Gotcha.
          OK, I will tryin it out tonight.
          If that doesn't fix the issue, are we saying it has to do with the installation (Clutch,fork, etc)?
          I figure those would be ok since the car goes into 1-4, 6, R (missing 5), which would mean the clutch is functioning correctly... but again I'm lost.

Also, is it normal to keep hearing air sounds coming out of the Actuator, during the bleed test... after 70 bleeds? I figured that sounds would be done a long time ago, no?
          Interesting about the air... I had a similar scenario when i had too much air in the system, what i realized was the the pump didnt have enough oil within its reservoir (essentially the black cover where the red snap ring goes) - You have to make sure this reservoir is full (up to the snap ring) before connecting the expansion tank.

If not, i would lean into saying something is mechanically wrong with the clutch installed.

Also, just because it goes in gear it does not mean that the clutch is working properly/installed properly. The actuator is essentially the shift rod, which in any manual transmission, given that the engine is off, you can select any gear you want without engaging the clutch. Same with SMG.

Hope this helps...

Comment

Originally posted by Irhase46m3 View Post

Interesting about the air... I had a similar scenario when i had too much air in the system, what i realized was the the pump didnt have enough oil within its reservoir (essentially the black cover where the red snap ring goes) - You have to make sure this reservoir is full (up to the snap ring) before connecting the expansion tank.

If not, i would lean into saying something is mechanically wrong with the clutch installed.

Also, just because it goes in gear it does not mean that the clutch is working properly/installed properly. The actuator is essentially the shift rod, which in any manual transmission, given that the engine is off, you can select any gear you want without engaging the clutch. Same with SMG.

Hope this helps...

So I installed the brand new slave from FCP Euro (confirmed its new with one time clip, etc), and still the same exact issue.

Error 59... slave plugged in and the car doesn't go into any gear. Unplug slave and i get every gear BUT 5th. Failing the first smg bleed test (Actuator).

I dont know what else to check at this point.

New Slave, 4 GPS, 2 different smg pump units. :-(

Comment

Error 59... slave plugged in and the car doesn't go into any gear. Unplug slave and i get every gear BUT 5th.
              Engine was off? I don't see how the gear was shifted without grinding noise wiht engine running and slave position sensor unplugged.

Comment

At this point I can't help but feel something in the clutch installation has gone awry. You are far from the only one to hit this issue (repeated 59 error code). Once a new slave has been installed and the problem remains it seems to usually be clutch related. This assumes your pump is holding pressure and all else appears normal.

This was someone else who had the issue and resolved it by manual swap. You might consider a swap if upon disassembly you still can't see a problem or find resolution, there is an appropriate time for that action.

Hi All, I have a 2002 M3 with 141K that has the SMG gearbox. I've recently been having some weird issues that I'm hoping someone here might have encountered. One day I got to work and left my car in neutral, and when I went back to move it; it wouldn't go into gear. I tried to restart the car and it wouldn't even start up. A

3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post

Engine was off? I don't see how the gear was shifted without grinding noise wiht engine running and slave position sensor unplugged.
                  Engine off, key in 2nd position. Changing gears through INPA

Comment

At this point I can't help but feel something in the clutch installation has gone awry. You are far from the only one to hit this issue (repeated 59 error code). Once a new slave has been installed and the problem remains it seems to usually be clutch related. This assumes your pump is holding pressure and all else appears normal.

This was someone else who had the issue and resolved it by manual swap. You might consider a swap if upon disassembly you still can't see a problem or find resolution, there is an appropriate time for that action.

Hi All, I have a 2002 M3 with 141K that has the SMG gearbox. I've recently been having some weird issues that I'm hoping someone here might have encountered. One day I got to work and left my car in neutral, and when I went back to move it; it wouldn't go into gear. I tried to restart the car and it wouldn't even start up. A
                    I'm trying to hold ooooon to the smg, lol. Ill disassemble and check the clutch and pressure plate. Can these be installed wrong? I didn't think that was possible.

Also, can the actuator (what the GPS plugs into) go bad?

When I seperate the trans, are there any particular cords that I can look out for (damaged or unplugged)?

Comment

I'm trying to hold ooooon to the smg, lol. Ill disassemble and check the clutch and pressure plate. Can these be installed wrong? I didn't think that was possible.

Also, can the actuator (what the GPS plugs into) go bad?

When I seperate the trans, are there any particular cords that I can look out for (damaged or unplugged)?
                      No wiring harnesses to inspect other than the obvious ones.

Good non-smg video to watch, just as refererence.
                      ►The clutch on any car is a critically important piece that can cripple a vehicle's ability to drive instantly. High-performance cars are especially suscepti...

My clutch/PP haven't required replacement yet so I can't comment personally on the install, when it does I'll be diying it.

However, this thread seems to speak to your issue:

https://www.e46fanatics.com/threads/nightmares-with-smg-after-changing-clutch-help.1305714/?post_id=19053687

From that thread.

I reset the pressure plate put it all back together, but it was only doable with that bracket that came installed on the pressure plate. I had to install the bracket and then pull back the plastic clip springs and squeeze the pressure plate and it popped flush. After putting everything back together I tried bleeding, it failed, I tried shifting no luck. It was glitched, so I reset the clutch curve and did the clutch teach and followed through with the Bleed and adaptation and now it shifts great. All these codes and issues were due to the pressure plate being installed in the expanded position

I notice sapote was in that thread as well. Sapote, can you comment further on the PP issue referenced above?
                      Last edited by oceansize; 04-04-2024, 05:18 AM.

Comment

Did you remove the plate that is supposed to lock the clutch self-adjustment ring in position while being installed? That's kinda what this issue sounds like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Last edited by SliM3; 04-05-2024, 04:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SliM3 View Post
                          Did you remove the plate that is supposed to lock the clutch self-adjustment ring in position while being installed? That's kinda what this issue sounds like.

i would hope that if that happened, someone would have realized it when they cant get the transmission back on because the input shaft cant get thru the plate into the splines of the clutch lol

Comment

Originally posted by nextelbuddy View Post

i would hope that if that happened, someone would have realized it when they cant get the transmission back on because the input shaft cant get thru the plate into the splines of the clutch lol
                            I accidentally removed that plate a while back when I first got this car, trying to install a new clutch. I got the disc aligned using the alignment tool, pressure plate torqued and transmission back on. Then tried to run all the SMG tests in GTI and that was no bueno.

I had to take everything back off and rotate + hold the adjustment ring in the pressure plate with a screwdriver all while having the diaphragm spring fully compressed using a gear puller and bolt it all back to the flywheel.

Hard lesson to learn!

Comment

Ok update...

I pulled the transmission and will be replacing the fork and pivot while im in here. Im uninstslling and reinstalling the clutch,, pressure plate,, amd flywheel (flywheel is from my old engine, clutch and pressure plate are brand new 0 miles).

Do I need to reset the pressure plate or is that ok because both it and the clutch are brand new?

Also, is there a reset for the flywheel?

Comment

Ok update...

I Do I need to reset the pressure plate or is that ok because both it and the clutch are brand new?
                                Flywheel has no adjustment.
                                reset the PP.

Comment

Working...
                                X