BC Racing or KW coilovers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HDdave View Post
    I will say at high speed you need to be very careful of bumps.
    Oof. Case in point.

This isn't just sub-optimal. It's dangerous. And to the earlier point about why having good suspension matters on the street, this is a prime example. It’s a much worse problem on the street than at the track: more bumps, oncoming traffic, no runoff, more people and property to hit, etc.

A major reason big brand coilovers cost so much more is that those manufacturers generally won't let a product out the door unless they can be reasonably sure something like this won't happen (assuming correct install and reasonable setup). That takes real development resources. Unfortunately, the fruits of that kind of development work are basically invisible on a spec sheet, which is why brands like BC can look like they offer "all the features" of a higher-dollar set for a fraction of the price.
    Last edited by IamFODI; 05-29-2020, 07:20 PM.
    2008 M3 Sedan 6MT
    Slicktop, no iDrive | Öhlins by 3DM Motorsport | Autosolutions | SPL

2012 Mazda5 6MT
    Koni Special Active, Volvo parts

Comment

Originally posted by IamFODI View Post
      Oof. Case in point.

This isn't just sub-optimal. It's dangerous. And to the earlier point about why having good suspension matters on the street, this is a prime example. It’s a much worse problem on the street than at the track: more bumps, oncoming traffic, no runoff, more people and property to hit, etc.

A major reason big brand coilovers cost so much more is that those manufacturers generally won't let a product out the door unless they can be reasonably sure something like this won't happen (assuming correct install and reasonable setup). That takes real development resources. Unfortunately, the fruits of that kind of development work are basically invisible on a spec sheet, which is why brands like BC can look like they offer "all the features" of a higher-dollar set for a fraction of the price.
      Yeah I had to experience that first hand to believe it, but I realize the importance of quality suspension on a high performance car like this.. I don’t drive like a maniac to often, and when I do- its on roads I know well. I am happy with the looks of the car for now and my stock suspension was blown. Like i mentioned- I will be upgrading within the year. Overall they’re alright.

Comment

Originally posted by Mainman857 View Post
        Ordered thru Turner motorsports. There comming in tommorrow.
        car Is a 06 zcp package SMG Coupe.
        Am I going to need camber plates.
        very new to mods and this platform.
        Any updates and initial feedback on your Ohlins? Looking forward to your thoughts!

Comment

Have about 200 miles on them. My first coilover ever
          Ride quality is about the same. Havent pushed the car yet but it Does feel a bit flatter in the turns. I'd buy again but i would like to compare to a lower priced coilover. eEveything fit and went together in about 4 hours.
          Next weekend hopeing to go and have some fun with the car.

Comment

Okay I've had both on my 2005 E46 M3. The KW were my first and they were fine. I did quite a bit of track work with them including Sebring. They were okay in the Street.

I sold those and was going to put TC Kline in my car, and some guys talked me out of it....and in to BC racing. I had BC racing in my Lexus SC300 and I liked them.

okay this may be long but I'll tell you what you want to know. Here's the good about BC racing. They are very very comfortable on the street. If you decide to go with them, pay the extra money to get Swift Springs.

here is the bad. The camber plates do not have Caster adjustment. I dearly missed not having adjustable Caster. That is a must for me. Also, at triple-digit speeds the BCs did not give me a lot of confidence. At all. Fine below 120.

currently I have TC Kline single adjustable front with 450 lb Swift Springs and 650 lbTC Kline Springs and his dampeners in the back. Still turning the car with rebound but pretty happy.

TCK camber plates have adjustable caster which really makes a big difference. You do the Caster adjustment yourself you just give both sides full caster and forget about it. It's a mono ball set up but I'm good with it so far. I think I recommend these. I'm still fiddling with them.

if you go the KW route I suggest hybrid plates from Turner Motorsports. Back in 2008 I used Turner Motorsports rubber mount Caster camber plates. Now they have a hybrid caster/camber plate. Obioban recommend's them. Not cheap. It adds to your costs. But that's the way to go for sure.

Mono ball spherical joint Caster camber plates will cost you less. Many say it's better to go with Turner Motorsports Hybrid plates if you do a lot of time in the street.

those plates are made in batches and you need to order the exact correct one. You need to talk with Doug either by chat or by phone. He's the guy that will go out of his way to help you. I buy more from Turner Motorsports than any other place I think.

if you decide to go with TC Kline let me know and I'll help you with the installation. Instructions are basically non-existent.

are you near Florida? I have I barely use set of KW for cheap. I think I got less than 10000 miles on them. I'm not boxing them up and shipping them anywhere. Pick up only. Fort Lauderdale Miami area.
            I even have the original box it came in I think. All the wrenches. Nothing's missing.

if you want to get into coilovers dirt cheap this is the way to go and then you're going to want to graduate to a better set eventually.

Comment

I vote Ohlins R&T - but MSRP is a bit tight on them @ $2570 but a great system!

Comment

Originally posted by BigDave View Post
                Okay I've had both on my 2005 E46 M3. The KW were my first and they were fine. I did quite a bit of track work with them including Sebring. They were okay in the Street.

I sold those and was going to put TC Kline in my car, and some guys talked me out of it....and in to BC racing. I had BC racing in my Lexus SC300 and I liked them.

okay this may be long but I'll tell you what you want to know. Here's the good about BC racing. They are very very comfortable on the street. If you decide to go with them, pay the extra money to get Swift Springs.

here is the bad. The camber plates do not have Caster adjustment. I dearly missed not having adjustable Caster. That is a must for me. Also, at triple-digit speeds the BCs did not give me a lot of confidence. At all. Fine below 120.

currently I have TC Kline single adjustable front with 450 lb Swift Springs and 650 lbTC Kline Springs and his dampeners in the back. Still turning the car with rebound but pretty happy.

TCK camber plates have adjustable caster which really makes a big difference. You do the Caster adjustment yourself you just give both sides full caster and forget about it. It's a mono ball set up but I'm good with it so far. I think I recommend these. I'm still fiddling with them.

if you go the KW route I suggest hybrid plates from Turner Motorsports. Back in 2008 I used Turner Motorsports rubber mount Caster camber plates. Now they have a hybrid caster/camber plate. Obioban recommend's them. Not cheap. It adds to your costs. But that's the way to go for sure.

Mono ball spherical joint Caster camber plates will cost you less. Many say it's better to go with Turner Motorsports Hybrid plates if you do a lot of time in the street.

those plates are made in batches and you need to order the exact correct one. You need to talk with Doug either by chat or by phone. He's the guy that will go out of his way to help you. I buy more from Turner Motorsports than any other place I think.

if you decide to go with TC Kline let me know and I'll help you with the installation. Instructions are basically non-existent.

are you near Florida? I have I barely use set of KW for cheap. I think I got less than 10000 miles on them. I'm not boxing them up and shipping them anywhere. Pick up only. Fort Lauderdale Miami area.
                I even have the original box it came in I think. All the wrenches. Nothing's missing.

if you want to get into coilovers dirt cheap this is the way to go and then you're going to want to graduate to a better set eventually.
                thanks for the info and the great offer. 1. I already picked up a ser of ohlins and 2 I do not live in Florida. 1 day hopefully #phinsup.

Comment

Originally posted by GAM3_OVR View Post
                  I vote Ohlins R&T - but MSRP is a bit tight on them @ $2570 but a great system!
                  That's what I ended up going with. So far so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

Get some Dinan springs and Koni yellows. Half of your target budget and a better result than the options you’re considering.
                    Or Bilstein B12 Pro kit for that matter. Should be less than $1K and much better ride.
                    BMW / E46M Interior & Trim Restoration.
                    https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/c...ch-restoration

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post
                      I think you will find just about everyone here will a say KWs over BCs, I've got the BC br series that the previous owner installed and love the ride/handling, however its a bit of a moot point because I have never riden in another E46 M3 besides mine.
                      I have BC BRs on my E39 M5. They are ok, especially for a heavier car. I like the adjustability and the fact that it comes with everything needed (well, sans the extenders) in the box. And you can't really be upset about the price. They are not bad overall, but you can do better for not a lot more $$.
                      BMW / E46M Interior & Trim Restoration.
                      https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/c...ch-restoration

Comment

Working...
                      X