Current price of M3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Current price of M3

Looking to see what a current price of my M3 would be if I sold it? It’s currently at 99k an original 2001 6 speed manuel, Clean title, nothing on carfax. Jet black with a black leather interior however whole engine was fully rebuild with all new internals by my local BMW dealer about 1500 miles ago. All documented. From the forged crank to the rods and fully rebuild head. The interior was also replaced with a lower milage one, as well as the original 19” wheels were fully refurbished. Few pictures below.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0952.jpg Views:	0 Size:	202.0 KB ID:	262321 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0951.jpg Views:	0 Size:	227.3 KB ID:	262322
    Last edited by GreyM340i; 04-22-2024, 09:52 PM.

Shoot for high 20’s assuming no rust

Comment

The interior replace and complete engine rebuild will scare off a lot of people. But yeah, start high. It's still a very desirable car and becoming harder to find a clean one.

Comment

I might be in the minority, but I'd say its about $20k car. Miles, engine rebuild, interior swap - all won't add to the value. 6-speed is desirable and so is black to some people, but its a pre-LCI with TLC required.
        BMW / E46M Interior & Trim Restoration.
        https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/c...ch-restoration

Comment

Originally posted by cobra View Post
          The interior replace and complete engine rebuild will scare off a lot of people. But yeah, start high. It's still a very desirable car and becoming harder to find a clean one.
          Thanks for the feedback. I figured someone looking to buy one would like to know the motor is basically brand new and still under warranty. As for the interior it’s the same exact interior to what I had however this one is in way better shape. Mine had sun damage.

Comment

Originally posted by TexaZ3 View Post
            I might be in the minority, but I'd say its about $20k car. Miles, engine rebuild, interior swap - all won't add to the value. 6-speed is desirable and so is black to some people, but its a pre-LCI with TLC required.
            I would never let this car go for $20k. I would just keep it until I really get bored of it. I was thinking minimum $25k to upper $20’s to the right person.

Comment

This is definitely a tough one to evaluate. Has to go to the right person because personally I wouldn't buy a pre-LCI coupe (and others feel this way, just as some would never own a vert). Engine rebuild, ugh... I remember your thread. Good news is you've gone 1500 miles with no issues (I assume). Bad new is, well, it was rebuilt and rebuilt by a dealer (not that there aren't some really good dealer techs). I guess to get what you want it will come done to how well the car presents in person. If the paint an interior really pop you could do fine. The other bad news is prices have definitely deflated to a degree for all but the most desirable of E46 M3s. So ask for what you want and move on.
              3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

I’ll be listing a bone stock (sans OEM ZCP wheels) factory 6MT 04 Silver Grey on Black car with 105k miles in fantastic condition in the near future and plan to list for high 20s if that helps you gauge.

Clean, well sorted examples are becoming harder and harder to find and the platform is still growing in popularity. I expect values to continue to rise as more people discover the incredible value of E46 M3s.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the honest feedback. Not selling yet however will be thinking about it in the near future. Was thinking to sell and move into something different. M2 Comp or C6 ZO6 are my two current top picks. Wanted a 997 however currently the prices are horrible for what you get.

Comment

As some others have said, the fact that the engine was rebuilt will work against you, not for you. Many rebuilt engines don't last long because no mechanic can do what the factory tooling can in terms of precision and accuracy of machining, etc. I'd rather take a 150K mile engine with a good crankshaft and compression than a rebuilt one with 0 miles. I even prefer an engine with original (BMW installed) rod bearings rather than some aftermarket shop (unless known and reputable) having replaced them - you never know the quality and if they torqued things properly which is critical. With all of that said, it's possible that your rebuilt engine will last a decent amount, especially if not abused. But the fact that it was rebuilt is definitely a risk factor for any potential buyers and you need to consider that rather than thinking it's a plus.

Also interior having to be replaced at 100K miles is not exactly a plus. There are many E46 cars with original 100K mile interiors looking VERY clean with minimal wear. Interior needing replacement at 100K miles is obviously another flag in terms of how the car was treated.

With all of that said, the car might drive and present really well and someone out there will fall in love and perhaps not care or be aware of the above issues. Every car has its buyer and any E46 M3 6MT coupe is a desirable machine.
                    Last edited by PetrolM3; 04-23-2024, 07:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PetrolM3 View Post
                      As some others have said, the fact that the engine was rebuilt will work against you, not for you. Many rebuilt engines don't last long because no mechanic can do what the factory tooling can in terms of precision and accuracy of machining, etc. I'd rather take a 150K mile engine with a good crankshaft and compression than a rebuilt one with 0 miles. I even prefer an engine with original (BMW installed) rod bearings rather than some aftermarket shop (unless known and reputable) having replaced them - you never know the quality and if they torqued things properly which is critical. With all of that said, it's possible that your rebuilt engine will last a decent amount, especially if not abused. But the fact that it was rebuilt is definitely a risk factor for any potential buyers and you need to consider that rather than thinking it's a plus.

Also interior having to be replaced at 100K miles is not exactly a plus. There are many E46 cars with original 100K mile interiors looking VERY clean with minimal wear. Interior needing replacement at 100K miles is obviously another flag in terms of how the car was treated.

With all of that said, the car might drive and present really well and someone out there will fall in love and perhaps not care or be aware of the above issues. Every car has its buyer and any E46 M3 6MT coupe is a desirable machine.
                      Engine rebuilds are one of those things...
                      If it's me doing it, I know how meticulous I am and will do it as good or better than factory even if it takes 3 months. But people don't know that, they will assume the worst that it was done by an inexperienced person. Even at a dealership or shop, they could have stuck their apprentice on it and it's just as bad.

Comment

This is one of the highest signal to noise threads I've read in a while. GreyM340i I think you're in the right ballpark at $25k given the puts and takes. IIRC correctly you've also already upgraded the stereo. What you've done will appeal to the right buyer but it may take a while. Stick a sign in the window and see what you get. I wouldn't be surprised if someone near you has watched you with the car and is interested.

GL

maw

Comment

There's currently an 04 listed at your mileage, on this site, so whatever he gets, expect less.

Comment

Originally posted by fattycharged View Post
                            There's currently an 04 listed at your mileage, on this site, so whatever he gets, expect less.
                            Yeah I saw that one. It’s a 6 speed swap so I know some people also look at that as a negative. Like others have said it’s about finding the right buyer. I’m sure when it’s time for me to sell it will get the mid to upper $20’s.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyM340i View Post

Yeah I saw that one. It’s a 6 speed swap so I know some people also look at that as a negative. Like others have said it’s about finding the right buyer. I’m sure when it’s time for me to sell it will get the mid to upper $20’s.
                              Incomplete/incompetent 6spd swaps tend to be a negative, I agree, but I'd never turn my nose up at one done properly, it's likely in better shape at 100k than a factory 6spd.

Easiest decision for you, just keep it and then you dont need to worry about valuation

Comment

Working...
                              X