Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upgraded amp and 6x9's in the HK 'sub' housing - I did it, it's meh.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgraded amp and 6x9's in the HK 'sub' housing - I did it, it's meh.

I know there's quite a bit of info on this topic already but not a lot of actual reviews. I know the location and size of these 'subs' isn't ideal, but I'm a nut for OEM+ so I thought I'd try.

I used this amp: JBL 2 Channel Class D Amp

This LOC which is nice because it has the amp signal wire on it: Kicker LOC

I used the CDT CL-69S woofers, in hind sight I should ordered the ES-690CFS or HD-690BE SUB Pair because the point in the middle of the CL-69S hit this little pin in the plastic housing which maybe was to prevent the felt from flapping or something? I cut the pin off. I did try using the stock HK amp to drive the CDT woofers and they barely moved, that amp is sized for the very low power HK woofers.

Here's all their options for 6x9 woofers.

THE REVIEW:

Quality:

The LOC and Amp are great. The amp is compact, affordable, and has separate hi/low adjustments, gain, etc. The CDT 6x9's are also great quality, no complaints there.

Sound:

The overall bass is much better, the issue is that it's an awful location that wasn't designed for bass. At first I thought the woofers were being over driven, but it turned out that basically everything rattles as soon as you have a powerful driver in there. The plastic housing was vibrating, the releases to fold down the rear seats were rattling, and generally everything attached to the rear deck was vibrating unless you turn down the gain on the amp to the point where it's barley more bass than the stock HK woofers. The HK woofers essentially made the most bass the rear deck could handle without a lot of rattles.

Conclusion:

I'm glad I tried this to hear first hand how it compares too the stock set-up. I'll run it like this for this season but I plan on getting a separate, compact box with a single 10" that I can remove easily for track days.

**SOME BROWSERS AREN'T SHOWING THE IMAGES IN THE POST SO I ATTACHED THEM AT THE BOTTOM.

Below: My HK woofers are mint, so it's a good comparison of the change since we're not dealing with old blown out components.

Below: Size comparison of the magnets. The rear deck already has holes in it for the magnets fit through, so there's no modification.

Below: I used rubber anti-slip matting under the amp and screws into the foam to hold it in place and isolate it from vibration. I left the power cable long because I knew this might not be the final set-up.

Below: Everything hides away nicely and there's easy access to the amp for fine tuning. I checked and the amp doesn't even get warm so it's clearly not being driven too hard.

Attached Files
    Last edited by Ramps; 04-25-2024, 11:58 AM.

Did you try the tennis ball trick? I picked up some mint HK subwoofers and when installed, I thought they were bad but it was just the rear parcel shelf. Once I added tennis balls to tighten it up, it sounded so much better paired with BavAuto speakers I installed.

Comment

As for your solution, i built a box for a shallow mount 10” sub and its perfect imo. I have an mb quart subwoofer in my car. I can get the exact specs when i get home if youd like, but you can also just buy this and add feet if you want it downward firing

thats what the box i built is based on, although an older model. I also have one in my truck and think its great

Comment

Your pictures don't work

Comment

Originally posted by enjoy_m3 View Post
          Did you try the tennis ball trick? I picked up some mint HK subwoofers and when installed, I thought they were bad but it was just the rear parcel shelf. Once I added tennis balls to tighten it up, it sounded so much better paired with BavAuto speakers I installed.
          What he said. Makes a big difference. Your taste for bass might just also just be higher and so will never be satisfied with this setup. I also think you're the second person to say they didn't like the CDT so maybe that's just not a good option for a free air setup.

Comment

Originally posted by enjoy_m3 View Post
            Where can I find how to do this tennis ball trick? I def have some rattles back there

Comment

Originally posted by Sylverlee View Post

Where can I find how to do this tennis ball trick? I def have some rattles back there
              Just google E46 tennis ball. First hit:

This has been gone over before in previous forums, but I decided to make a new DIY for those who may need the info on here. After age the rear deck lid/parcel shelf starts to rattle with the Harman Kardon subwoofer when songs with moderate to strong bass are played (sometimes even minimal). There are many ways to fix this, but

Comment

I haven’t tried the tennis ball trick, i know a lot of the rattles are inside the trunk but I’ll certainly try the ball and see if it helps!

Comment

So just to be clear...the small 2ch amp is used to power the 6x9s? Where is that amp and LOC mounted/located? Any pictures of everything is configured?
                  2005 E46 ///M3 Interlagos Blue/Cinnamon

BBS - Recaro - JRZ - PFC - Supersprint - Haimus - Vorshlag - RKP - DMG - Diffsonline - Autosolutions - ​Koyo - Mile End Composites - YFCM - GC

https://www.instagram.com/justanotham4/

Comment

Originally posted by Projecte46m3 View Post
                    So just to be clear...the small 2ch amp is used to power the 6x9s? Where is that amp and LOC mounted/located? Any pictures of everything is configured?
                    There are pictures and for some reason I can see them on Firefox and Safari and not on DuckDuckGo so I'm not sure why some browsers aren't showing the images. I attached them to the bottom of the original post.
                    Last edited by Ramps; 04-25-2024, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shonky View Post
                      Just google E46 tennis ball. First hit:

https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...ennis-ball-mod
                      lol what an absolutely hilarious and easy fix. Mine rattles like whoa. I'll give this a go.
                      E46 324i k24/dct/turbo Build Thread
                      Phoenix Yellow e46m3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Ramps View Post
                        I know there's quite a bit of info on this topic already but not a lot of actual reviews. I know the location and size of these 'subs' isn't ideal, but I'm a nut for OEM+ so I thought I'd try.

I used this amp: JBL 2 Channel Class D Amp

This LOC which is nice because it has the amp signal wire on it: Kicker LOC

I used the CDT CL-69S woofers, in hind sight I should ordered the ES-690CFS or HD-690BE SUB Pair because the point in the middle of the CL-69S hit this little pin in the plastic housing which maybe was to prevent the felt from flapping or something? I cut the pin off. I did try using the stock HK amp to drive the CDT woofers and they barely moved, that amp is sized for the very low power HK woofers.

Here's all their options for 6x9 woofers.

THE REVIEW:

Quality:

The LOC and Amp are great. The amp is compact, affordable, and has separate hi/low adjustments, gain, etc. The CDT 6x9's are also great quality, no complaints there.

Sound:

The overall bass is much better, the issue is that it's an awful location that wasn't designed for bass. At first I thought the woofers were being over driven, but it turned out that basically everything rattles as soon as you have a powerful driver in there. The plastic housing was vibrating, the releases to fold down the rear seats were rattling, and generally everything attached to the rear deck was vibrating unless you turn down the gain on the amp to the point where it's barley more bass than the stock HK woofers. The HK woofers essentially made the most bass the rear deck could handle without a lot of rattles.

Conclusion:

I'm glad I tried this to hear first hand how it compares too the stock set-up. I'll run it like this for this season but I plan on getting a separate, compact box with a single 10" that I can remove easily for track days.

**SOME BROWSERS AREN'T SHOWING THE IMAGES IN THE POST SO I ATTACHED THEM AT THE BOTTOM.

Below: My HK woofers are mint, so it's a good comparison of the change since we're not dealing with old blown out components.

Below: Size comparison of the magnets. The rear deck already has holes in it for the magnets fit through, so there's no modification.

Below: I used rubber anti-slip matting under the amp and screws into the foam to hold it in place and isolate it from vibration. I left the power cable long because I knew this might not be the final set-up.

Below: Everything hides away nicely and there's easy access to the amp for fine tuning. I checked and the amp doesn't even get warm so it's clearly not being driven too hard.

As others have mentioned, do the tennis ball mod. It allows you to turn up the bass a bit more without sounding distorted

I added the HK Sub-box to my Non-HK coupe and it gives pretty decent bass. It's being powered by an MB Quart amp with built in low pass filter. I'm pulling the signal from the rear channels. I have an AVANT 4 headunit w/o DSP. All the other speakers are stock non-HK.

I was considering switching out the 6x9x to either the CDTs, Kicker, or Rockford Fosgates but maybe I'll leave it as is for a while longer.

I had tried the Bavsound speakers but was underwhelmed and ended up returning them. In the future I may get a DSP amp to see if that improves the overall sound quality.

Comment

Thanks for trying this out. I havent found a set of 6x9 woofers that will Vehicles with rear electric shade.

Comment

Working...
                          X