Went for a drive, lost power and now car exhaust sounds like it has cams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stilt View Post

I'm not sure if this has been aforementioned already but, does the car feel like it has no high end power / in the higher rpm's do you not notice an audible change in the exhaust tone?

If you do, then it is the vanos seals 100% - which happened to me.

Seals = pressure, no pressure = vanos no worky.

I had misfire codes on all cylinders once and I completely forgot what the issue was, whoops.

I think the misfire codes was from when I had to replace the solenoid pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Had to go into the archive for this one to see if I had taken a picture of the codes when I had my vanos issue. This may help; my piston seals said bye bye.

I went ahead and did the solenoid pack as well just because I wanted to rule it out and it hadn't been taken care of yet.

It's about a 5 hr job, very meticulous and you may want to sling the vanos unit across the garage a couple times but wasn't too bad of a job.

Comment

I'm almost positive its related to the VANOS solenoid. Its either the solenoid pack itself or the wiring. Could be oil pump disk but that would have other noises.

If you have a multimeter check the ground pins on the solenoid pack connector and make sure they have continuity with chassis ground. Good diagnostic step that should only take 5 minutes.

Comment

Ah man sorry to read this!! I haven't been on the forum for a minute so just catching up - I hope this gets resolved soon! If you need help feel free to hit me up as well!
        - Jonathan

2004 M3 6MT Carbon Black OEM+ | Vortex Days

Comment

I had the same exact symptoms after two hard pulls on the freeway. Driving everything ok on the way home except the car felt sluggish on acceleration and underpowered. Rough idle and when the car gets past 2K-3K RPM's everything smoothed out. Check engine light was showing,

P0010 (Powertrain "A" Camshaft Positive Actuator Circuit Bank 1)
          P0012 (Powertrain - Timing Over-Retarded Bank 1)
          P0300 (Powertrain - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected)
          P0302 (Powertrain Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected)
          P0303 (Powertrain Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected)
          P0304 (Powertrain Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected)

Spoke with Lama at Beisan System's and worked through the magnet test, OHM readings, etc. Turned out to be a bunk solenoid after a few thousand miles. After installing the new Beisan Solenoid Pack, everything was back to normal. Hoping this one lasts longer!

Comment

I'm not sure if this has been aforementioned already but, does the car feel like it has no high end power / in the higher rpm's do you not notice an audible change in the exhaust tone?

If you do, then it is the vanos seals 100% - which happened to me.

Seals = pressure, no pressure = vanos no worky.

I had misfire codes on all cylinders once and I completely forgot what the issue was, whoops.

I think the misfire codes was from when I had to replace the solenoid pack.

Thanks for this. I ordered the seals as well as the solenoid and I’m going to do the solenoid first since it’s easy. If that doesn’t fix it, I’ll need to take it to a shop to do the seals as that looks pretty involved. :/

parts finally came in today so I’ll tackle the solenoid tonight. I hope that’s it!

Comment

Originally posted by jpy1980 View Post

Thanks for this. I ordered the seals as well as the solenoid and I'm going to do the solenoid first since it's easy. If that doesn't fix it, I'll need to take it to a shop to do the seals as that looks pretty involved. :/

parts finally came in today so I'll tackle the solenoid tonight. I hope that's it!
              Hope it all works out 🙏

Comment

Hope it all works out 🙏

Btw did you do the seals yourself or did you take it to a shop? Not the solenoid plate seals but the other ones on the unit itself? Beissn said it was a diy job but seems way more involved.

Comment

Ok switched out the solenoid and cleaned the solenoid body, still having issues. My old codes of p0011 and p0014 are gone but now I have these: p0012, plus misfires in all cylinders. Do you think this is just the CPS now?

Reset adaptation via Martin's tools, but no luck. Still running real rich and sounds cammed.

These are the codes from INPA:
                  184 EVANOS1-Regelung Error frequency : 1 Logistic counter: 40 Motordrehzahl 1520.00 1/min Oeltemperatur TOG 78.00 Grad C Kuehlwassertemp. 75.00 Grad C Versorgungsspannung HR 14.00 V aufgetreten vor (rel. BZ) 0.00 h kein Druck Fehler momentan vorhanden statischer Fehler ------------------------------------------------------------- 205 Aussetzer Zyl.1 Abgas Error frequency : 1 Logistic counter: 80 Motordrehzahl 1480.00 1/min relative Fuellung 21.60 % Kuehlwassertemp. 75.00 Grad C Versorgungsspannung HR 14.00 V aufgetreten vor (rel. BZ) 0.00 h im 1. Messintervall Fehler momentan nicht vorhanden sporadischer Fehler ------------------------------------------------------------- 206 Aussetzer Zyl.2 Abgas Error frequency : 1 Logistic counter: 80 Motordrehzahl 1480.00 1/min relative Fuellung 21.60 % Kuehlwassertemp. 75.00 Grad C Versorgungsspannung HR 14.00 V aufgetreten vor (rel. BZ) 0.00 h im 1. Messintervall Fehler momentan nicht vorhanden sporadischer Fehler ------------------------------------------------------------- 207 Aussetzer Zyl.3 Abgas Error frequency : 1 Logistic counter: 80 Motordrehzahl 1480.00 1/min relative Fuellung 21.60 % Kuehlwassertemp. 75.00 Grad C Versorgungsspannung HR 14.00 V aufgetreten vor (rel. BZ) 0.00 h im 1. Messintervall Fehler momentan nicht vorhanden sporadischer Fehler ------------------------------------------------------------- 208 Aussetzer Zyl.4 Abgas Error frequency : 1 Logistic counter: 80 Motordrehzahl 1480.00 1/min relative Fuellung 21.60 % Kuehlwassertemp. 75.00 Grad C Versorgungsspannung HR 14.00 V aufgetreten vor (rel. BZ) 0.00 h im 1. Messintervall Fehler momentan nicht vorhanden sporadischer Fehler ------------------------------------------------------------- 209 Aussetzer Zyl.5 Abgas Error frequency : 1 Logistic counter: 80 Motordrehzahl 1480.00 1/min relative Fuellung 21.60 % Kuehlwassertemp. 75.00 Grad C Versorgungsspannung HR 14.00 V aufgetreten vor (rel. BZ) 0.00 h im 1. Messintervall Fehler momentan nicht vorhanden sporadischer Fehler ------------------------------------------------------------- 210 Aussetzer Zyl.6 Abgas Error frequency : 1 Logistic counter: 80 Motordrehzahl 1480.00 1/min relative Fuellung 21.60 % Kuehlwassertemp. 75.00 Grad C Versorgungsspannung HR 14.00 V aufgetreten vor (rel. BZ) 0.00 h im 1. Messintervall Fehler momentan nicht vorhanden sporadischer Fehler ------------------------------------------------------------- 213 Aussetzer mehr Zylinder Abgas Error frequency : 1 Logistic counter: 80 Motordrehzahl 1480.00 1/min relative Fuellung 21.60 % Kuehlwassertemp. 75.00 Grad C Versorgungsspannung HR 14.00 V aufgetreten vor (rel. BZ) 0.00 h im 1. Messintervall Fehler momentan vorhanden statischer Fehler ================================================== ==========

Just did the VANOS test again and this is what came up:

Test file : C:\EDIABAS\ECU\MSS54_VANOS_TESTS.TST
                  Start : 03.05.2024 16:48:34.4
                  Nr 1( 1) : 03.05.2024 16:48:34.5
                  apiJob("mss54ds0","STEUERN_EVANOS1_FRUEHANSCHLAG", "","")
                  JOB_STATUS = OKAY
                  EVAN_ISTWERT = 67 00 43 .C
                  EVAN_SOLLWERT = 52 00 34 .4
                  EVAN_ISTWERT_EINH = Grad KW
                  EVAN_SOLLWERT_EINH = Grad KW
                  Nr 2( 1) : 03.05.2024 16:48:39.9
                  apiJob("mss54ds0","STEUERN_EVANOS1_SPAETANSCHLAG", "","")
                  JOB_STATUS = OKAY
                  EVAN_ISTWERT = 67 00 43 .C
                  EVAN_SOLLWERT = 52 00 34 .4
                  EVAN_ISTWERT_EINH = Grad KW
                  EVAN_SOLLWERT_EINH = Grad KW
                  Nr 3( 1) : 03.05.2024 16:48:45.2
                  apiJob("mss54ds0","STEUERN_EVANOS1_VERSTELLZEIT"," ","")
                  JOB_STATUS = OKAY
                  EVAN_VERSTELLZEIT_FRUEH = 0 00 00 ..
                  EVAN_VERSTELLZEIT_SPAET = 0 00 00 ..
                  EVAN_VERSTELLZEIT_FRUEH_EINH = ms
                  EVAN_VERSTELLZEIT_SPAET_EINH = ms
                  Nr 4( 1) : 03.05.2024 16:48:51.5
                  apiJob("mss54ds0","STEUERN_EVANOS1_DICHTHEIT",""," ")
                  JOB_STATUS = OKAY
                  EVAN_STATUS = EVANOS-1-Einheit vorzeitig weggedriftet
                  Nr 5( 1) : 03.05.2024 16:49:05.9
                  apiJob("mss54ds0","STEUERN_AVANOS1_FRUEHANSCHLAG", "","")
                  JOB_STATUS = OKAY
                  AVAN_ISTWERT = 51 00 33 .3
                  AVAN_SOLLWERT = 20 00 14 ..
                  AVAN_ISTWERT_EINH = Grad KW
                  AVAN_SOLLWERT_EINH = Grad KW
                  Nr 6( 1) : 03.05.2024 16:49:11.3
                  apiJob("mss54ds0","STEUERN_AVANOS1_SPAETANSCHLAG", "","")
                  JOB_STATUS = OKAY
                  AVAN_ISTWERT = 50 00 32 .2
                  AVAN_SOLLWERT = 20 00 14 ..
                  AVAN_ISTWERT_EINH = Grad KW
                  AVAN_SOLLWERT_EINH = Grad KW
                  Nr 7( 1) : 03.05.2024 16:49:16.6
                  apiJob("mss54ds0","STEUERN_AVANOS1_VERSTELLZEIT"," ","")
                  JOB_STATUS = OKAY
                  AVAN_VERSTELLZEIT_FRUEH = 0 00 00 ..
                  AVAN_VERSTELLZEIT_SPAET = 0 00 00 ..
                  AVAN_VERSTELLZEIT_FRUEH_EINH = ms
                  AVAN_VERSTELLZEIT_SPAET_EINH = ms
                  Nr 8( 1) : 03.05.2024 16:49:22.9
                  apiJob("mss54ds0","STEUERN_AVANOS1_DICHTHEIT",""," ")
                  JOB_STATUS = OKAY
                  AVAN_STATUS = AVANOS-1-Einheit vorzeitig weggedriftet
                  Stop : 03.05.2024 16:49:38.3
                  Dauer : 64.0 s

Comment

Btw did you do the seals yourself or did you take it to a shop? Not the solenoid plate seals but the other ones on the unit itself? Beissn said it was a diy job but seems way more involved.
                    Yeah, I did the seals myself. It's a pretty straightforward process, but the only "difficult" part is seating the few seals inside the unit because it is very tight inside of the vanos unit itself.

I recommend getting some picks if you don't have any already; you obviously don't want to use the sharp ones when installing them (taking them off, not so much, because they aren't important) to avoid mistakingly stabbing or puncturing a seal when inserting it / placing or manipulating it.

Comment

Yeah, I did the seals myself. It's a pretty straightforward process, but the only "difficult" part is seating the few seals inside the unit because it is very tight inside of the vanos unit itself.

I recommend getting some picks if you don't have any already; you obviously don't want to use the sharp ones when installing them (taking them off, not so much, because they aren't important) to avoid mistakingly stabbing or puncturing a seal when inserting it / placing or manipulating it.
                      Not worried about doin the actual seals rather than taking out the whole Vanos system. Seems like you need timing tools etc.

Comment

Not worried about doin the actual seals rather than taking out the whole Vanos system. Seems like you need timing tools etc.
                        To do the seals the only timing tool you might need is the timing pin, which is just for safety, so it's not 100% required, it just depends on your mechanical confidence. You aren't touching the cam gears or the sprockets / messing with the timing.

Comment

Would recommend before digging into it:

1. Check the wiring as I described above

2. Open valve cover and inspect the oil pump disc, if the vanos oil pump is damaged you will need more than just the seals.

Usually when folks do vanos work you should also consider the following:
                          - cam hub bolts, stock ones can snap
                          - beisan timing chain guide
                          - anti-rattle splines

I believe there is a procedure for removing just the vanos unit and not the splines without affecting timing. I've never done it myself though.

Comment

Originally posted by eacmen View Post

2. Open valve cover and inspect the oil pump disc, if the vanos oil pump is damaged you will need more than just the seals.

- anti-rattle splines

I believe there is a procedure for removing just the vanos unit and not the splines without affecting timing. I've never done it myself though.
                            +1 to everything

If you don't loosen the 10mm bolts on the hubs, you won't affect timing. Might need to rock the cams around a bit so that the splines protrude enough and you can get some wrenches on them.
                            2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by eacmen View Post

- anti-rattle splines

Thanks for this!

forgot to mention that I opened up the dme and checked those wires. Seemed like they were on tight.

At this point I’ll just get it towed to my shop.

Comment

I’ll say it again even though I’m apparently wrong - check your coils. It’s free.

Comment

Working...
                                X