AiM Dash Display install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by elbert View Post
    ​I'm getting fuel level and outside temp data. I don't know if it's calculated or not, but AIM getting it from somewhere, and the values do change.
    Do you know the ID/offset for fuel level? I'd like to add it to my CAN gauge

Edit: Never mind, I found the answer here: https://www.ms4x.net/index.php?title..._ID_0x613_ICL2

If anyone is curious, fuel level is the 2nd byte of ID 0x613. Bits 0-6 are the level in liters and bit 7 is set when the fuel reserve light comes on.
    Last edited by heinzboehmer; 05-23-2024, 07:49 AM.
    2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

So, one downside of this is that diagnostics of remaining factory modules will be limited. When the factory cluster is disconnected, access to diagnostic functions of other modules may also not work.
      Today I needed to access the LCM to change some coding options. No chance without the factory cluster connected to the K-Bus. So it is important to keep the possibility to reconnect the factory cluster in case of difficulties.
      Once the factory cluster was reconnected to the K-Bus, diagnostic access to the LCM worked like usual (same for inpa and pasoft).
      Although I'm still having issues to flash changes with ncsexpert: I change the options and it says coding successful, but then no changes are applied?! But this should be unrelated to the above as changing options with pasoft works...

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 7 mit Tapatalk

Comment

Also first update on sensor config:
        I did the coolant level warning sensor. It's a switch that works with a floating magnet. I used a 2k ohm resistor connected to a 5V output and connected it to the signal wire which is also connected to the analog input.
        In normal condition with enough fluid, sensor will send 0V to the input. When disconnected or with empty fluid tank, the reading will be at 4V. I set a rule in the AiM for coolant warning light to go on above 3V. First on done, more to go...

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post

What's up!

Just wanted to verify that you deleted the OE cluster.

I'm not really concerned with DSC but does ABS still work normally? Can you still get data from the unit? I like looking at wheel speed and steering angle data.

Im thinking this should be easy for me, all I have is the ECU, MK60, LCM (brake lights), and the IKE. Everything else has been deleted. The only other data I want is brake pressure data that I can't already get through CAN.
          Yes my stock cluster is completely removed. Once you do so, module to module communications become out of whack. The IKE serves as a “center” module, if that makes sense.

With it removed, DSC will be permanently off/ABS should function. Within the stock AIM configuration, I want to say they are able to get wheel speed and steering angle data. It's been a while since I tested this, so I can't remember if I had the stock cluster unplugged or not.

I still have SMG, so it complicated things. Immediately I received CAN errors due the MK60 not communicating with the SMG DME. Until the handshake between the cluster and DSC/ABS unit, it will not relay any data necessary for SMG to function properly.

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

It is, but it's on another address than all the other parameters. Makes it annoying to grab if your device can't poll multiple at once.
            The MK60 streams brake pressure data over KBUS, oddly enough. I have them converted to CAN on a custom ID the AIM can pick up.

Comment

Originally posted by Altaran View Post

I just asked him for his Race Studio Config File, so I don't have to ask for the math formulas. Don't know if he would want to make that public, guess thats up to him. I have not received feedback on that pm...

I talked to tech support today as well. Using factory sensors is just like Nick said not going to be plug and play. The way they usually do it is connect ground and connect signal and connect current with a resistor to signal and start measuring. So getting this data and what type of resistor used would really help to speed things up.

How did you do that? I have not found that option in RS3. Does it "occupy¨ one of the two Can circuits? Since I run another ABS I need both Can Bus.
              My configuration is specific to my car, not much help on yours to be honest.

I am running a few metrics from the standard AIM configuration on CAN1, and then picking up alot of metrics on CAN2. This is the only way to do it, in my opinion. I have a full list of some CAN ID's I can share in this thread that may be of use.

I have a custom module in place that is emulating the stock cluster, satisfying the MK60/SMG, as well as converting some KBUS/DBUS metrics to CAN.

Comment

Originally posted by nickpiper12 View Post

Yes my stock cluster is completely removed. Once you do so, module to module communications become out of whack. The IKE serves as a “center” module, if that makes sense.

With it removed, DSC will be permanently off/ABS should function. Within the stock AIM configuration, I want to say they are able to get wheel speed and steering angle data. It's been a while since I tested this, so I can't remember if I had the stock cluster unplugged or not.

I still have SMG, so it complicated things. Immediately I received CAN errors due the MK60 not communicating with the SMG DME. Until the handshake between the cluster and DSC/ABS unit, it will not relay any data necessary for SMG to function properly.
                Thanks for confirming. Can you still pull fault codes from the MK60 as you would when the OE cluster is plugged in?

Do you have any more info on how you converted brake pressure data to CAN?

Comment

The MK60 streams brake pressure data over KBUS, oddly enough. I have them converted to CAN on a custom ID the AIM can pick up.
                  On the K bus? That's a weird bus to have that info on. Pretty sure the MK60 isn't connected to the K bus, so some other module must be doing the translation from CAN/D bus to K bus.

Seems like there's a way to get two way communication between K and D buses using diagnostic messages. Don't know the specifics, but t3ddftw was talking about this on the Gauge.S discord the other day. Maybe I can get leverage this to get brake pressure data on the D bus and then onto my gauge. Another project added to the list!

I have a full list of some CAN ID's I can share in this thread that may be of use.
                  Yes, please!
                  2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

Comment

On the K bus? That's a weird bus to have that info on. Pretty sure the MK60 isn't connected to the K bus, so some other module must be doing the translation from CAN/D bus to K bus.

Seems like there's a way to get two way communication between K and D buses using diagnostic messages. Don't know the specifics, but t3ddftw was talking about this on the Gauge.S discord the other day. Maybe I can get leverage this to get brake pressure data on the D bus and then onto my gauge. Another project added to the list!

Yes, please!
                    I'm going to assume Nick meant K-Line (D-Bus). Brake pressure is 100% not on the I/K-Bus.

Looking at the MK60 pinout, it has a connection to CAN H/L and D-Bus:
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20240529_152859.png
Views:	82
Size:	196.6 KB
ID:	266133

-Ted
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by t3ddftw View Post
                      I'm going to assume Nick meant K-Line (D-Bus). Brake pressure is 100% not on the I/K-Bus.
                      Hmm, I was hoping nickpiper12 meant D bus as well, but found some other threads that say K bus. e.g. https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...6#post28926476 and https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/s...6797#post96797

Maybe everyone means D bus? If it's on D bus, then that would make my life super easy.

Comment

Hmm, I was hoping nickpiper12 meant D bus as well, but found some other threads that say K bus. e.g. https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...6#post28926476 and https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/s...6797#post96797

Maybe everyone means D bus? If it's on D bus, then that would make my life super easy.
                        Maybe I missed it what do you have in mind?

I really want to start looking at brake pressure data to further develop my skills...would be outstanding if I could get that through my AiM SoloDL without adding an additional sensor (reliability and weight).

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post

Maybe I missed it what do you have in mind?

I really want to start looking at brake pressure data to further develop my skills...would be outstanding if I could get that through my AiM SoloDL without adding an additional sensor (reliability and weight).
                          Ah I'm kinda just grabbing info from this thread to add to my own datalogger (Gauge.S). I'm not sure if the AiM products can log values from D bus, but Gauge.S can. So, if brake pressure is on D bus, it should be simple to add.

Comment

Ah I'm kinda just grabbing info from this thread to add to my own datalogger (Gauge.S). I'm not sure if the AiM products can log values from D bus, but Gauge.S can. So, if brake pressure is on D bus, it should be simple to add.
                            I think the big disconnect is that the industry refers to BMWs "D-Bus" as K-Line / K-Bus. BMW couldn't call it that because they decided to create an unrelated "Karosserie" Bus to simplify comms between the different body ECUs.

Anyhow, dug this up from the interwebs:

Name:	image.png
Views:	96
Size:	868.0 KB
ID:	266243

If INPA sees these values, then it's 100% available on the D-Bus.

I would guess that this DS2 command would give you the raw sensor data from the MK60:

56 05 90 00 C3

Logging the D-Bus while watching the values is going to be your best bet at deciphering it

-Ted​

Comment

Thanks Ted! I'll give it a shot soon

Comment

Originally posted by t3ddftw View Post

I think the big disconnect is that the industry refers to BMWs "D-Bus" as K-Line / K-Bus. BMW couldn't call it that because they decided to create an unrelated "Karosserie" Bus to simplify comms between the different body ECUs.

Anyhow, dug this up from the interwebs:

Name:	image.png
Views:	96
Size:	868.0 KB
ID:	266243

If INPA sees these values, then it's 100% available on the D-Bus.

I would guess that this DS2 command would give you the raw sensor data from the MK60:

56 05 90 00 C3

Logging the D-Bus while watching the values is going to be your best bet at deciphering it

-Ted​
                                Not necessarily, I did an INPA brake fluid flush on my MK60 without any connection to K-line. Only the can bus was connected to transfer information.
                                I also revisited the connector pinout of the MK60 as I did not recall K-Line from doing the conversion. There's no pin for K-Line.

Comment

Working...
                                X