• Show
Clear All

Rod Bearings You Say

Greetings everyone

Decided to finally do the rod bearings on the M3
    She has 102,8XX miles

Oil changes have been Castrol TWS until 2 years ago
    switch to LM 10W-60

My buddy lent me his garage with a lift to do this job.
    I also ordered new steering coupler , engine mounts and transmission mounts from AKG (steering coupler OEM)

Quite a easy job to do, the DIY make it seem hard maybe over whelming.

I just followed my own way.

From the pictures you can see
    the rod bearing served itโ€™s purpose in its life

Nice job man, did you use OEM or aftermarket bolts? Also what brand/model torque wrench and/or angle gauge did you use?

Edit: I've got a 4 post lift at home (drive on type) do you see any issues doing this job with that style of lift? I don't think there would be any problems, but I don't have a full grasp of what kind of underside access is required.
    Last edited by Cubieman; 05-22-2020, 06:18 PM.
    2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
    Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
    Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
    RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
    Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post
      Nice job man, did you use OEM or aftermarket bolts? Also what brand/model torque wrench and/or angle gauge did you use?

Edit: I've got a 4 post lift at home (drive on type) do you see any issues doing this job with that style of lift? I don't think there would be any problems, but I don't have a full grasp of what kind of underside access is required.

For a drive on lift it will be a little tricker to remove the front subframe. As I removed it in one piece. But you can actually still put the car on use jack stands on that lift.

The work is still in progress. I did 4 hours of work today
      just chill with a beer no rushing. Decided to just take of one bearing today. Finish it up tomorrow

I bought a brand new gear wrench torque wrench.
      Im using VAC bearings with the ARP studs so they are torque to stretch or torque to FT LB spec.
      I will be doing FT LB spec

Comment

Thanks for the info, I like the beer and no rushing. My standard operating procedure is one Budlight to loosen me up for most jobs.
        2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
        Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
        Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
        RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
        Instagram

Comment

I took my time and did it over 3 days total of about 10hrs, Yeah instructions are pretty overwhelming but the job was easy. (Think itโ€™s bc they list every single step) I did it on jack-stands. Hardest part for me was remove the control arms from the knuckles and torque sequence sucked since mine is an 06.
          06 ZCP SMG | HTE CSL MAP QuaranTune | SL CSL Airbox | Eventuri Scoop | DMG Strut Bar | RE El Diablo | CPI Euro200R | AP Headers | Porsche BBK | ST XTA | TMS 3-Pulleys/F-Sway/Mono FCAB | AKG Trans/diff/Subframe/RTAB | SPL RCA | SGT SCZA Trunk | ACL | Beisan | Redish | AFD E85 |

Budget CSL MAP Conversion

Comment

I also did it on jack stands, but it took me about a week. Worked about two hours every day since I didn't want to rush anything.
            2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Quickest rod bearing job I've done so far is 9 hours which felt like a safe/productive pace.

Comment

A lift certainly makes it a more relaxing job. Nicely done.
                '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

anyone doing these types of jobs on the floor without a lift deserves a bottle of Blevedere... BMW should be providing that to everyone tackling this thing on the back LOL

Comment

Finished the job up today.
                    Runs great no noises or leaks

.Click image for larger version

Name:	image0.jpeg
Views:	362
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	27730
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.jpeg
Views:	369
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	27731

Comment

Completed this job a few weeks ago. Significant wear on #2, but otherwise not too bad. Blackstone report showed elevated lead and copper, so it was time. 164k km on bearings. Even though my M3 is MY01 I had the updated bolts and torque procedure due to the block being replaced early on during the car's life due to rod bearing failure.

Did this job on jack stands. A lift would have made the torque sequence suck less, but I'm convinced it would have sucked nonetheless.

OP - that bearing is one of the worst I've ever seen. No scoring on the crank journal for that cylinder?

Comment

Originally posted by LightlyToasted View Post
                        Completed this job a few weeks ago. Significant wear on #2, but otherwise not too bad. Blackstone report showed elevated lead and copper, so it was time. 164k km on bearings. Even though my M3 is MY01 I had the updated bolts and torque procedure due to the block being replaced early on during the car's life due to rod bearing failure.

Did this job on jack stands. A lift would have made the torque sequence suck less, but I'm convinced it would have sucked nonetheless.

OP - that bearing is one of the worst I've ever seen. No scoring on the crank journal for that cylinder?

I cleaned the journal and inspected each one with a mirror.
                        no scoring on the crankshaft.

Comment

Originally posted by Stack View Post
                          I cleaned the journal and inspected each one with a mirror.
                          no scoring on the crankshaft.
                          ๐Ÿ‘
                          Glad to hear it! Must feel good catching it in time.

Comment

Working...
                          X