No announcement yet.

Where's your IAT? (CSL guys)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In motion it’s reading significantly above ambient? Because when stopped it’s just a reflection of actually higher IATs when stopped...

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
    2012 LMB/Black 128i
    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
      In motion it’s reading significantly above ambient? Because when stopped it’s just a reflection of actually higher IATs when stopped...
      Yeah it’s a fair bit higher than ambient even in motion. When stopped it gets very high and takes several minutes for it to come back down when moving.

edit: just checked on a drive; my iat reads 105°F while cruising at 80 mph while ambient is 75°F

Comment

Originally posted by terra View Post

Yeah it’s a fair bit higher than ambient even in motion. When stopped it gets very high and takes several minutes for it to come back down when moving.

edit: just checked on a drive; my iat reads 105°F while cruising at 80 mph while ambient is 75°F
        Might be a dumb question, but: are you two running different airboxes (OE vs various generations of Karb, etc)? Specifically, what is the IAT bung made of on each of your airboxes?

Looking at my Turner box the IAT bung is metal, which seems like it would be much more prone to getting hot from its surroundings and therefore heatsoaking the sensor than a plastic bung would. 😒
        Last edited by ATB88; 05-30-2020, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ATB88 View Post

Might be a dumb question, but: are you two running different airboxes (OE vs various generations of Karb, etc)? Specifically, what is the IAT bung made of on each of your airboxes?

Looking at my Turner box the IAT bung is metal, which seems like it would be much more prone to getting hot from its surroundings and therefore heatsoaking the sensor than a plastic bung would. 😒
          All three are metal. I've never heard a CSL airbox owner complain about the performance with the IAT sensor in the stock location.

Comment

Mine is OEM and I’m going pretty sure Terra’s is karbonius.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
            2012 LMB/Black 128i
            2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post

All three are metal. I've never heard a CSL airbox owner complain about the performance with the IAT sensor in the stock location.
              I mean my performance is relatively okay; the CSL software doesn't weigh IAT as heavily as standard software. But it does indeed read significantly above ambient for me, even in motion.

I have a relatively early Karbonius airbox. The newer ones are built better, but I can't imagine them being very different in this aspect.

Comment

Originally posted by terra View Post

I mean my performance is relatively okay; the CSL software doesn't weigh IAT as heavily as standard software. But it does indeed read significantly above ambient for me, even in motion.

I have a relatively early Karbonius airbox. The newer ones are built better, but I can't imagine them being very different in this aspect.
                Maybe the sensor is not functioning properly. Try swapping it with a new one and see if that works.

Comment

Just moved mine tonight and switched to US Spec. Scaling to account for the different sensor.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	20200601_191207.jpg
Views:	889
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	30575 Click image for larger version

Name:	20200601_191157.jpg
Views:	844
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	30576
                  2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
                  Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
                  Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
                  RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
                  Instagram

Comment

Good idea. Think I will be doing the same.
                    06 ZCP SMG | HTE CSL MAP QuaranTune | SL CSL Airbox | Eventuri Scoop | DMG Strut Bar | RE El Diablo | CPI Euro200R | AP Headers | Porsche BBK | ST XTA | TMS 3-Pulleys/F-Sway/Mono FCAB | AKG Trans/diff/Subframe/RTAB | SPL RCA | SGT SCZA Trunk | ACL | Beisan | Redish | AFD E85 |

Budget CSL MAP Conversion

Comment

Similar to Cubieman's location above but in my Karbonius snorkel. Works good except the wire seems to wire harness I got is just long enough to reach the ECU.
                      "your BMW has how many miles!?"

2003 (2/03) M3 coupe Imolarot/Black 6 M/T - JRZ RS One 450/550 - Ground Control Street - SDW RTAB - TMS Street ARCA - Redish V2 - TMS solid subframe bushings - Volk Racing G2 18x9.5 - StopTech ST40 355 (coming soon) - Beisan Systems VANOS parts - WPC OE rod bearings - Karbonius CSL airbox - Kassel MSS54HP DME - Kassel MAP sensor - Euro headers and Section 1 - SuperSprint Sport - Recaro Speed - Schroth Rallye 4 QF - AS 30% SSK

build/journal
                      ig: @zzyzx85

Comment

Turner airbox + OEM CSL sensor: bigtime heatsoak. Was seeing 125-135 degrees at the IAT cruising at 80 on the freeway with an external temp of 70. This could be due in part to the Turner box's lack of snorkel, remains to be seen.

Comment

Turner airbox + OEM CSL sensor: bigtime heatsoak. Was seeing 125-135 degrees at the IAT cruising at 80 on the freeway with an external temp of 70. This could be due in part to the Turner box's lack of snorkel, remains to be seen.
                          Like I mention earlier I have those scoops behind the kidney grills and the Eventuri scoop on the bumper. No snorkel and still at 10-15f over ambient temp. I would still design a heat shield that blocks some of the hot air between the engine and mouth of the airbox.
                          06 ZCP SMG | HTE CSL MAP QuaranTune | SL CSL Airbox | Eventuri Scoop | DMG Strut Bar | RE El Diablo | CPI Euro200R | AP Headers | Porsche BBK | ST XTA | TMS 3-Pulleys/F-Sway/Mono FCAB | AKG Trans/diff/Subframe/RTAB | SPL RCA | SGT SCZA Trunk | ACL | Beisan | Redish | AFD E85 |

Comment

Lol jesus, so, mine's reading 60-70F above ambient at speed today. That's pretty brutal. Strongly considering a relocation, but, since the Turner box is snorkel-less there isn't really anywhere appropriate to relocate to...

I wonder why Obioban's the only one here reporting no heatsoak in the stock location?

Originally posted by COVID-19 View Post
                            Like I mention earlier I have those scoops behind the kidney grills and the Eventuri scoop on the bumper. No snorkel and still at 10-15f over ambient temp. I would still design a heat shield that blocks some of the hot air between the engine and mouth of the airbox.
                            What kidney scoops are you referring to? In your pic your kidney area looks stock am I missing something? Also, do you think the eventuri scoop does a substantially better job than the ducting that was there to feed the original airbox? Would consider one like it I could get it in normal-cost plastic separately from the rest of their intake kit

Comment

Lol jesus, so, mine's reading 60-70F above ambient at speed today. That's pretty brutal. Strongly considering a relocation, but, since the Turner box is snorkel-less there isn't really anywhere appropriate to relocate to...

I wonder why Obioban's the only one here reporting no heatsoak in the stock location?

What kidney scoops are you referring to? In your pic your kidney area looks stock am I missing something? Also, do you think the eventuri scoop does a substantially better job than the ducting that was there to feed the original airbox? Would consider one like it I could get it in normal-cost plastic separately from the rest of their intake kit
                              Before putting mine on the dyno I use their fans to see if I could feel the air coming through. Surprisingly you could feel the air through both scoops. I think both scoops are useful if you don’t have a Snorkel. The oem design basically just sits there and yes it might redirect some air but not as much as the Eventuri. Eventuri sell the scoop by itself but it’s expensive. Just keep an eye out for a use one. Or try to fabricate one. (I think I saw some on eBay but they are not pretty) (I got the scoops behind the grills on eBay but there’s other vendors)
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	7BFD373E-1E91-4628-BEF7-1D8EC4CCC40C.jpeg
Views:	502
Size:	235.2 KB
ID:	31072

Comment

Originally posted by COVID-19 View Post

Before putting mine on the dyno I use their fans to see if I could feel the air coming through. Surprisingly you could feel the air through both scoops. I think both scoops are useful if you don’t have a Snorkel. The oem design basically just sits there and yes it might redirect some air but not as much as the Eventuri. Eventuri sell the scoop by itself but it’s expensive. Just keep an eye out for a use one. Or try to fabricate one. (I think I saw some on eBay but they are not pretty) (I got the scoops behind the grills on eBay but there’s other vendors)
                                Ahh I see. Cool! I'll try and pick up a set of ebay scoops and see if it helps. Definitely not paying $200+ for the eventuri piece, at that point I'd rather just put the money towards upgrading to a karb box with a snorkel

In the meantime, thinking about relocating my IAT to the tube that feeds the bottom of the stock air filter box from the bumper duct. Worried that it's so far from the box at that point that it'll read too cold and the car will run a little richer, but that's probably better than being off ambient by 60-70 degrees lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X