SMG to 6MT Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pawelgawel View Post
    anyone here machine the housing themselves?
    Decided to purchase a drill press for my dads shop, figured it'll come in handy for many things anyways.. would like to see if anyone had done this and if there was any issues along the way
    Seems like sapote did. Also this guy https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...pdate-and-pics

3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

thanks!

Comment

anyone here machine the housing themselves?
        Decided to purchase a drill press for my dads shop, figured it'll come in handy for many things anyways.. would like to see if anyone had done this and if there was any issues along the way
        I have access to machine shop and had planned out what to do, but had not done yet. What do you want to know?

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post

I have access to machine shop and had planned out what to do, but had not done yet. What do you want to know?
          just wondering what size of bits are being used to get the proper bore. The sketch going around shows 18mm though with a 16.2mm lip on the inside. WILE Motorsport told me they bore out a 17mm through 1st and then use 18mm but leave about 1-2mm lip to keep the bushing in. Ive never done anything like this but I imagine there will be a little bit of a leeway on the .x0mm so Im curious to what people are using.

Comment

just wondering what size of bits are being used to get the proper bore. The sketch going around shows 18mm though with a 16.2mm lip on the inside. WILE Motorsport told me they bore out a 17mm through 1st and then use 18mm but leave about 1-2mm lip to keep the bushing in. Ive never done anything like this but I imagine there will be a little bit of a leeway on the .x0mm so Im curious to what people are using.
            17mm lip or 16.2mm is fine – just for stop the sleeves from falling inside. 16.2 gives more lip but I don’t think it’s necessary. Measure your sleeves to make sure they are not loose inside the 18mm bores – a little interference is better to avoid sleeve sliding leading to wear on the soft aluminum bore.

It seems you have no capacity for machining the locking C-clip grooves, then what is your method for capping/sealing the holes? I suggest using the differential drain bolts,but don’t let it bottomed on the sleeve.

I think the 18mm, or whatever it is, needs to be precise to have the sleeves press-fit and avoid them sliding and worn holes. Everything else is not that precise.
            Last edited by sapote; 01-04-2021, 02:02 PM.

Comment

yes Ill be using the diff plugs for the caps, unless I figure out a way to machine the C clip goove. I though of maybe using dremel tool, but I think im asking for trouble that way.

Comment

I wish I had the time, energy, and skills to DIY. Going thru a shop, I’m looking at paying $3400-4100 for the swap in Texas with me providing an AS SSK and stock shift knob.
                Silver Track to Street Car Journal
                Interlagos Blue Street Car Journal

Comment

Originally posted by SQ13 View Post
                  I wish I had the time, energy, and skills to DIY. Going thru a shop, I’m looking at paying $3400-4100 for the swap in Texas with me providing an AS SSK and stock shift knob.
                  Make sure to use your BH and don't swap with another modified BH.

Comment

Make sure to use your BH and don't swap with another modified BH.
                    Yup. Def will retain my bellhousing. I don’t want other peoples’ high-mileage parts.

Trying to decide whether or not I want to attempt to DIY this. Would save me maybe $1500 as long as I don’t fuck it up.
                    Last edited by SQ13; 01-07-2021, 10:26 AM.
                    Silver Track to Street Car Journal
                    Interlagos Blue Street Car Journal

Comment

curious to know what length of drill bits ill need to have on hand to have the proper clearance.. have you sort that out yet?

Comment

Standard drill bit length should be enough.

Comment

Anyone doing this, I now sell custom plugs to fit in the steering wheel where the paddles used to be. You may have seen them on Facebook briefly, I'm just waiting until I have enough posts to be able to post them for sale on here.

Click image for larger version

Name:	smgplugs.JPG
Views:	375
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	78662
                          Last edited by CSLManual; 01-12-2021, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CSLManual View Post
                            Anyone doing this, I now sell custom plugs to fit in the steering wheel where the paddles used to be. You may have seen them on Facebook briefly, I'm just waiting until I have enough posts to be able to post them for sale on here.

That’s excellent

Comment

Originally posted by CSLManual View Post

How much we talking?!?

Comment

Originally posted by Zack View Post

How much we talking?!?
                                details here: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/c...lugs#post79080

Comment

Working...
                                X