Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by George Hill View Post

I do not think that is your issue.
    You may be right. I took out the SMG ECU (I hadn't taken it out yet) and now the problem has not returned.

Comment

Where does the connector for the new gear position switch come from? It’s not the connector for the reverse switch correct?
      IG: https://www.instagram.com/mspir3d/

Comment

Has anyone had any luck purchasing the 61319122700 clutch switch recently? It seems like I can't find it anywhere and everyone just wants to send me the 35426876898 switch.

Comment

Originally posted by ejendow View Post
          Has anyone had any luck purchasing the 61319122700 clutch switch recently? It seems like I can't find it anywhere and everyone just wants to send me the 35426876898 switch.
          I just bought one from eEuroparts. Had to call to make sure, but it got the 61319122700 part. Sales guy had to look it up to make sure it was what was on the shelf.

Anyone need a 35426876898 clutch switch? Make you a hell of a deal!

Comment

Originally posted by Mspir3d View Post
            Where does the connector for the new gear position switch come from? It’s not the connector for the reverse switch correct?
            I can't remember exactly but I know that the connector was already under there, one of em was the reverse and only one other fit the GPS i just don't remember which one it was

Comment

Originally posted by wsybert View Post

I just bought one from eEuroparts. Had to call to make sure, but it got the 61319122700 part. Sales guy had to look it up to make sure it was what was on the shelf.

Anyone need a 35426876898 clutch switch? Make you a hell of a deal!
              good to know, I'll order it through them

Comment

I'm about to order the parts for converting a spare SMG to manual. Have a few questions for those who had done this.
                1. Is it necessary to install the gear recognition sensor? Is it only needed for display the gears and cruise control functions? Why the SMG system doesn't need this sensor?
                2. "Once the threads are cut as deep as they will go (the tap will stop when the end contacts the pressed bushing inside), clean out any excess grease and install your new shift detent, spring guide pin, and compression spring. Yes, these parts are different between the SMG and manual cars- do not try to reuse those from the SMG. Finally, screw in your new gear recognition sensor."
                OP described the process but he didn't say to remove the original pressed busing before installing the new parts. Since the SMG used the spring and this pressed bushing, the word pressed makes me think this pushing is an interference fit then why it has the compressed spring on its? What is the function of the original spring/bushing on the SMG box?

Edited: I think I know its function: to have detent on the odd and even gears, i.e, 1,3,5,R vs 2,4,6. I will not use the gear position sensor and leave the stock SMG detent parts alone.
                Last edited by sapote; 11-26-2020, 09:00 PM.

Comment

Anybody have the McMaster Carr part numbers for the modified bell housing parts: large coil spring, small ball bearing which connected to the shifter arm?

I found the info:
                  McMaster-Carr: Bearing - 5972K91 Torsion spring - 9271K125
                  Last edited by sapote; 11-26-2020, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Do anyone know what is this Torx screw for? It was listed on the original post.
                    Torx Screw, micro-encapsulated M8x25 GetBMWParts 23317586637
                    Edited: It is located on top of the gear box but I don't know what's for. on this diagram: S6s420g inner gear shifting parts

Last edited by sapote; 11-26-2020, 10:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DiegoD View Post
                      By the way, I have the instructions to code everything I downloaded a few years back from the old forum. Let me know how to upload them because I have no idea lol.
                      Could you copy and paste them to your post? This will be very helpful for all members.
                      Last edited by sapote; 11-26-2020, 09:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FoxFivePointOh View Post

Yep, it's from a car that came from the factory as a manual. Makes sense now. Wish I'd thought of it before, but it seemed like others have had success doing it this way.
                        How is this measured and is there a spec for it? It hasn't been run long so I might give it a try if I can track down shims.
                        Well, carefully with dial indicator one can measure the dimension on the tranny input shaft shoulder relative to the box mating surface, and the dimension of the input bearing to the BH mating surface, then calculate the needed shim thickness to have proper bearing preload.

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

I've been chasing a sloppy shifter ever since I got my car. Replaced all bushings multiple times. Latest thing I've done is replace all detent springs in the transmission and upgrade to an AutoSolutions autocross SSK. There was no slop between the transmission and shifter carrier even with the regular pin. There's still about 10mm of side to side play in my shifter.

I've basically given up now and am pretty certain that all the slop that's left is internal to the transmission. Looking at pictures of the bellhousing, there seem to be gaps between the detent bearing and the detent pins, which is potentially the source of the slop. At this point I'm just planning on swapping in an E92 335 transmission whenever I've run out of other things to do.

(Rant over) I you've got slop in that connection though, the SMG bolt thing might be worth doing. It'll also get rid of that stupid pin lol.
                          1) The 10mm plays was caused by the big coil spring was not bent correctly so when the spring end rested on the stop pin (or bolt), there is gap between the ball bearing and the 5/6 gear detent pin. Adjust the spring end until there is zero play between the ball bearing and the detent pin.

2) I have no idea what is the SMG bolt he was talking about. Anyone?

Comment

Do the SMG cars came with the clutch pedal stop buffer #35316750569 already installed? I don't see it listed on the required parts on first post.

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post

1) The 10mm plays was caused by the big coil spring was not bent correctly so when the spring end rested on the stop pin (or bolt), there is gap between the ball bearing and the 5/6 gear detent pin. Adjust the spring end until there is zero play between the ball bearing and the detent pin.

2) I have no idea what is the SMG bolt he was talking about. Anyone?
                              Part 6 on this diagram is the bolt: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=23_0898

I'll mess with my coil spring next time my transmission is out. Mine is an original 6 speed manual though. Mayne the thing has worn over time, but I can't imagine it wasn't bent correctly at the factory.
                              2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

So people prefer to use the SMG shifter bolt over the 6mt shifter clip/rod for a more solid mount? I thought the bolt was used bc SMG shifter mounted rigidly while the 6mt needs clip/rod for a little movement freedom from the shifter as the latter anchored to chassis.

Edited: the SMG bolt/nut will destroy the rubber bushing of the 6mt shifter arm due to its rough threads. The stock clip/rod has smooth surface acts as bearing.
                                Last edited by sapote; 11-27-2020, 03:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X