Moroso Aluminum Expansion Tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by STAATS View Post
    Okay finally just took delivery of the Moroso level sensor... First thing I will do is try and test the wiring and the switch mechanism to make sure it does indeed turn our coolant level light on/off on our dash as I would expect it too... then next I will look at if the thread of it matches up the the boss they already have in place for the coolant sight glass (as this would take any of the effort of an install out of the equation for others) and then finally I will look at doing my desired install which is to have the sensor in parallel with the sight glass so that as soon as the coolant is no longer visible in the sight glass the coolant level sensor is at its trigger point and sets the light off on the dash. this way you would still use the sight glass for check before runs / top ups etc but as soon as you cant see it in the coolant sight glass and it becomes an unknown you will get a warning on the dash. this will actually give a more advanced warning than the stock setup I believe and If you are monitoring you car and know you can see it in the sight glass then any situation where you have lost that ~200ml that would drop it below the sight glass level would be cause enough for me too pull off.

When i get a chance to start playing I will feedback any findings as well as photos where I can...
    I await with baited breath.
    Attached Files
    MVP Track Time

Comment

We've run the Moroso tanks on racecars without issue and I would do it again for them, but I don't think it's the right solution for a street car.
      '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Gray 332iT (SOLD), '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT
      Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
      Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Comment

Well just completed the first test - so the sensor reacts as expected. When the float opens the switch the dash displays the coolant level warning light. When the float closes the switch the dash coolant level warning light clears. There is a ~15sec delay between changing from open/close status to the dash reacting with the appropriate warning light or clearing of warning light.

So I can confirm this switch will successfully integrate with the stock wiring and dash system. Good start.

Comment

Mine split. I just replaced it with another unit off ebay and kept the old one in case I wanted to fix it.
          IG: https://www.instagram.com/mspir3d/

Comment

Okay second test completed. The sight glass thread DOES NOT match the coolant level switch thread. The sight glass thread appears to be straight cut and the sight glass has a seal of sorts for it to work whereas the coolant level switch appears to have a tapered thread of sorts... the coolant level switch goes in the first few threads and then starts going on weird angles (hard to capture in photos). so the install will 100% require the use of the weld-in bung that comes in the kit.

I took some photos of the bits that came, testing of the switch open/shut and trying to test the sight glass in the supplied weld-in bung and the switch in the sight glass bung etc to show how they dont match up. Please see gallery:

So final step is to install the weld-in bung provided... this won't be happening for some time... I need to remove the tank and the bracket as i will also need to weld on an attachment to the bracket for the Chase Bays Windscreen Wiper tank i am using... so that is a project for when i get time and go and see the welder... I will update on status and with photos once complete.

Comment

Originally posted by Mspir3d View Post
              Mine split. I just replaced it with another unit off ebay and kept the old one in case I wanted to fix it.
              Which tank split?

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
              2012 LMB/Black 128i
              2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
                Seems like a downgrade to me. Heavier, loses the sensor. I could see it in a car with a failure prone stock tank, but that’s not us.

Ian,

Not only its a downgrade what your pointing but there is another more critical downgrade.. !!!!

Keep the OEM.

Regards,
                Anri
                https://www.instagram.com/euroclassicmotors/.

www.euroclassicmotors.com

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

Which tank split?
                  The original bmw coolant overflow tank. After almost 200k hard miles I would take the chance on another one over the moroso.

Comment

Originally posted by Mspir3d View Post

The original bmw coolant overflow tank. After almost 200k hard miles I would take the chance on another one over the moroso.
                    I don’t think I’d try to repair it 😜

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                    2012 LMB/Black 128i
                    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200808_091313.jpg
Views:	580
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	48897 It looks like bmw glued the two sides together and the glue failed. I'll probably throw it away but it looks like it could be easily repaired.

Comment

The Non-Ms have an issue with the ETs because the ET sits against the hot end of the radiator AND (if equipped) has transmission cooler nearby. The non-M ETs see a lot more heat. The M3 tanks don't have this as a common issue. I wouldn't just go replace the OE tank but if mine were old or already split then why not?

I used a custom Canton Racing 2qt tank in the drug bin. It makes a significant difference with coolant temperatures since its a large aluminum heatsink. Combined with deleting the heater core loop, my water temps maybe get up to 205 degrees.

AND...you can use a higher pressure cap for more boilover protection. Good for a track car.

I've thought about welding a custom bung on the bottom of the tank and using the E36 coolant level sender. The E36 sender has a large threaded nut.
                        Last edited by bigjae46; 08-08-2020, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post
                          The Non-Ms have an issue with the ETs because the ET sits against the hot end of the radiator AND (if equipped) has transmission cooler nearby. The non-M ETs see a lot more heat. The M3 tanks don't have this as a common issue. I wouldn't just go replace the OE tank but if mine were old or already split then why not?

I used a custom Canton Racing 2qt tank in the drug bin. It makes a significant difference with coolant temperatures since its a large aluminum heatsink. Combined with deleting the heater core loop, my water temps maybe get up to 205 degrees.

AND...you can use a higher pressure cap for more boilover protection. Good for a track car.

I've thought about welding a custom bung on the bottom of the tank and using the E36 coolant level sender. The E36 sender has a large threaded nut.
                          Yer not sure everyones beef with the Moroso tank is... no one is trying to say its the best option out there its just an option thast perfectly fine and aside from weight (which is negligible compared to the pros the ally brings over plastic I believe) and cost the only beef is the coolant warning which once I install my Moroso sensor, goes away... then its a sunk cost I dont have to worry about anymore... I decided to trade a few 100 grams and some extra cash to never have to replace the ET ever again... thats a proposition that stacked up for me but may not stack up for others... Also if it even saves me having to pay to tow the car off a Tarmac Rally stage at the end of the day just once then it will have paid for itself financially so haha

Comment

Okay its taken forever but i finally have it welded into the tank. Check the latest photos in the album:

I also modified the bracket it sits on so I can now mount my Chase Bays Windscreen Washer tank in place of the SAP. If anyone is interested in that I can get that up in another thread.

Once I re-install Ill get some more pictures and confirm all is still working but it looks like I should be all set with a Moroso ET and a working dash warning light again

Comment

Okay i have just updated the album of some photos of the Moroso tank installed in the car with the level sensor in place... I have also filled the coolant and checked the dash light and it is all working... very very happy with the result:

Comment

Originally posted by STAATS View Post
                                Okay i have just updated the album of some photos of the Moroso tank installed in the car with the level sensor in place... I have also filled the coolant and checked the dash light and it is all working... very very happy with the result:
                                https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZymxiXvSRgXZsQpW6
                                And the crowd said "YEAH!" Thanks for the update STAATS.
                                MVP Track Time

Comment

Working...
                                X