Moroso Aluminum Expansion Tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Arith2 View Post
    Our expansion tanks are not prone to failure. If one fails, that doesn't make the failure the new rule.
    Literally no benefit. Not going to help with temps (unless it has a significantly bigger capacity) and a huge downgrade for not having a critical coolant level sensor (and it will be more uncomfortable should you touch it by mistake). Someone mentioned the metal will help it cool better (it won't) and contradicts people using metal heat shields for intakes vs plastic (I personally don't think it makes a lick of difference unless you have good airflow in which case, metal is better). Mine lasted 200k before it sprung a leak. It looks cool though, except for that stupid logo.
    Last edited by Icecream; 07-06-2020, 10:17 PM.

Comment

I've seen 2 M3 coolant bottles split at the seams in the last month over here in the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by Martyn View Post
        I've seen 2 M3 coolant bottles split at the seams in the last month over here in the UK.
        On the flip side, 89,998 didn't split their seams..
        Last edited by Icecream; 07-07-2020, 12:00 AM.

Comment

Our expansion tanks are not prone to failure. If one fails, that doesn't make the failure the new rule.
          Originally posted by Icecream View Post
          Literally no benefit. Not going to help with temps (unless it has a significantly bigger capacity) and a huge downgrade for not having a critical coolant level sensor (and it will be more uncomfortable should you touch it by mistake). Someone mentioned the metal will help it cool better (it won't) and contradicts people using metal heat shields for intakes vs plastic (I personally don't think it makes a lick of difference unless you have good airflow in which case, metal is better). Mine lasted 200k before it sprung a leak. It looks cool though, except for that stupid logo.
          This is a preventive measure. My car is towed to track events and races, often 8+ hours from home. Last thing I want is a popped coolant tank to keep me off track after towing 13 hours to COTA, 16 hours to VIR, 9 hours to Road Atlanta, etc.

Feff
          MVP Track Time

Comment

Originally posted by Feffman View Post

This is a preventive measure. My car is towed to track events and races, often 8+ hours from home. Last thing I want is a popped coolant tank to keep me off track after towing 13 hours to COTA, 16 hours to VIR, 9 hours to Road Atlanta, etc.

Feff
            If you're worried, buy a backup from FCP and carry it with you along with the other spare parts you have. It'll be cheaper to go that route.
            This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
            https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

After have 2 explode in a 330i and 328xi I'm a little gun shy on believing the dumb ass Germans can do anything right in the cooling system.

Comment

Originally posted by hemi6 View Post

After have 2 explode in a 330i and 328xi I'm a little gun shy on believing the dumb ass Germans can do anything right in the cooling system.
                Different cars that do, indeed, have failure prone tanks.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                2012 LMB/Black 128i
                2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

If you're worried, buy a backup from FCP and carry it with you along with the other spare parts you have. It'll be cheaper to go that route.
                  I'm not concerned about the cost, rather one less thing to deal with during a race weekend. Call it fixed for life (ish).

Feff
                  MVP Track Time

Comment

Originally posted by Feffman View Post

I'm not concerned about the cost, rather one less thing to deal with during a race weekend. Call it fixed for life (ish).

Feff
                    I'm not on board with the opposite of good being better. The stock tank on our car is very reliable-- pretty much bulletproof if you replace it at 100,000 mile intervals, with the rest of the cooling system. The Moroso loses the coolant temp sensor, probably makes for less accurate coolant level setting, is heavier, unproven, more expensive, and heavier.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                    2012 LMB/Black 128i
                    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

I'm not on board with the opposite of good being better. The stock tank on our car is very reliable-- pretty much bulletproof if you replace it at 100,000 mile intervals, with the rest of the cooling system. The Moroso loses the coolant temp sensor, probably makes for less accurate coolant level setting, is heavier, unproven, more expensive, and heavier.
                      The Moroso tank loses the coolant level sensor (part 17137553919) which is why I've reached out to Moroso to see if they can install their coolant level sensor and bung (https://www.moroso.com/catalog/produ...num-bung63950/) to the bottom of their coolant tank in the same place as on the plastic stock tank. This is what STAATS is looking at doing on his own.

Fortunately, I've never had a coolant tank failure on my M3 but I've seen two fail, one at Road Atlanta and one at Gateway, both on what appeared to be very well maintained cars.

Feff
                      MVP Track Time

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

I don't think me or Feff are running around trying to convince people the Moroso tank is the way to go... just given our build goals and the risks we want to take / money we want to spend we have decided that running the tank is a better option for us... for me it was after years of building FSAE cars and just enjoying how bulletproof well fabricated Ally tanks are vs anything plastic. Sure our stock tanks aren't exactly failure prone but whoever it was that suggested carrying a spare tank that seems stupid... when you could just have one that wont break so you dont have to be off track at all and wouldn't have the chance of not pulling off after a failure fast enough... in any case its a choice and if I can get this level sensor to work as Feff is also trying then really the only concession we have made aside from cost is some weight... which considering my category has a minimum weight anyway and I have stripped weight in so many other places, I am totally cool with...

Comment

Ugh COVID-19 has delayed the Moroso shipment again so looking like end of this month of early next to get the level sensor... not the worst as I am in the final stages of a CF Roof install and my regular welder who will weld on the tank is busy for the next few weeks but still annoying and delays the testing...

Comment

Also coincidentally stumbled across a very similar conversation over on M3Cutters: https://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/threa...-a-diy.228776/

They use some other kind of aftermarket level sensor and doesnt look like it uses an Aluminium boss so I dont like it as much as a potentially solution vs the Moroso sensor but still looks like it does the trick.

Comment

Okay finally just took delivery of the Moroso level sensor... First thing I will do is try and test the wiring and the switch mechanism to make sure it does indeed turn our coolant level light on/off on our dash as I would expect it too... then next I will look at if the thread of it matches up the the boss they already have in place for the coolant sight glass (as this would take any of the effort of an install out of the equation for others) and then finally I will look at doing my desired install which is to have the sensor in parallel with the sight glass so that as soon as the coolant is no longer visible in the sight glass the coolant level sensor is at its trigger point and sets the light off on the dash. this way you would still use the sight glass for check before runs / top ups etc but as soon as you cant see it in the coolant sight glass and it becomes an unknown you will get a warning on the dash. this will actually give a more advanced warning than the stock setup I believe and If you are monitoring you car and know you can see it in the sight glass then any situation where you have lost that ~200ml that would drop it below the sight glass level would be cause enough for me too pull off.

When i get a chance to start playing I will feedback any findings as well as photos where I can...

Comment

Originally posted by jayjpl View Post
                                Anyone here have experience with the Moroso Expansion Tank? I've heard the moshimoto ET for the non-m is terrible and that plastic is better, is this the same for the Moroso one? It costs a bit more than the OE, so I'm curious if its worth the switch.
                                It's a waste of money; stay with the stock BMW tank.

Comment

Working...
                                X