No announcement yet.

Porsche Brembo 996 BBK conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tbone, Do you happen to know the torque values for the adapter to the king pin? Also the caliper to the adapter?
    2005 BMW M3 ZCP Black/Black - HTE Tuning | Kassel CSL DME | 288/280 Schrick Cams+DLC Followers | Lang Head | Dinan TBs | Bosch 550cc | Radium Fuel System | Karbonious CSL Airbox+OE Snorkel | SS V1 Stepped+Catted Sec 1+Resonated Twin Pipe+Race | 3.91, 3 stage clutch | FCM 400/600 | Vorshlag Camber Plates, RSM | Rogue ASP | AKG FCABs, SFBs | TMS Front Sway, Camber Arms, Monoball RTABs, Pullies | Mason Race Strut + X-Brace | AS 30% SSK | SPAL | Redish Plates | Turbo Toys V2 Hub | WPC Rod Bearings

Comment

No sorry. Have you looked at Rallyroad's webpage for the calipers? There's good info on there. I don't remember any brackets I've bought coming with instructions now that I think about it.
      DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
      /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
      More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by duracellttu View Post

Thanks!! Looking forward to your DIY. This is on my quarantine project list and hoping to tackle it very soon.
        I finished my install on Monday. working on the DIY right now. I just finished writing up the Front. I hope to get the write up for the rear by tomorrow. I'll make a new post by Friday at the latest. I will not repeat the material that on here rather concentrate on the install part of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
          No sorry. Have you looked at Rallyroad's webpage for the calipers? There's good info on there. I don't remember any brackets I've bought coming with instructions now that I think about it.
          Emailed Eric from Rally Road and here is what he told me:
          • Adapter bracket to knuckle:
            • Front: 50 ft-lb
            • Rear: 45 ft-lb
          • Front caliper to adapter bracket (7/16-20 nuts): 35ft-lb max
          • Rear caliper to adapter bracket (M12 socket head cap screws): 45-50 ft-lb

Originally posted by xpme46m3 View Post
          I finished my install on Monday. working on the DIY right now. I just finished writing up the Front. I hope to get the write up for the rear by tomorrow. I'll make a new post by Friday at the latest. I will not repeat the material that on here rather concentrate on the install part of it.
          It will be a great addition to the thread, so thanks for taking the time to write it all up!
          2005 BMW M3 ZCP Black/Black - HTE Tuning | Kassel CSL DME | 288/280 Schrick Cams+DLC Followers | Lang Head | Dinan TBs | Bosch 550cc | Radium Fuel System | Karbonious CSL Airbox+OE Snorkel | SS V1 Stepped+Catted Sec 1+Resonated Twin Pipe+Race | 3.91, 3 stage clutch | FCM 400/600 | Vorshlag Camber Plates, RSM | Rogue ASP | AKG FCABs, SFBs | TMS Front Sway, Camber Arms, Monoball RTABs, Pullies | Mason Race Strut + X-Brace | AS 30% SSK | SPAL | Redish Plates | Turbo Toys V2 Hub | WPC Rod Bearings

Comment

I've consolidated a bunch of information into a single document for the Porsche 996 Brembo rebuild and parts needed. This was pieced together from several threads on the old forum and weeded out a lot of misinformation that was circulated. Hope it's helpful for anybody else looking to do this in the future. See the attached file.
            Attached Files

Comment

Anyone know where I can get internal seals and dust seala for 996 porsche calipers ??
              porsche direct doesn't even sell the internal seals only dust seals...
              Currently doing this DIY
              Also rebuilding the Calipers

Thanks 🤙🏾

Comment

Yes, Ohioperformance. Last I checked, the full front and rear kit was sold out, but you can check. They are stoptech centric seals. I'll discuss them in my diy above, but be warned, they're not as nice as brembo. Out of 16, 1 or 2 might be poorly cut, possibly so bad, you can't get the piston in. The dust boots are super thin so be gentle. The included special lube is a great touch and pricing is the best.

Comment

What’s the ideal rotor/pad setup for this kit if you track the car 3-4 times a year?
                  • 2006 AW/IR Manual
                  • Karbonius Race / Alpha- N
                  • Supersprint
                  • KW V3
                  • 996 Brembo
                  • ZCP / PSS

Comment

What's listed above (stock bmw/porsche) might be sufficient depending on speed and how hard you dive into corners and also if you can let them cool down in some spots (if not going for PBs) Luckiy, there's an abundance of pad options, but you're limited with rotors. The bmw rotors are known to be "soft" and/or crack, so if you buy from FCPeuro, with free replacements, you don't have to worry about longevity.

I would search rennlist or 6speedonline to see what 996 or 986/987 turbo guys are running on track days. Pad changes take 2 minutes as well!

I think there was a thread about this in tge old track section of M3F, so maybe start another on this forum in the track section?

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
                      What's listed above (stock bmw/porsche) might be sufficient depending on speed and how hard you dive into corners and also if you can let them cool down in some spots (if not going for PBs) Luckiy, there's an abundance of pad options, but you're limited with rotors. The bmw rotors are known to be "soft" and/or crack, so if you buy from FCPeuro, with free replacements, you don't have to worry about longevity.

I would search rennlist or 6speedonline to see what 996 or 986/987 turbo guys are running on track days. Pad changes take 2 minutes as well!

I think there was a thread about this in tge old track section of M3F, so maybe start another on this forum in the track section?
                      The pad change is amazing lol. What are your thoughts on porsche textar pads? And do you operate on your car your self? or do you have a specific shop? Just curious cause im located in socal as well. Thanks!
                      • 2006 AW/IR Manual
                      • Karbonius Race / Alpha- N
                      • Supersprint
                      • KW V3
                      • 996 Brembo
                      • ZCP / PSS

Comment

Originally posted by M3NTO_M View Post
                        Anyone know where I can get internal seals and dust seala for 996 porsche calipers ??
                        porsche direct doesn't even sell the internal seals only dust seals...
                        Currently doing this DIY
                        Also rebuilding the Calipers

Thanks 🤙🏾
                        Take a look at my post above with the PDF file. I list sources for the seals. If you want Brembo brand (which I ended up getting) they are harder to source, and more expensive, but I found them at Hoerr Racing online.
                        Last edited by duracellttu; 04-02-2020, 07:51 AM.

Comment

I used Racing Brake (RB) seals and pistons when I rebuilt my calipers. Pricing and quality was great from them, if anybody is looking for a non-OEM solution.
                          (Pistons especially are impossible to find if you need to rebuild)

Also, to the comment above ^ OE Porsche textar pads are quite good. I run them for street and auto-X, and have tracked them too with good results. I'd switch them for something more dedicated for heavy track use, but otherwise they should be more than adequate.
                          TiAG 6mt Coupe | KARBONIUS | SUPERSPRINT | FIKSE WHEELS | OEM CSL | MILE END COMPOSITES | AST 5200 | HOTCHKIS | BREMBO | RECARO | BEISAN | CATCAMS | CP-CARILLO | TMS | RTD | ROGUE ENGINEERING | AKG MOTORSPORT | HTE PERFORMANCE

Comment

Yes, stock textars are FF rated, so no, not a track pad, but highest temp rating for a street pad.

I've only found the limit of the pads during bedding. Did a canyon run last year and it was great. And I'm not easy on the car at all.

bassel, I diy it all including install. I've done a couple local cars too.

Comment

There are four options I found for seal and boot kits. Brembo, Racingbrake, Stoptech, and Centric. Porsche was not an option as they offer only the dust boots. The hardware I used was genuine Porsche, purchased primarily from Pelican. Hoerr Racing is good source for genuine Brembo parts. I also had 4 pistons I wanted to replace. Finding the pistons was a bit of a challenge.

Brembo/Porsche part numbers:
                              Front Caliper, Dust Boot (36mm): Brembo Part #BRE-20.4872.44
                              Front Caliper, Dust Boot (40mm): Brembo Part #BRE-20.4872.46
                              Rear Caliper, Dust Boot (28mm): Brembo Part #BRE-20.4872.40
                              Rear Caliper, Dust Boot (30mm): Brembo Part #BRE-20.4872.41
                              Front Caliper, Piston Seal (36mm): Brembo Part #BRE-10.55955.56
                              Front Caliper, Piston Seal (40mm): Brembo Part #BRE-10.55955.58
                              Rear Caliper, Piston Seal (28mm): Brembo Part #BRE-10.55955.52
                              Rear Caliper, Piston Seal (30mm): Brembo Part #BRE-10.55955.53
                              Brake Bleeder (sold in pairs – 4 pairs req): OE Porsche Part # 930-351-919-00
                              Front Caliper, (Left) Hydraulic Connecting Line: OE Porsche Part #996-351-961-00
                              Front Caliper, (Right) Hydraulic Connecting Line: OE Porsche Part #996-351-962-00
                              Rear Caliper, (Left) Hydraulic Connecting Line: OE Porsche Part #996-352-961-00
                              Rear Caliper, (Right) Hydraulic Connecting Line: OE Porsche Part #996-352-962-00
                              Brake Hardware Kit (Front): OE Porsche Part #996-351-959-01
                              Brake Hardware Kit (Rear): OE Porsche Part #996-352-959-01
                              Brake Pad Shims (Front): OEM Part #996-351-088-02
                              Brake Pad Shims (Rear, 28mm): OEM Part #996-352-086-02
                              Brake Pad Shims (Rear, 30mm): OEM Part #996-352-086-00

A complete set of genuine Brembo seals, dust boots, bleeder screws, and bleeder screw caps from Hoerr Racing came to $475.00 with tax and shipping. Time for more shopping.

Racingbrake offers seal and boot kits as well as stainless pistons. Their pistons will not accommodate brake pad shims, so this eliminated them for me. If you don’t care about using shims you may want to consider them.

After eliminating the Racingbrake pistons I did a lot of searching before I found out that Stoptech pistons are a direct replacement for the Brembo pistons. Zeckhausen Racing has a great page with all of the specs: https://www.zeckhausen.com/catalog/i...Path=6446_6472 Before ordering I gave Zeckhausen a call to confirm that they would fit. Dave Zeckhausen was kind enough to spend about 35 minutes on the phone with me answering questions. He confirmed that the Stoptech pistons are commonly used in the 996 Brembo and took the time to explain that while Centric owns Stoptech, there is a difference between the Centric and Stoptech boot and seal kits. They both use the same boots, but the Stoptech seals are made to withstand the higher temperatures of track use. Because my M3 is never going to see the track he recommended that I go with the Centric kits. I told him that I read a bunch on the web both for and against the Stoptech kits, with the negative reports centered around dust boots that would not stay seated. He confirmed that this had been a problem, and that it had been corrected. I went ahead an ordered the Centric boot and seal kits along with the pistons. He also strongly recommended the Centric caliper assembly fluid, so I went for that as well. After using it I would recommend it as well. Makes the job much easier than when using brake fluid. The boots fit nice and snug, and so far, show no signs of popping out. I will report back if this changes.

The Stoptech boot and seal kits can be had on eBay cheaper than at Zeckhausen, but the time and help he gave was well worth a few extra bucks to me. Zeckhausen also has several useful tech articles: https://www.zeckhausen.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=6446

Jesse
                              Old, not obsolete.

Comment

Tools..

Make sure you have an 11mm line wrench. The metric set I bought way back when did not include an 11mm.

I would definitely recommend a power bleeder. I got the Motive Kit from ECS and it made bleeding the system a breeze.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2626.jpg
Views:	1827
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	5814
                                Old, not obsolete.

Comment

Working...
                                X