No announcement yet.

Porsche Brembo 996 BBK conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After I got my calipers back from the paint shop I decided to go ahead and apply ceramic paint protection. After all this work, and the cost of having them painted, I figured it would be worth it to help keep them looking good. I don't have any previous experience with this stuff, so I relied on Obsessed Garage. He recommends the GTechniq C5 Wheel Armor, which GTechniq markets for calipers as well. It was pretty easy to apply. We'll see how well it works.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2612.jpg
Views:	1291
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	5817

Old, not obsolete.

Comment

Pretty blue! What color car and wheels?
      DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
      /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
      More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Thanks. SilberGrau and silver. I was afraid I would regret not going with yellow, but once I got them back I was happy with my choice.
        Old, not obsolete.

Comment

* I'm seeing a lot of people (or the shop who does it for them) paint the 4 pad pins on the caliper. The metal backing plate of the brake pad rides on those pins (pressure is applied downwards by the spring clip). I'm not saying it's the end of the world, the paint will probably just get chewed off, but those pins are meant to be bare metal. I even lube them and the pad plate edge w/ high temp ceramic paste because it's metal to metal and there's movement (not much tbf)

Comment

Originally posted by D-O View Post
            Thanks. SilberGrau and silver. I was afraid I would regret not going with yellow, but once I got them back I was happy with my choice.
            I was actually contemplating doing blue recently as I was refinishing my own calipers. I decided to give yellow one more shot, doing my best job. Can't go wrong with grey/yellow, but my friend has silvergrey m3 as well and he's doing blue (like the roundel blue - royal) with csl wheels and I'm excited to see it!

Comment

Yeah, I wondered about paint on the pins, but they had plenty of red on them when I bought the calipers, so I figured it would not cause a problem. We shall see.

The color is BMW Estoril Blue II Metallic (code B45). It is very close to the color BMW is currently using on their sport calipers.

Jesse
              Old, not obsolete.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2612.jpg Views:	0 Size:	149.7 KB ID:	5817
                I was originally going to go with a Blue just like this but ended up keeping them Red due to the fact the original Brembo Red paint was in such good shape. This Blue reminds me of the Yamaha R1 Blue on my 2002 R1 back in the day. Post up some pictures when you get these installed.

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	1450
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	5918
                Last edited by WOLFN8TR; 04-02-2020, 07:13 PM.
                TTFS Engine/SMG Tune - CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA
                Brembo 996 - ARC-8's - BWS 500S 9k/11k - Valentine 1 - BlueBus - Orion V4's
                Evolve Eventuri
                - VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser/CSL Trunk

Comment

I really wanted yellow calipers on my car, but on Pheonix Yellow, it wasn't going to happen. I ended up with silver. Blue wouldn't have been a bad option... Either way, your calipers look great.
                  E46 324i k24/dct/turbo Build Thread
                  Phoenix Yellow e46m3 Build Thread

Comment

So the RR rear brackets according to them dont require any machining ?
                    • 2006 AW/IR Manual
                    • Karbonius Race / Alpha- N
                    • Supersprint
                    • KW V3
                    • 996 Brembo
                    • ZCP / PSS

Comment

No brackets require machining, unless you're talking about somehow cutting down the CM(ECS) rear brackets to allow taller base boxtser front pads to fit on inside. On that note, Hassan suggested, if you have ECS rear brackets, to cut down the metal backing plate of the taller inside pad so they'll fit.

Rear calipers require no machining no matter which (ECS/RR/P0lar) brackets are used.
                      Last edited by Tbonem3; 04-03-2020, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Started my DIY Install thread here - https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...on-install-diy

I have work tomorrow morning so Im turning in for the night. I'll upload the pics tomorrow and provide the missing parts.

Comment

Here are a couple of shots of the calipers installed. They blue does not pop the way yellow does, but I am happy with it.

Name:	IMG_2635-2.jpg
Views:	914
Size:	299.9 KB
ID:	6466 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2633-2.jpg
Views:	918
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	6467
                          Attached Files
                          Old, not obsolete.

Comment

Looks really good!
                            Evolve Eventuri

Comment

I had asked in the old thread whether it’s possible to keep the factory red paint but remove “Porsche” and replace with decals. Just tried today and the answer is yes — wet sand by hand with 1000 or 2000 grit and you will have the Porsche logo removed within 15 seconds. It’s under or inside the clear coat somehow so you’ll take that off as well and haze the paint. I’m currently waiting for a couple spots that I touched up with VHT red to dry and will clear the front tomorrow to see if the haziness goes away. Click image for larger version

Name:	E0E08FAC-FB87-4D0B-9E87-49FF6199F73E.jpeg
Views:	905
Size:	181.7 KB
ID:	6945

Comment

Looks Good! I ended up using Q-tips and gasoline to remove mine. It was not fun getting them off but it didn't mess up the paint just faded the clear. Used VHT clear and applied one coat first then applied the Brembo decal.
                                Evolve Eventuri

Comment

Working...
                                X