Porsche Brembo 996 BBK conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by repoman89 View Post

Sort of answering myself after reading this thread again and Rennlist a bunch. There are enough negative experiences over there with Centric and Stoptech branded seals (which are not the same by the way) to scare me away from them for a safety critical item .. seals either too lose or too tight. Brembo is more like $400 so that’s out. The other two options are racingbrake for just under $300 and girodisc at just under $200. Seems like the Rennlist folks have good things to say about both, so I’ll be trying out the girodisc kits.
    I bought the centric kits and they were unusable. all of the seals for the smaller diameter pistons on all 4 calipers were far too small. I do not recommend the Centric kits.

Comment

Sort of answering myself after reading this thread again and Rennlist a bunch. There are enough negative experiences over there with Centric and Stoptech branded seals (which are not the same by the way) to scare me away from them for a safety critical item .. seals either too lose or too tight. Brembo is more like $400 so that’s out. The other two options are racingbrake for just under $300 and girodisc at just under $200. Seems like the Rennlist folks have good things to say about both, so I’ll be trying out the girodisc kits.
      Assuming your first name starts with A, I saw your order come in with the note -- I'll make sure the appropriate p/n are shipped to you.

Fronts are CCRK1-031 (https://www.girodisc.com/Girodisc-Fr...-S_p_6508.html) and rears are CCRK2-031 (https://www.girodisc.com/Girodisc-Re...-S_p_6507.html). You can also find them on the website under the 987 Cayman S/Boxster S category, or by searching the part numbers.
      '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Originally posted by r4dr View Post

Assuming your first name starts with A, I saw your order come in with the note -- I'll make sure the appropriate p/n are shipped to you.

Fronts are CCRK1-031 (https://www.girodisc.com/Girodisc-Fr...-S_p_6508.html) and rears are CCRK2-031 (https://www.girodisc.com/Girodisc-Re...-S_p_6507.html). You can also find them on the website under the 987 Cayman S/Boxster S category, or by searching the part numbers.
        Lol! Yeah, that’s me. I did look for the one labeled for rears, but I guess not hard enough. Thanks for looking out.

Anyone else looking to rebuild, ^these seem like a great option. I spent way too long reading about the different kits out there.

Comment

Lol! Yeah, that’s me. I did look for the one labeled for rears, but I guess not hard enough. Thanks for looking out.

Anyone else looking to rebuild, ^these seem like a great option. I spent way too long reading about the different kits out there.
          It's common knowledge around here that the website doesn't cut it, and this is an example of why. Big part of my job here is relaunching it.

If anyone has any general questions about the products, I'm happy to answer but really I'm here as an enthusiast with an E46 M3 myself. I can tell you that the seals are made from the same material as a company that starts with B, and that the issues with certain other companies' seals mentioned in this thread are something we've seen many times before, plus more. Feel free to call and chat with our sales guy Mike -- he's great -- but just want to clarify that I'm not on here with the intent to sling products lol.

Comment

For what it's worth. I didn't have any issues with my Centric seals fitment. Used lots of assembly lube and everything went in with some elbow grease.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

Comment

I speak about the quality/fitment of the stoptech (centric) seals/boots one page 1, particularly in the section about rebuilding the 996 calipers.

Good inside info r4dr!
              DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
              /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
              More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Anyone tried the rallyroad machining service? Having a hard time finding a shop that will shave 5.5mm locally. Also does the $100 cover return shipping? It didnt say in their website.

Comment

So far had very good experience with stoptech seals and dust boots, just recently refreshed my calipers had about 50 track days on them everything was looking just fine, on my prior rebuild used them as well and everything was good as well, can't say I had bad experience with them can't complain

Comment

Rear calipers with allegedly 40k miles arrived. Dust boots look good. Gonna test the seals soon. The original plan was to just slap the calipers on, but given the meh condition, I’m gonna spend $30 to do a DIY refinish. Will be trying to somewhat match the StopTech fronts, so I’ll be using VHT engine enamel Nu-Cast Iron, red Brembo stickers, and engine enamel clear. Would prefer a matte clear but VHT doesn’t offer one.

Click image for larger version

Name:	06E9DB5C-5518-47C3-8075-38695F79D03E.jpeg
Views:	432
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	84702 Click image for larger version

Name:	957A2547-7AB7-4EFA-9DC3-BF0673D26967.jpeg
Views:	415
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	84703
                    Silver Track to Street Car Journal
                    Interlagos Blue Street Car Journal

Comment

Originally posted by SQ13 View Post
                      Rear calipers with allegedly 40k miles arrived. Dust boots look good. Gonna test the seals soon. The original plan was to just slap the calipers on, but given the meh condition, I’m gonna spend $30 to do a DIY refinish. Will be trying to somewhat match the StopTech fronts, so I’ll be using VHT engine enamel Nu-Cast Iron, red Brembo stickers, and engine enamel clear. Would prefer a matte clear but VHT doesn’t offer one.
                      Can't wait to see how those turn out.

Comment

Would anyone happen to know if the rear calipers can fit a rotor 32mm wide? Is there enough room with fresh pads?

Comment

Would anyone happen to know if the rear calipers can fit a rotor 32mm wide? Is there enough room with fresh pads?
                          There’s definitely not enough room for 32mm rotor, the only other option you might have is to run a 996 gt3 caliper with polar bracket that will allow you to run thicker rotor but not sure still about 32mm, why 32mm in the rear ? that sounds unnecessary overkill stock is 20mm most people opt for 24mm in the rear, by any chance did mean the front maybe 🤔 as that’s common thickness for the front?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Radekxpl View Post

There’s definitely not enough room for 32mm rotor, the only other option you might have is to run a 996 gt3 caliper with polar bracket that will allow you to run thicker rotor but not sure still about 32mm, why 32mm in the rear ? that sounds unnecessary overkill stock is 20mm most people opt for 24mm in the rear, by any chance did mean the front maybe 🤔 as that’s common thickness for the front?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                            I'm using the Megane RS Brembo calipers up front and I've confirmed they can only fit a 30mm-thick disc. I'd like to run 345x28 in the rear, but I was wondering if a 355x32 would fit. Right now I'm tossing around the idea of 360x30 up front (E9X M3 size) with 345x28 in the rear (D737 swept height matches the Brembo disc annulus perfectly). Front and rear diameters would go up by around 4-5% front and rear while keeping everything else constant so I don't think it would throw the bias % off by any noticeable amount compared to a Megane RS front/996 rear setup with 345/328 ZCP rotors. I still have to do the math though.

Comment

The pads won’t allow a 32mm thick rotor. Based on my previous tinkering, I used a front rotor which is 28mm thick, and the pads make contact with the vane part of the rotor. I’ll try to take pictures later on today.

Without the pads, the 28mm rotors fits fine, plenty of room on both side, so if you really want a 28mm rotor, maybe you could grind down the pads a bit.
                              Formally SWRTstang_M3 on M3forum.net with a join date of 07/2004

Comment

Does anyone have any news/ updates in terms of fcpeuro offering track pads for this setup? As of now it seems that ferodo ds2500 is the only “track” option

Comment

Working...
                                X