Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M3 owners with CSL Airbox: How do you pass smog?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fattycharged View Post
    Simple, don't bother registering

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You Houston boys are wild 🤠

No zoning laws, just straight up do whatever the hell y'all want with your 20 lane highways next to your 10 lane feeders
    /// 2004 SG/IR - Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by ugaexploder View Post

You Houston boys are wild 🤠

No zoning laws, just straight up do whatever the hell y'all want with your 20 lane highways next to your 10 lane feeders
      I'd rather pay the fines every 2-3 years if/when I get pulled over the few times a year I actually drive one of the fun cars.

I figure it's a solid gamble in this dump of a city

Comment

I was having trouble getting my full CSL tune with Map sensor to connect to illinois emissions so I bought a second ECU and had HTE put an alpha N tune on that which supposedly communicates better with emissions. I just have to swap ECUs and I am done. Luckily, Illinois doesn't look at your intake, etc so I don't have to swap the airbox
        2004 Silver Grey - Manual - Slick top - Manual Cloth Seats

Comment

Bought the car from a seller in MN and I don't plan on registering it here in CA. Just have my MN Pinkslip in hand and I pay the PO yearly $35 for the registration tags. If I get pulled over, I'm going to just say I recently bought the car, it's my grace period.

California is the worst when it comes to air, damn AirNazi's in this state. They punish the hell out of Californians and the whole country/world shares the air, makes no sense.

I haven't started any engine modifications, but I have a Karbonius waiting to go in, meanwhile I'm sorting out the rest of the exhaust system.

Comment

I still have my Mexico plates. I planned to register but the hassle is a lot, so I am procrastinating on that. But I drive it once a month if that.

Comment

Originally posted by WestBankM4 View Post
              Bought the car from a seller in MN and I don't plan on registering it here in CA. Just have my MN Pinkslip in hand and I pay the PO yearly $35 for the registration tags. If I get pulled over, I'm going to just say I recently bought the car, it's my grace period.

California is the worst when it comes to air, damn AirNazi's in this state. They punish the hell out of Californians and the whole country/world shares the air, makes no sense.

I haven't started any engine modifications, but I have a Karbonius waiting to go in, meanwhile I'm sorting out the rest of the exhaust system.
              So I’m guessing the title is in your name, but the registration is under the PO’s? Dude seems pretty chill if that’s the case lol.
              Silver Track to Street Car Journal
              Interlagos Blue Street Car Journal

Comment

Originally posted by SQ13 View Post

So I'm guessing the title is in your name, but the registration is under the PO's? Dude seems pretty chill if that's the case lol.
                Bingo, I have the pink slip in my hand but the cars technically still in the PO's name, he just registers it for me yearly and I send him money for the tags.

Great setup and I made sure before buying it this could be a possibility. He loves the car, original owner and asked for the first right of refusal in case I ever sell it. I told him not to worry, she's not going anywhere.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by EthanolTurbo View Post
                  I got my M3 smog exempted here in CA. No more smog for me.
                  Interesting…

Comment

Originally posted by WestBankM4 View Post
                    Bingo, I have the pink slip in my hand but the cars technically still in the PO's name, he just registers it for me yearly and I send him money for the tags.

Great setup and I made sure before buying it this could be a possibility. He loves the car, original owner and asked for the first right of refusal in case I ever sell it. I told him not to worry, she's not going anywhere.

Bruh kick him down a c-note at least.
                    2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

I've passed DEQ (smog check) here in Oregon with CSL software without issue. I have individual runners with filters. They don't pop your hood, just read readiness checks in the DME.
                      Phoenix Yellow e46m3 Build Thread
                      Japanrot Red E46 330i Msport k24/dct/turbo Build Thread

Comment

Might just run alpha-N until my car is considered a classic in GA and no longer needs emissions testing (25 years), then go to MAP
                        /// 2004 SG/IR - Build Thread

Comment

There are a few smog exempt counties in California believe it or not. I don’t know how easy it would be to register a car there if you don’t actually have a physical address there though.

Or, there’s always Montana etc…
                          http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
                          '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
                          '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Originally posted by Nate047 View Post
                            There are a few smog exempt counties in California believe it or not. I don't know how easy it would be to register a car there if you don't actually have a physical address there though.

Or, there's always Montana etc…
                            First time I heard of this.

A handful of us should go in on a property together. Charge annually for "roommates". We can tell the authorities, yes the house is full of 50 people and yes we all own E46 M3's.

Comment

I've looked into this for other purposes, but it applies here. It costs about a grand to have a company that specializes in this sort of thing, create an LLC in Montana and have a car transferred over to the LLC. After that you have to pay about $250 each year for them to renew your registration for you. Montana doesn't have emissions/safety inspections.

Comment

The Montana thing is starting to get cracked down on. They even have a hotline setup so you can report people for it. Seems risky imo.

Comment

Working...
                                X