S54 Vanos Info Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cfdfireman1 View Post
    Per Raj @ Beisan the sweet tooth is BS ya don't need to do this step..
    Wether it’s β€œBS” or not that step takes just a few minutes. I personally want full range of the spline.

Thanks for your contribution to the community. πŸ€“
    Last edited by WOLFN8TR; 12-11-2020, 03:29 PM.
    TTFS Engine/SMG Tune - CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA
    Brembo 996 - ARC-8's - BWS 500S 9k/11k - Valentine 1 - BlueBus - Orion V4's
    Evolve Eventuri
    - VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser/CSL Trunk

Comment

WOLFN8TR;
      Vanos won't work properly if this isn't done?

I guess the real question is if I didn't learn about this sweet tooth before I did the vanos updates and the car runs great should I pull the vanos off and find that sweet tooth?
      Last edited by cfdfireman1; 12-11-2020, 11:01 AM.

Comment

WOLFN8TR;

I guess the real question is if I didn't learn about this sweet tooth before I did the vanos updates and the car runs great should I pull the vanos off and find that sweet tooth?
        I didn't say it wouldn't work, I prefer having the full range of the spline. If it passes the Vanos test and runs fine your good.
        TTFS Engine/SMG Tune - CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA
        Brembo 996 - ARC-8's - BWS 500S 9k/11k - Valentine 1 - BlueBus - Orion V4's
        Evolve Eventuri
        - VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser/CSL Trunk

Comment

WOLFN8TR;

The working range of the VANOS is shorter than the whole travel of the splines, and so don't worry if it works for you. I never care for the sweet tooth. As long as when the VANOS was bolted down to the head and the hub had enough slot range to turn before you torqued down the 6 hub bolts, then it was fine. If the slots were not enough then bolting down the VANOS would cause the cam to turn and the bridge pin would let you know it failed the test.

Comment

I'm about to place a Besian order. Is my logic sound?
            -Currently at 75k miles
            -I drive ~3k miles per year
            -The work will be done by a friend of a friend BMW mechanic for cash on a weekend

Click image for larger version

Name:	Besian Order.png
Views:	434
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	113861

Solenoid Coil Pack = NO. This job seems easy enough that I could do it myself in the future. Why replace something non-catastrophic that may never fail during my ownership?

Sealing Plate Repair Kit = YES.

Seals Repair Kit = YES.

Rattle Repair Kit + Tools = NO. After adding the S62 diaphragm springs, this seems like a lot to spend to prevent a harmless noise that may never present itself.

Oil Pump Disk = YES.

Exhaust Upper Chain Guide = YES.

Exhaust Sprocket Hub = NO.

Comment

Originally posted by OEM3 View Post
              I'm about to place a Besian order. Is my logic sound?
              -Currently at 75k miles
              -I drive ~3k miles per year
              -The work will be done by a friend of a friend BMW mechanic for cash on a weekend

Click image for larger version

Name:	Besian Order.png
Views:	434
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	113861

Solenoid Coil Pack = NO. This job seems easy enough that I could do it myself in the future. Why replace something non-catastrophic that may never fail during my ownership?

Sealing Plate Repair Kit = YES.

Seals Repair Kit = YES.

Rattle Repair Kit + Tools = NO. After adding the S62 diaphragm springs, this seems like a lot to spend to prevent a harmless noise that may never present itself.

Oil Pump Disk = YES.

Exhaust Upper Chain Guide = YES.

Exhaust Sprocket Hub = NO.
              Have your original disc re-drilled it possible, this is a critical that you have proper fitment and your original disc has its own wear pattern etc. , and good to go on everything else. I also agree with skipping the anti-rattle, I did it just because but it just introduces more potential issues than it solves imo.
              2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
              Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
              Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
              RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
              Instagram

Comment

Or you can just confirm the dimensions and bore of the machined disk match up with your stock disk.
                2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post

Have your original disc re-drilled it possible, this is a critical that you have proper fitment and your original disc has its own wear pattern etc. , and good to go on everything else. I also agree with skipping the anti-rattle, I did it just because but it just introduces more potential issues than it solves imo.
                  Roger, I'll call Raj @ Beisan to see how quick he can turnaround a disk.

Does just replacing the upper chain guide avoid the potential issues (I assume associated with timing)? I see Beisan has it as part of the rattle procedure
                  Last edited by OEM3; 07-08-2021, 09:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post
                    Or you can just confirm the dimensions and bore of the machined disk match up with your stock disk.
                    It's not easy to measure the pump piston bores on the new disk to match with the old pistons. And also the center shaft hole dimension too. They are all critical dimension to have good oil pressure.
                    I agreed with Caubie that it's best to keep the stock disk and fre-drill new smaller holes.

Comment

Originally posted by OEM3 View Post

Roger, I'll call Raj @ Beisan to see how quick he can turnaround a disk.

Does just replacing the upper chain guide avoid the potential issues (I assume associated with timing)? I see Beisan has it as part of the rattle procedure
                      I *think* you can replace the upper guide w/o removing the hub bolts (thus losing timing), but you mentioned the S62 diaphragms, to install those you must remove the hub bolts.

Instagram

Comment

I *think* you can replace the upper guide w/o removing the hub bolts (thus losing timing), but you mentioned the S62 diaphragms, to install those you must remove the hub bolts.
                        I don't think you can. Chain has to come off of at least the exhaust sprocket so that there's enough room.
                        2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

I don't think you can. Chain has to come off of at least the exhaust sprocket so that there's enough room.
                          Even with the tensioner removed? I guess it would be quite tight.

He should be fine as long as when final timing doesn't go 100% according to the internet instructions he doesn't make 5 threads about it like other people have...
                          Last edited by Cubieman; 07-08-2021, 02:30 PM.

Instagram

Comment

Even with the tensioner removed? I guess it would be quite tight.

He should be fine as long as when final timing doesn't go 100% according to the internet instructions he doesn't make 5 threads about it like other people have...
                            Yeah there really isn't that much space between the head and chain with the sprocket in place.

Even if you do manage to sneak it past the chain, you'll risk having your brand new guide slip out of your hands and drop all the way down to the oil pan. Much worse of a job to take off the pan than to retime the engine.
                            2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Thanks y'all! I promise I won't make 5 threads πŸ˜„

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

Yeah there really isn't that much space between the head and chain with the sprocket in place.

Even if you do manage to sneak it past the chain, you'll risk having your brand new guide slip out of your hands and drop all the way down to the oil pan. Much worse of a job to take off the pan than to retime the engine.
                                Your absolutely right, I forgot just how little space there was looking back at some photos.

Instagram

Comment

Working...
                                X