Heavy Duty exhaust hangers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Arith2 View Post
    So one disadvantage of a titanium exhaust is it literally vibrates itself apart at the welds. Do you think more solid mounts could help this?
    No— would be far, far worse for it.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
    2012 LMB/Black 128i
    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by DanAvoN7 View Post
      I recommend replacing with a set of Genuine OE BMW exhaust hangers. They aren't cheap at ~$48-$53 per hanger but these hold up well and will last a good amount of time with the weight of the stock section3. I've seen a few cars running the cheap OEM CRP, HJS, etc. hangers and they always failed not long after install. With a lightweight aftermarket exhaust the hangers won't see as much stress so the cheaper alternatives may hold up...
      Good to know, was just going to install new HJS hangers I have laying around on my SGT SCZA muffler while its up on the air. That muffler is probably 45lbs. Are they (HJS) really THAT bad? My OE hangers aren't too bad, maybe I should just leave them on if the HJS are inferior.
      2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
      Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
      Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
      RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
      Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post

Good to know, was just going to install new HJS hangers I have laying around on my SGT SCZA muffler while its up on the air. That muffler is probably 45lbs. Are they (HJS) really THAT bad? My OE hangers aren't too bad, maybe I should just leave them on if the HJS are inferior.
        The Scorza made version of that muffler was 25 lbs.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
        2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

I weighed it at 35-36 without the tips. Was over estimating the weight with the tips, but I'll bet the 4 double wall tips weigh at least 8lbs. I never weighed it on the scale with the tips attached.

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post
            I weighed it at 35-36 without the tips. Was over estimating the weight with the tips, but I'll bet the 4 double wall tips weigh at least 8lbs. I never weighed it on the scale with the tips attached.
            Interesting that it's so different for supposedly the same product.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
            2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

https://statusgruppe.com/product/bmw...ler-section-3/

They list the weight at 35lb, but that is definitely without tips! Those tips I have felt like they could be pushing 10lbs possibly if not more.l, but they are the double walled style. Not exactly a light muffler, but still much lighter than stock.

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
                Interesting that it's so different for supposedly the same product.
                Well they do state that it's a revised version with the following changes: We updated the internals (now stainless steel/ fiberglass packed), the Hanger System
                So yep that'll add some weight. Plus who knows if the material is the same.
                6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

Thread revival but I’ve gone through 3 sets of genuine BMW exhaust hangers now (exhaust is fettled but stock).

First set was when I bought the car on 75,000 miles / 16 years old. Second set was after a Nurburgring trip at circa 95,000 miles / 18 years old and the third was after an Anglesey track day at circa 105,000 miles / 19 years old.

The OE exhaust hangers seem to handle road driving fine but after I’ve put the car through it’s paces on track they fail.

My garage recommended Powerflex replacement bushes, however I wanted to check whether others running the stock exhaust system and track their car have also had this issue?

Comment

Originally posted by R60BBA View Post
                    Thread revival but I’ve gone through 3 sets of genuine BMW exhaust hangers now (exhaust is fettled but stock).

First set was when I bought the car on 75,000 miles / 16 years old. Second set was after a Nurburgring trip at circa 95,000 miles / 18 years old and the third was after an Anglesey track day at circa 105,000 miles / 19 years old.

The OE exhaust hangers seem to handle road driving fine but after I’ve put the car through it’s paces on track they fail.

My garage recommended Powerflex replacement bushes, however I wanted to check whether others running the stock exhaust system and track their car have also had this issue?
                    You sure you're not installing them backwards? Mine last ~75,000 miles/set, with extensive track use.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                    2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

I think an RE mount on the passenger side only is a good compromise all around. I had to do this simply because my aftermarket muffler would run into the evap box every so often.

At one point I ran all 3 RE mounts and that is overkill imo not to mention the notable increase in NVH.
                      Last edited by Cubieman; 04-28-2022, 11:37 AM.

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

You sure you're not installing them backwards? Mine last ~75,000 miles/set, with extensive track use.
                        Joker I’ll ask my mechanic.

Do you have a stock backbox?

Comment

Originally posted by R60BBA View Post

Joker I’ll ask my mechanic.

Do you have a stock backbox?
                          I wasn't kidding-- they're directional, and lots of people install them backwards.

I have the SS street-- which is only ~3 lbs lighter than stock.

Note how the part where it bolts to the muffler is closer to the back of the hanger. You can force it the other way around, but they fail faster if you do.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	165372

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                          2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

My stock ones were completely clapped out somewhere around 60 or 70k miles, the muffler was flying around. I replaced them with some "oe equivalent" ones and they were toast in like 2k miles already! So I bit the bullet and bought OE again, but filled the gaps with a soft silicone RTV. They are holding up great now. Firm but still compliant.

Comment

FCP sells hangers made by HJS. Does anyone know if they’re actually OEM and if they last as long as OE hangers?
                              Silver Track to Street Car Journal
                              Interlagos Blue Street Car Journal

Comment

Originally posted by SQ13 View Post
                                FCP sells hangers made by HJS. Does anyone know if they’re actually OEM and if they last as long as OE hangers?
                                No, avoid the HJS, only genuine BMW for these.

Instagram

Comment

Working...
                                X