Standup resistor mod DIY ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Standup resistor mod DIY ?

I saw the link to the resistor mod DIY on google from M3forums, but unfortunately that is now gone... anyone have a backup?

Originally posted by jayjpl View Post
    I saw the link to the resistor mod DIY on google from M3forums, but unfortunately that is now gone... anyone have a backup?
    there’s a few threads on other forums on which resistor to use. I used a 1k but that was on my previous m3.

A couple of points here guys: Firstly, this resistor fix is absolutely fantastic if you're suffering the symptoms described in the above thread. :D However, the outside temperature display is definitely NOT affected by this mod. What the above quote refers to is that the actual outside...
    Attached Files
    06 ZCP SMG | HTE CSL MAP QuaranTune | SL CSL Airbox | Eventuri Scoop | DMG Strut Bar | RE El Diablo | CPI Euro200R | AP Headers | Porsche BBK | ST XTA | TMS 3-Pulleys/F-Sway/Mono FCAB | AKG Trans/diff/Subframe/RTAB | SPL RCA | SGT SCZA Trunk | ACL | Beisan | Redish | AFD E85 |

Budget CSL MAP Conversion

Comment

interesting
      Last edited by old///MFanatic; 04-15-2022, 07:48 AM.
      6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

Is this for SMG cars?
        Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

Originally posted by COVID-19 View Post
          I used a 1k but that was on my previous m3.
          Optimal value of resistor to use for the mod is 680 ohms, as identified through extensive research by Steve Evans.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF8392.JPG
Views:	1597
Size:	202.2 KB
ID:	34605

Name:	DSCF8393.JPG
Views:	1344
Size:	175.3 KB
ID:	34607

Name:	DSCF8396.JPG
Views:	1446
Size:	172.5 KB
ID:	34606
          Last edited by WOLFN8TR; 06-14-2020, 09:28 PM.
          TTFS Engine/SMG Tune - CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA
          Brembo 996 - ARC-8's - BWS 500S 9k/11k - Valentine 1 - BlueBus - Orion V4's
          Evolve Eventuri
          - VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser/CSL Trunk

Comment

Originally posted by WOLFN8TR View Post

Optimal value of resistor to use for the mod is 680 ohms, as identified through extensive research by Steve Evans.
            This is right. I'm using the 680 ohms based on the information from M3F. It's not too much. I've relocated the SMG and I've still left the resistor in and it hasn't messed with anything.

Comment

I'm still not convinced that this mod has any benefits unless you're seeing a specific code about the temperature being too hot. However, it probably is a reasonable precaution to take if drive-ability is your highest priority. Any SMG experts want to weigh in?

Comment

The resistor mod is NOT a solution. All it does is reduce the temperature sensor reading overworking your unit. Fluid temp increases, internal and/or external leakage occurs. You must maintain your hydraulic unit by replacing the hydraulic units internal and external seals.

Comment

Originally posted by Good View Post
                  The resistor mod is NOT a solution. All it does is reduce the temperature sensor reading overworking your unit. Fluid temp increases, internal and/or external leakage occurs. You must maintain your hydraulic unit by replacing the hydraulic units internal and external seals.
                  I agree, this just prolongs the inevitable doom of the SMG pump.
                  TTFS Engine/SMG Tune - CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA
                  Brembo 996 - ARC-8's - BWS 500S 9k/11k - Valentine 1 - BlueBus - Orion V4's
                  Evolve Eventuri
                  - VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser/CSL Trunk

Comment

I wouldn't do this "mod".

Comment

Hi huys, what number of pin on the unit in the engine bay it is pls? Thank you so much

Comment

Originally posted by hanzino_161 View Post
                        Hi huys, what number of pin on the unit in the engine bay it is pls? Thank you so much
                        It should be pin13 of the 40-pin connector X53004

Comment

This "mod" will only fast track SMG motor wear. You probably have internal pressure loss. You will need to either replace your SMG pump, or rebuild with fresh viton seals.

Comment

Working...
                          X