Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What makes a later model-year M3 more desirable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What makes a later model-year M3 more desirable?

I went from a 2004 M3 to a 2002 recently. They roughly had the same mileage, but the 02 was in much nicer shape and was a single-owner car. I bought/sold the '04 for the same price as the '02.
    As a precautionary measure, I just got the rod bearings taken care of again (originally done under recall but now at 120k, figured it was time again).

In my experience, the '02 I purchased is much nicer than the '04 I had. This car has 120k miles on it but it looks and feels like a 20k mile car (it spent its life in California).

As an aside, in my opinion I got the 2002 M3 for a steal because it's in much nicer shape than the purchase price would have you think.

Other than the original recall for connecting rod bearings for early-MY cars, what makes an '04 more desirable than an '02?
    Last edited by scubastove; 06-25-2020, 06:13 PM.

MK60, dash that can be coded for oil level, later model LCM, MSS54HP, competition pack (if applicable), and a few aesthetic things like the trunk handle and LED tails. Most of these things can be easily retrofitted (MK60 being the most notable exception).

I also own an 02 and it just wasn't worth the price difference between the car I bought and the facelift models I was looking at. Plus, we don't get that terrible eyesore on top of the engine and have reusable rod bolts with a much simpler torquing sequence!
    2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

The MK60 DSC/ABS unit. It's less intrusive when on and can be re-programmed to work with quicker ratio steering racks. I *think* any MK60 can be programmed to have M-Track mode, too? The MK20 DSC that came on < 09/2002 cars is just strictly worse and really limits your ability to do a steering rack swap.

Comment

The differences aren't huge but it might be important for some people.

ABS module: MK20 was upgraded to MK60
        exterior: different trunk handle (2002 has "narrow", 2004 has "wide"); LED tail lights
        interior: HVAC control panel is different in newer ones
        engine: crankcase vent hose is different/more complicated in later cars; MSS54HP DME in later cars

that's all I can think off right now. I'm sure others will chime in.
        Last edited by zzyzx85; 06-25-2020, 05:15 PM.
        "your BMW has how many miles!?"

2003 (2/03) M3 coupe Imolarot/Black 6 M/T - JRZ RS One 450/550 - Ground Control Street - SDW RTAB - TMS Street ARCA - Redish V2 - TMS solid subframe bushings - Volk Racing G2 18x9.5 - StopTech ST40 355 (coming soon) - Beisan Systems VANOS parts - WPC OE rod bearings - Karbonius CSL airbox - Kassel MSS54HP DME - Kassel MAP sensor - Euro headers and Section 1 - SuperSprint Sport - Recaro Speed - Schroth Rallye 4 QF - AS 30% SSK

build/journal
        ig: @zzyzx85

Comment

MK60 wasn’t an LCI exclusive. My Jan 03 build has mk60

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post
            MK60, dash that can be coded for oil level, later model LCM, MSS54HP, competition pack (if applicable), and a few aesthetic things like the trunk handle and LED tails. Most of these things can be easily retrofitted (MK60 being the most notable exception).

I also own an 02 and it just wasn't worth the price difference between the car I bought and the facelift models I was looking at. Plus, we don't get that terrible eyesore on top of the engine and have reusable rod bolts with a much simpler torquing sequence!
            It sounds like for the Average Joe, any M3 is a good choice (6spd coupe of course!).

Comment

They also came with front strut bar too I believe.

Comment

It's really the cumulation of hundreds of tiny things. If you look at any part on realoem, you'll most likely see it went through multiple revisions/improvements by the end of production. Big, hugely impactful changes exist (like MK60 DSC, which I would consider a baseline requirement for any car I bought), but also small things like the improved mesh screen on the oil pump pickup tube... or oil return line going from rubber to metal... or bi xenons vs single xenons... or clusters that can display M track mode vs those that can't... or LCMs that can have ripple blink turn signals vs those than can't... or coming with a strut tower brace vs not. Etc. Almost every aspect of the car was improved over the production run, some things significantly.

For me, the inflection point of "want to own" vs "wait" would be the MK60. But, all else equal, the later the car was made, the better.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                2012 LMB/Black 128i
                2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by scubastove View Post

It sounds like for the Average Joe, any M3 is a good choice (6spd coupe of course!).
                  Agreed. And besides that, I've actually enjoyed retrofitting everything. The one thing I am not looking forward to (and probably won't do because of the hassle) is the MK60 swap.
                  2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

Comment

My 03 prefacelift is perfectly good compared to my old 06. And it was half the price.

Current:

1997 BMW M3 - Boston Green/Modena
                    2003 BMW M3 · Coupe · 6MT - Alpine White/M-Texture Alcantara

Comment

If you want have all the fancy stuff the post facelift M3s have, it's going to cost a few thousand and take many many hours. Also rubber doesn't need miles to crap out. The older it is, the sooner it's going to die. Cosmetics are usually in worst condition in older M3s. In your case, cosmetics are good. LEDs are a must in my opinion. Parts are revised due to failures or lack of efficiency. The rule of thumb on any car is late model cars of any generation have the kinks worked out much more. Subframe wasn't mentioned but the rear subframe is even updated. If we compare an 02 to an 04, I doubt regular owners change oil based on time. The 02 had oil potentially sitting in there months longer than it should have.
                      This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
                      https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

The MK20 cars are actually dangerous, on track, once you get fast because of ice mode.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                        2012 LMB/Black 128i
                        2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
                          The MK20 cars are actually dangerous, on track, once you get fast because of ice mode.
                          Interestingly enough, I never had ice mode kick in during the two Colorado winters in which I used the M3 as a daily driver. Seems a bit short sighted of Bosch to include such a "feature" that only seems to activate in situations where it is actually dangerous, i.e. on track. Is an MK60 the only way to fix this while retaining ABS (even though those still do have an --admittedly harder to falsely trigger-- ice mode)?

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
                            Okay, but I hear about people with all sorts of other cars experiencing "ice mode" on track, including some with 4 channel ABS. It sounds like this is highly situational, but what's the work around for early cars with MK20? Can you retrofit MK60? I have an early 01 for example.
                            Last edited by Nate047; 06-26-2020, 04:20 PM.
                            http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
                            '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
                            '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Originally posted by ATB88 View Post
                              The MK60 DSC/ABS unit. It's less intrusive when on and can be re-programmed to work with quicker ratio steering racks. I *think* any MK60 can be programmed to have M-Track mode, too? The MK20 DSC that came on < 09/2002 cars is just strictly worse and really limits your ability to do a steering rack swap.
                              Damn, so a 712 yellow tag steering rack won’t work on <09/2002 m3’s??
                              Last edited by btran86; 06-27-2020, 07:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X