Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are there any DRL options that are not angel eyes/halo styled?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are there any DRL options that are not angel eyes/halo styled?

I'm always driving with my car's headlights on and use them as DRL's. I was never really a fan of the angel eyes setups for e46's, especially having to tie into the main headlight wiring. I was wondering if there were any aftermarket options out there that aren't angel eyes styled?

You can code the center set of lights (not the xenons) to be on all the time. Generally, they're only used to flash people but can be programmed to be on all the time. They still function to flash people with this programming.
    Phoenix Yellow e46m3 Build Thread
    Japanrot Red E46 330i Msport k24/dct/turbo Build Thread

Comment

Yeah what Liam said. Looks like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20191123_213034.jpg
Views:	1560
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	39799

Name:	20191123_213131.jpg
Views:	1443
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	39800

(The dimmed turn signals can also be enabled or disabled with the DRLs)
      2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

I like that idea, do we just go to any BMW dealership to get this coded in (for a price of course)?

Comment

I'm not sure if the above are talking about the same thing. But a factory setting for DRL in the US was to light up the center two lamps. It did this when key on, and no corner marker or others lights are on. BMW I read in articles picked the best spectrum color to be seen in the daylight. To do this they ran the bulb about 1/2 power to achieve it.
          Now the above photo looks pretty bright, and has the corner lights on. So not sure if that's the usa DRL on.

Another option is to hook up "city lights". These are a small (5w?) bulb and socket that light up the headlamp reflector. It's a euro spec thing and the lamp has the hole for it already.
          6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

Originally posted by oldFanatic View Post
            I'm not sure if the above are talking about the same thing. But a factory setting for DRL in the US was to light up the center two lamps. It did this when key on, and no corner marker or others lights are on. BMW I read in articles picked the best spectrum color to be seen in the daylight. To do this they ran the bulb about 1/2 power to achieve it.
            Now the above photo looks pretty bright, and has the corner lights on. So not sure if that's the usa DRL on.

Another option is to hook up "city lights". These are a small (5w?) bulb and socket that light up the headlamp reflector. It's a euro spec thing and the lamp has the hole for it already.
            For anyone interested in retrofitting the Euro city light set up, the following website by “Bimmer Brothers” provides a step by step procedure for accomplishing this. I saved this from a dated thread from the old M3F site.😁

BMW E46 European City Light Retrofit Overview Car modding can be a funny thing. People in the United States like to have European options on their cars and sometimes Europeans want US options on their cars. To make my E46 … Continued

Here is a screen shot:

Name:	CA087BFC-D67D-4D81-AE5D-593549BF7399.jpeg
Views:	859
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	39922

Comment

Originally posted by oldFanatic View Post
              It's probably just the picture. I've coded both dimmed high beams and dimmed turn signals to act as daytime running lights. So yes those are the factory DRLs (minus thr turn signals of course).

Originally posted by M3_CJ View Post
              I like that idea, do we just go to any BMW dealership to get this coded in (for a price of course)?
              BMW dealer is an option, but they'll probably charge you the minimum labor rate. You could also get NCSExpert running on a laptop and do it yourself. There's a bunch of tutorials online about how to do this, including one in the coding section of this forum.
              2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Working...
              X