Best sounding exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Arith2 View Post

Don't speed, floor it in traffic, or drive like a dick. It's quite easy but 90% of people on the road don't understand the last one. I just don't drive around flaunting my exhaust. There is no trade off. It's how everyone should drive and I think you should reconsider your driving habits if you think it's a tradeoff.

Here's a lovely cold start
    I definitely think it's a tradeoff when you are constantly trying to keep the volume of your exhaust under control. The S54 makes peak torque at 4900rpm and it is nice to be able to utilize the midrange without worrying about excessive exhaust volume. No dickish driving behavior required. Then, there are trackday dB limits to consider.

Comment

Originally posted by Arith2 View Post

Don't speed, floor it in traffic, or drive like a dick. It's quite easy but 90% of people on the road don't understand the last one. I just don't drive around flaunting my exhaust. There is no trade off. It's how everyone should drive and I think you should reconsider your driving habits if you think it's a tradeoff.
      ...Don't drive like a dick? The e46 M3 isn't a very car when not driven like a dick

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
      2012 LMB/Black 128i
      2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

I'm *eventually* headed the CSL intake / quieter exhaust route but for now I've got mine to a point where it sounds absolutely incredible above 4000 rpm screaming through a tunnel and is at least tolerable at lower rpm with *almost* zero rasp and drone. Setup is Fabspeed headers, Fabspeed HJS catted section 1, SGT resonated section 2 x-pipe and Rouge El Diablo section 3.

I started with just the headers and section 1 with stock section 2 and 3 and hated it (too quiet plus rasp). I was like, I did all this work on the headers for this??? Then added the El Diablo and liked it much more but the rasp and drone were amplified. Finally added the resonated section 2 and it mellowed everything out at low rpm and gave everything a more bass like sound. Still have a slight "rasp event" right at 2500-2800 rpm but you can drive around it gear wise. It really does scream and sound amazing at high rpm.

Closest thing I've heard captured is this youtube video at around the 0.40 mark. There's some debate in the comments on what all he was running but definitely AP headers and El Diablo. This video actually led me to going with the El Diablo.

I agree these cars are a mess exhaust wise and better off going CSL and something like a SS Street.

Last edited by Phoenix///M3; 07-06-2020, 08:06 AM.

Comment

Euro Headers
          Euro Cats
          stock or SS resonated section 2
          Dinan Muffler

imo the Dinan muffler in this configuration is the best "sport" setup for this platform. a great exhaust note and audible enough to be worth the money spent, but not so loud that it's obnoxious to either possibly you or definitely bystanders.

if you can live with the dummy tips

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix///M3 View Post
            I'm *eventually* headed the CSL intake / quieter exhaust route but for now I've got mine to a point where it sounds absolutely incredible above 4000 rpm screaming through a tunnel and is at least tolerable at lower rpm with *almost* zero rasp and drone. Setup is Fabspeed headers, Fabspeed HJS catted section 1, SGT resonated section 2 x-pipe and Rouge El Diablo section 3.

I started with just the headers and section 1 with stock section 2 and 3 and hated it (too quiet plus rasp). I was like, I did all this work on the headers for this??? Then added the El Diablo and liked it much more but the rasp and drone were amplified. Finally added the resonated section 2 and it mellowed everything out at low rpm and gave everything a more bass like sound. Still have a slight "rasp event" right at 2500-2800 rpm but you can drive around it gear wise. It really does scream and sound amazing at high rpm.

Closest thing I've heard captured is this youtube video at around the 0.40 mark. There's some debate in the comments on what all he was running but definitely AP headers and El Diablo. This video actually led me to going with the El Diablo.

I agree these cars are a mess exhaust wise and better off going CSL and something like a SS Street.
            That does sound pretty good.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

For reference:
              AC Schnitzer exhaust with custom tips (aka REMUS). Stock US Spec everything else. This and the DINAN setup were the only ones I considered to keep the sound as clean as possible but I wouldn't say no to a full supersprint setup.

Excited to open it up with some hatless headers in the future
              Last edited by RoyalFlushness; 07-06-2020, 10:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

...Don't drive like a dick? The e46 M3 isn't a very car when not driven like a dick
                Unfortunately true. One mans dick driving is another mans pleasure.

Comment

My current setup sounds great imo. im sure others out there have similar.

Active Autowerke castles headers
                  2 Ar25s in section 1
                  stock section 2
                  Supersprint race section 3

Comment

Originally posted by M3Ollie View Post
                    My current setup sounds great imo. im sure others out there have similar.

Active Autowerke castles headers
                    2 Ar25s in section 1
                    stock section 2
                    Supersprint race section 3

fair warning to anyone reading this since this at one point a very popular setup on the older forums
                    this setup is LOUD. loud at the top end, and unfortunately, horrifically droney at the bottom end.

sounds great when you're on it tho

Comment

I've got SS Race + Karbonius CSL Intake - I find that the CSL intake is actually pretty quiet unless you're at WOT, but that could be my bum hearing from the years of listening to the SS.

Comment

Originally posted by Icecream View Post
                        One mans dick driving is another mans pleasure.
                        This sounds like it should be dirty, but I'm pretty sure it isn't.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                        2012 LMB/Black 128i
                        2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Sharocks View Post
                          The S54 exhaust note is garbage.
                          QFT

Comment

I’m in the process of installing SGT headers and already have Borla section 3. Stock section 1 & 2. Additionally, I have an OG el Diablo with Ti tips. I like the look of the el Diablo more but I’m worried it will be too loud. Almost certain I’ll have to do something to section 1 like resonators or cats or both. I want to try the exhausts back to back and then sell the one I like the least.

This one has some rasp but sounds pretty mean with just headers and borla.

bmw, m3, exhaust, e46, borla, fabspeed, supersprint, headers, eisenmann, active, autowerke, dinan, kreissieg, akrapovic

Comment

Originally posted by usdmej View Post

fair warning to anyone reading this since this at one point a very popular setup on the older forums
                              this setup is LOUD. loud at the top end, and unfortunately, horrifically droney at the bottom end.

sounds great when you're on it tho

Mine does not drone with the 2 ar25s I did drone with stock section 1 and even when adding just 1 ar20, but honestly no drone in mine with 2 ar25s sounds perfect. Whenever the csl wheels come in I’ll make a video of it.
                              Last edited by M3Ollie; 07-06-2020, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X