No announcement yet.

Best sounding exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does the ECU not control the VANOS? So those settings don't natively adjust for fuel quality, fluctuating A/F ratios, dense v thin air, weaker spark plugs, etc.? You're telling me VANOS is a zero safety margin system?

I can accept the need for a tune but I also need to separate science from fiction. Most ECUs can adjust for cams as part of the built in safety margin.

maw
    Last edited by maw1124; 11-26-2022, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by maw1124 View Post
      Does the ECU not control the VANOS? So those settings don't natively adjust for fuel quality, fluctuating A/F ratios, dense v thin air, weaker spark plugs, etc.? You're telling me VANOS is a zero safety margin system?

I can accept the need for a tune but I also need to separate science from fiction. Most ECUs can adjust for cams as part of the built in safety margin.

maw
      I think the reason cams didn't work right or make optimal power in the early days of the S54 is because very few tuners knew how to adjust the VANOS tables to get them dialed in. That's if my memory serves me right as I gleaned that info from reading old forum posts and dynos.

What you're proposing is along the same lines of not wanting to get a new tune if you throw a different (bigger) turbo on a forced induction car, and potentially dangerous/harmful to the motor. Sure, the ECU can adjust for different variables but there comes a point where something can go very wrong if the (relatively ancient) ECU can't handle or compensate for the relatively drastic changes.

Just my opinion, I wouldn't risk tanking a motor when you can get a very high quality custom tune from HTE for $350 and it'll run perfect and make a lot more power with the dialed in settings.
      Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

Originally posted by EthanolTurbo View Post

I think the reason cams didn't work right or make optimal power in the early days of the S54 is because very few tuners knew how to adjust the VANOS tables to get them dialed in. That's if my memory serves me right as I gleaned that info from reading old forum posts and dynos.

What you're proposing is along the same lines of not wanting to get a new tune if you throw a different (bigger) turbo on a forced induction car, and potentially dangerous/harmful to the motor. Sure, the ECU can adjust for different variables but there comes a point where something can go very wrong if the (relatively ancient) ECU can't handle or compensate for the relatively drastic changes.

Just my opinion, I wouldn't risk tanking a motor when you can get a very high quality custom tune from HTE for $350 and it'll run perfect and make a lot more power with the dialed in settings.
        No doubt, I hear you. And no, I wouldn't throw thousands at cams and skimp on a tune unless I was certain it was within the 3/5/7% safety zone. I was just wondering if anyone knew whether different profile cams were within or outside that zone.

On my AMG S55 Kompressor, cams don't need a tune, but going with a 9% smaller supercharger pulley absolutely does (but it gives you 10% more power). That car does NOT like to run lean (3 valve, twin spark).

I'm just trying to figure out how much of a difference are cams on this engine. Thanks for your thoughts.

maw

Comment

Don't have cams on my engine but have talked to a few people who do and their engines did not run right without a tune.

I have also run the CSL tune on my car with stock cams and while driveability was fine, AFRs were not. Car also made 9 whp more with just a canned tune (i.e. not optimized for my specific engine). Both of these things lead me to believe that the relatively mild jump from CSL to stock cams was outside the adjustment range of the DME. Can only imagine that these issues will get exacerbated with more aggressive cams.
          2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

That's all good stuff. I have to admit (back somewhat on thread), I really just want to hear it more gnarly out of the back because of the cams🤣😂

maw

Comment

Originally posted by Casa de Mesa View Post
              I'm getting ready to install:
              • AP Headers
              • Fabspeed catted (HJS cats) section 1
              • SS oversized and resonated section 2
              • SS Race section 3
              Couple things before install:

1) I hope it's not too, too loud. This isn't a daily car for me but...
              2) The Fabspeed quality is incredible. Yeah, it's probably the simplest section to get right, but damn they are nice pipes. I wish Fabspeed did a full system.
              ​

Posting some videos of my setup for a reference point only. My setup is quoted above. This is before the CSL intake. I'll like be quieting down the car with a SS Sport or Street version at some point. It's loud... and with the CSL intake, hearing the induction noise bouncing off cliff/canyon walls at WOT is heaven.

Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue​

Comment

Originally posted by whoissuprme View Post

​The only problem there would be shipping it across the country lol

Ok well that settles that lmao!
                Ok finally placed the order today. Ordered the SS 63.5mm non res section1 and the 63.5mm resonated section 2.

Only thing that sucks is that the section 1 has to come from Italy. Hopefully should be here in under 2 weeks. Section 2 will be here in a few days
                2006 Alpine White/Black ZCP 6-Speed

Join the E46 M3 Owners FB Group HERE

Comment

Working...
                X